Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR20 fail on setup

CareerOppo
Aspirant

RBR20 fail on setup

I've had a lot of Netgear products over the years and they've always delivered.

But I bought a new RBR20 the other day which I picked up today.

Using the factory SSID and password, trying to log in to WiFi on iPhone gives me "Incorrect password". Same thing on a Windows PC gives me "Can't connect to this network".

Wired internet works though.

Trying get into the admin page to try and fix the WiFi problem using default username and password just produces a neverending login loop both on Chrome and Edge.

Clicking Cancel during this loop sends me to password recovery but to do that, I have to enter the cities where I and my mother were born. Which I've never had the chance to input.

Netgear Suppport page says I bought the product in June (wrong) so I am not eligible for support.

Trying to register the router on MyNetgear gives me "This serial number is already registered to another customer". It's a new product!

Tried a factory reset, no change.

Sorry for venting a bit but this is my worst experience ever with a new electronic product.

Can you help?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR20 fail on setup

So with a wired PC and Say IE11 or FF browser connected to the RBR and pressing the reset button in back for 15 seconds then release, can you walk thru the setup wizard found at 192.168.1.1 in the browser and complete the setup? 

@CareerOppo wrote:

I've had a lot of Netgear products over the years and they've always delivered.

But I bought a new RBR20 the other day which I picked up today.

Using the factory SSID and password, trying to log in to WiFi on iPhone gives me "Incorrect password". Same thing on a Windows PC gives me "Can't connect to this network".

Wired internet works though.

Trying get into the admin page to try and fix the WiFi problem using default username and password just produces a neverending login loop both on Chrome and Edge.

Clicking Cancel during this loop sends me to password recovery but to do that, I have to enter the cities where I and my mother were born. Which I've never had the chance to input.

Netgear Suppport page says I bought the product in June (wrong) so I am not eligible for support.

Trying to register the router on MyNetgear gives me "This serial number is already registered to another customer". It's a new product!

Tried a factory reset, no change.

Sorry for venting a bit but this is my worst experience ever with a new electronic product.

Can you help?

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

it sounds like it wasn't a new device. Maybe someone bought it and excellently re-wrapped/returned it. 

Here's your options.

1. Return/exchange it if you just bought it. Its more than likey been setup according to what you're experiencing.

2. Factory reset it. Push and hold reset for 7-10 seconds while powered up. The lights should blink. this'll get you back to the factory settings and you can use the defaults to login and do your setup.

I'd probably lean towards the return/exchange as its been registered already.  If you keep it as is, you'll have a shorter warranty, no free 90 days support, and who knows what happened with whoever set it up prior. 

Kind of up to you which route you choose. 

Where did you purchase it from?

Message 3 of 6
CareerOppo
Aspirant

Pushing the reset button for 30 seconds worked. I tried 7-10 seconds earlier but apparently that wasn't long enough. So now I've been able to log on both to WiFi and to the admin pages. It still seems pretty buggy to me; I can't turn on the guest network and it randomly throws me out of the admin area every now and then. And it's clearly been owned by someone else. So I'll see if I keep it.

Message 4 of 6
CareerOppo
Aspirant

No, it clearly isn't new. It was bought from an un-fishy large Swedish online electronics store, CDON, though.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

You might get the FW updated first on the RBR. Manually download the FW file for the RBS and RBR. Use a wired PC and web browser to apply the RBS first then RBR. You need only 15 second press on the reset button. Do this once more after the FW is applied on the RBR. Clear all browser caches and then setup from scratch. If you still noticed that the web pages and features are still not working, I would return the system and get another one. Ask for new if possible. 

@CareerOppo wrote:

Pushing the reset button for 30 seconds worked. I tried 7-10 seconds earlier but apparently that wasn't long enough. So now I've been able to log on both to WiFi and to the admin pages. It still seems pretty buggy to me; I can't turn on the guest network and it randomly throws me out of the admin area every now and then. And it's clearly been owned by someone else. So I'll see if I keep it.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7