Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR20 instability after 2.5.1.16->2.6.1.36 upgrade

WirelessViking
Aspirant

RBR20 instability after 2.5.1.16->2.6.1.36 upgrade

As stated in the headline, I've just upgraded my RBR20 from 2.5.1.16 tpo 2.6.1.36 and have since experienced a lot of instability on my wireless network. Connectivity to core internet services is very "on and off", seems to dip for a bit and then come back.

Have two RBS20 satellites with wired backhaul. These are both brought up to 2.6.1.38.

Others with similar problems?

Considering a downgrade, but thought it would be good to have the latest security patches in production..

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 

Message 2 of 16
WirelessViking
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 

No factory reset and setup from scratch done. Would it be possible to do that in a simple way, like for example backing up the config and reloading that after factory reset? Configuring everything again would be really tedious..

Distance between router and satellites is roughly 20m (60ft?). But they are on wired backhaul.

Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can back up to the config file. I would test the system out after the reset and setup first from scratch and test initially, then apply the backup config file after making sure you symtoms have changed. 

Are the RBS directly wired to the RBR or is there a LAN switch in between? 

Message 4 of 16
vajim
Master

Aren't there reported problems with 2.6.1.36?

Message 5 of 16
WirelessViking
Aspirant

Hi, thanks, there's a gigabit switch in between. Have had it for quite some time and it's never been a problem so far.

Might try to do a reset.

What I've also noticed is intermittent purple LED on the RBR20. Guess this means it's having issues with internet connectivity. However, nothing has changed on that and the problems started right after the firmware upgrade. My ISP is super solid and they have not indicated any operational issues....

Message 6 of 16
WirelessViking
Aspirant

@vajim wrote:

Don't know.... Anyone?

Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Try a reset and setup from scratch. If this fails to correct the problem, can revert back to what had been working before. 

@WirelessViking wrote:

Hi, thanks, there's a gigabit switch in between. Have had it for quite some time and it's never been a problem so far.

Might try to do a reset.

What I've also noticed is intermittent purple LED on the RBR20. Guess this means it's having issues with internet connectivity. However, nothing has changed on that and the problems started right after the firmware upgrade. My ISP is super solid and they have not indicated any operational issues....

Message 8 of 16
vajim
Master

@WirelessViking wrote:

@vajim wrote:

Don't know.... Anyone?

The search results has several with negative comments

Message 9 of 16
MainerH55
Aspirant

Sorry, no problems here. I haven't even rebooted it once since installing the firmware weeks ago.
Message 10 of 16
WirelessViking
Aspirant

Hi,

after trying to power cycle everything I still had the same issues. Intermittent outages on WAN connectivty for 3-10 seconds approx a handful of times per hour.

So I backed up my config, reverted the RBR20 to 2.5.1.16 but kept the RBS20's ( 2 of them) on 2.6.1.38). Applied the same config file. Now it seems stable again. 

Conclusion; 2.6.1.36 is not super reliable.

My setup looks like this:

RBS20

<wired through Linksys LGS116P> RBR20 <direct> ISP FTTH Modem

RBS20

Message 11 of 16
vajim
Master

@WirelessViking wrote:

That's too bad.....perhaps next time hold off the urge to update your firmware prior to doing some homework.  

Message 12 of 16
WirelessViking
Aspirant

@vajim wrote:

@WirelessViking wrote:

That's too bad.....perhaps next time hold off the urge to update your firmware prior to doing some homework.  

I will for sure - because clearly Netgear needs to firm up their QA before releasing stuff.

Btw - the automatic upgrades on the router have never worked as they should so from time to time you need to have a look if a new version is available. The announced security fixes which typically catch my attention.

Message 13 of 16
vajim
Master

@WirelessViking wrote:

@vajim wrote:

@WirelessViking wrote:

I will for sure - because clearly Netgear needs to firm up their QA before releasing stuff.

Btw - the automatic upgrades on the router have never worked as they should so from time to time you need to have a look if a new version is available. The announced security fixes which typically catch my attention.

Agree....what I've had success with, is to do nothing.  IF my system starts to act up (and even then you can't be sure it's firmware related) I then check for a firmware update.  The last time I did this, the firmware I updated to had been out for almost a year.  Worked for me.  The ones that you'll find back in here crying are those who update everytime a new version is posted somewhere.  And then there are the Gurus who know the firmware is BAD and say nothing but other than to say that it works on their system so it should work on your system.  This whole firmware update mess started because users whined when Netgear would push updates without asking.  Users wanted choice.  The last I heard was that the only updates that get pushed auto pilot are those that contain major security issues.  It's your choice, choose wisely.

Message 14 of 16
WirelessViking
Aspirant

@vajim wrote:

@WirelessViking wrote:

@vajim wrote:

@WirelessViking wrote:

Agree....what I've had success with, is to do nothing.  IF my system starts to act up (and even then you can't be sure it's firmware related) I then check for a firmware update.  The last time I did this, the firmware I updated to had been out for almost a year.  Worked for me.  The ones that you'll find back in here crying are those who update everytime a new version is posted somewhere.  And then there are the Gurus who know the firmware is BAD and say nothing but other than to say that it works on their system so it should work on your system.  This whole firmware update mess started because users whined when Netgear would push updates without asking.  Users wanted choice.  The last I heard was that the only updates that get pushed auto pilot are those that contain major security issues.  It's your choice, choose wisely.

Totally. What is the really strange to me is that even if you manually go for the "check for updates" it won't tell you there is one. After a while I got suspsicious - and sure enough there was a much newer version available online. The version jump (2.5->2.6) indicated substantial and important changes which is why I thought I would go for it. Now burnt I will be more conservative going forward.

Message 15 of 16
vajim
Master

@WirelessViking wrote:

Totally. What is the really strange to me is that even if you manually go for the "check for updates" it won't tell you there is one. After a while I got suspsicious - and sure enough there was a much newer version available online. The version jump (2.5->2.6) indicated substantial and important changes which is why I thought I would go for it. Now burnt I will be more conservative going forward.

Yes....which would make you believe that for those that do upgrade at the earliest opportunity, most had to really dig for it.  It may be (and of course I have no proof) that those who jump at the first chance to upgrade are in fact beta testers.  I have seen cases where updates will come out and at first it's full of problems then as time goes on it gets better.  Now as we all know a firmware version numbering is suppose to remain intact whereas if the version is modified, then then the number is changed.  I don't know just an observation.  I wish you all the best.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7