Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR20 how to write logs to a text file

Reddogab54
Aspirant

RBR20 how to write logs to a text file

How can I get the logs from the route sent as a text file rather then emailing it in the body of html . It should really be sent as an attachment.. Is there anyway we can get this done? 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR20 how to write logs to a text file

That's a cool idea.  Since Orbi log files are not very long (about 230 lines), what I do is Copy and Paste them into an Excel file (one file for each months.  I have files going back to March). Then, I delete the email message.  I get at least one log file a day and would wind up with a huge collection of text files.  With the Excel file, I can do things like sort them. I do a couple of text replacements to get the fields lined up, and then I can sort them by category and date.

The "Idea Exchange" is where customers suggest new features: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home 

Message 2 of 7
Reddogab54
Aspirant

Thanks I will try the link and see if I can get them to add it. It would make things easier to automate scanning of the files looking for breaches or attempted breaches.  I only send the logs once a week but it would be good to be able to create a history of what is using your router. 

Message 3 of 7
Reddogab54
Aspirant

I really believe this should be mandatory as it would allow users to easily analyze their logs over long periods of time. 

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

This leads to another questions:

• Why is the log file schedule setting on the EMail page rather than the "Log" page?
  • If my Orbi is set to send the log when "Full" and I get about 230 lines every day, how can your Orbi accumulate a log for an entire week?  Seems (to me) that "Full means Full - No More Room".  Did you check all the boxes for things to include and you log DoS attempts?

Message 5 of 7
Reddogab54
Aspirant

Yes I checked all the boxes. Note sure where the logs are being kept but suspected if there is a limit on full they may be kept in memory which will be finite. Really not sure of the architecture they are using for the orbi and its logs but it seems very simple. 

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

The log file is in /tmp/log, so it is in memory.  But, the file is very small.  When you get a weekly log, how many lines are in it?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7