Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR20 just randomly dropping connection!

Goldentwig
Follower

RBR20 just randomly dropping connection!

I am so frustrated! We have the Orbi RBR 20 mesh network set up and it has randomly gone offline with no explanation at least 4 times in the past 9 days. My kids are trying to do online virtual schooling and it is causing them to miss class. We also just missed a nonrefundable paid class on Outschool this morning because it’s been out for the last 75 minutes. My Middle Schooler needs to check in online every hour or so for attendance purposes. When I tried to get tech-support on August 24, it said that my 1 year of tech support had ended on August 23! 😫

This mesh system has not been quite as reliable as I would have liked. Our RING doorbell downstairs is only about 15 feet away from the satellite router, but frequently tells me that the network signal is not strong enough for the live video signal to work. Our entire house is only about 1800 ft.², so this system should have been plenty strong enough for our needs. Our ISP download speeds from Spectrum clock in at over 200 Mbsp.

At this point, I am frustrated because Netgear will not give me any customer support without payment to even answer my questions, and I am looking at just returning the whole system to Costco for a full refund and buying a different router. I don’t like the idea of all that hassle, but we cannot keep doing this throughout the school year. We did not have problems over the summer with it dropping our signal like this so often. Does anybody have an idea of what’s going on? Do these devices just give out exactly one year after purchase? What other devices are more reliable? I don’t want to spend $400 on an oversized mesh system that is more than I need.
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR20 just randomly dropping connection!

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 2 of 3
Mstrbig
Master

Re: RBR20 just randomly dropping connection!

Do you have a Spectrum modem and router? How are you connected?

You said RBS20, that is 1 router. How many satellites do you have and how are they placed?

Taking it back and getting another manufacturer will not solve your problem.

Based on your size home, taking into consideration walls, wiring, appliance and electronics interference, WIFI band congestion, etc. you should have 1 router and 2 satellites, and place them far enough apart for coverage.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7