Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR20 quit working today

doesorbiwork
Tutor

RBR20 quit working today

No idea where to find things like model version, firmware. Windows 10. Chrome Browser.

Suddenly tonight many websites, including Netgear websites, give 404/401/ secruity errors. can't even access the ORBI, it won't accept my password or security questions. 

Reconnected using my old router. Everything works fine.

Submitted a ticket 1-1/2 hours ago - no response yet. Looked online, found the advice to do a factory reset. that doesn't work - same problems. 

I have only had this a month. If this is what I can expect I want my money back - I will get Google Wifi. 

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
doesorbiwork
Tutor

It seems to be running and stable. 

Since the phone app doesn't work when the Orbi doesn't work and online support is useless I suppose that you are just on your own. 

It's really annoying that factory reset failed to work several times then suddenly worked. One more failure form this setup and I'll try to get my money back.

Thanks guys.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 15

All Replies
doesorbiwork
Tutor

No responce to my support ticket in over 2 hours - after I spent an hour and a half trying to fix this from the "community" advice of factory reset. 

Apparently they don't have a fix, or don't give a **bleep**. 

Message 2 of 15

Seems to be a duplicate of this one:

**bleep** orbi and Netgear - NETGEAR Communities

Provide a coherent explanation of what is going on and someone might be able to help.

Message 3 of 15
doesorbiwork
Tutor

Windows 10, Chrome or IE.

Try to go to websites - get either a 401 or 404 error with Chrome on most websites - a few open.The Netgear websites won't open with a "privacy error".

IE won't open - "privacy error".

Change to my old Netgear router - everything works fine.

Did the "factory "reset" through the detailed procedure in Technical Support - no improvement.  

Netgear Support responded after 10:30 last night - told me try a different browser, try a different device, then gave the same instructions for a factory reset.

Tried again after work tonight - same result. We will see how long the so called "support" takes to respond. 

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 4 of 15
doesorbiwork
Tutor

Cell app abruptly started working 1/2 hour after last reset. 

Went through setup

Everything works now.

Zero help from Netgear support.

Message 5 of 15
randomousity
Luminary

The model version is something you already told us: RBR20. The firmware version is something you need to log into the router to see: it'll say in the upper right corner of all screens on the web configuration for the Orbi.

It could be that your router and satellite(s) lost sync. When that happens, if you're connected directly to the router, everything will work just fine. But, when you're connected to a satellite, whether by wifi or ethernet, since the satellite and router aren't synced, nothing will load for you, and you won't be able to even log into the Orbi's web config page, either. It sounds like this could be your issue. To test, you could try switching back to the Orbi router, but unplug the power from any and all Orbi satellites so that you ensure any devices you use are only connected to the router. Then, test if pages load properly. If they do, then plug in a satellite and let it sync to the router. If that doesn't work automatically, you may have to manually force them to sync, either with the hardware buttons, or through the web interface.

But my best guess is that your devices were connected to a satellite that wasn't synced with the router, which will always cause all web pages to fail to load properly. And it sounds as though your issue is resolved now anyway.

Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Well I hope some one from the NG forums has helped. Smiley Frustrated

Message 7 of 15
Newestskeens03
Initiate

I have the AC2200 system with the RBR20 router base and the RBK30 satellite running V2.3.1.44 firmware.  I purchased this bundle from Best Buy Aug of '18.  I have absolutely loved this system....up until last week that is.  All of a sudden our internet abrubtly stopped working with absolutely no warning or apparent reason.  I was not able to diagnose the problem from the app because I kept receiving an error message saying I was not connected to the "Orbi network".  After many hours of incredibly frustrating troubleshooting (trying to find something on the Orbi/NG support website which is a complete joke.  I'm not paying a monthly or annual fee for support) to the point I was about ready to throw the whole thing in the trash and switching to my second option of the Linksys Velop mesh system I finally determined that I just needed to factory reset it and set it up as a new again.  Well that worked....for 4 days at which point I came home yesterday to discover the same exact scenario had happened again!  ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME!!!!!  So once again I did a factory reset and started the whole process over again.  I am a project manager at a custom software development company and I had our senior SysOps guy look at it and he didn't have any clue as to the cause either.  He did tell me that anything NG outside of their NightHawk series is nothing more than a glorified paper weight.  I'll give it another chance and if it happens again then I'll go all "Office Space" on the Orbi with a baseball bat and switch to Linksys who offers far superior support and it's free!  What a novel idea when spending $250 for a home mesh system.  NG - the clock is ticking!

Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I would download the v44 file for the RBR, manually re-load, factory reset and then setup from scratch. Once setup, do a backup of the router config to file. Once this is done, either do a reboot or pull the power cable from the RBR for 30 seconds then back in. Does the configuration persist thru the power cycle or reboot? 

@Newestskeens03 wrote:

I have the AC2200 system with the RBR20 router base and the RBK30 satellite running V2.3.1.44 firmware.  I purchased this bundle from Best Buy Aug of '18.  I have absolutely loved this system....up until last week that is.  All of a sudden our internet abrubtly stopped working with absolutely no warning or apparent reason.  I was not able to diagnose the problem from the app because I kept receiving an error message saying I was not connected to the "Orbi network".  After many hours of incredibly frustrating troubleshooting (trying to find something on the Orbi/NG support website which is a complete joke.  I'm not paying a monthly or annual fee for support) to the point I was about ready to throw the whole thing in the trash and switching to my second option of the Linksys Velop mesh system I finally determined that I just needed to factory reset it and set it up as a new again.  Well that worked....for 4 days at which point I came home yesterday to discover the same exact scenario had happened again!  ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME!!!!!  So once again I did a factory reset and started the whole process over again.  I am a project manager at a custom software development company and I had our senior SysOps guy look at it and he didn't have any clue as to the cause either.  He did tell me that anything NG outside of their NightHawk series is nothing more than a glorified paper weight.  I'll give it another chance and if it happens again then I'll go all "Office Space" on the Orbi with a baseball bat and switch to Linksys who offers far superior support and it's free!  What a novel idea when spending $250 for a home mesh system.  NG - the clock is ticking!

Message 9 of 15
doesorbiwork
Tutor

It seems to be running and stable. 

Since the phone app doesn't work when the Orbi doesn't work and online support is useless I suppose that you are just on your own. 

It's really annoying that factory reset failed to work several times then suddenly worked. One more failure form this setup and I'll try to get my money back.

Thanks guys.

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Where were you doing the reset from? The web page or back button? I always use the web page to do the reset. 

Sometimes help from others in a forum can be more beneficial than phone support. 

Good Luck. 

Message 11 of 15
Testyblahblah
Aspirant

I would recommend a refund. I can do this, but given that it is 8 monnths after it will be more complicated. But I am determinedly angry and NG are of zero assistance:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Local-IP-connectivity-to-router-apparently-dead-while-WiFi-sti...

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Please make contact with NG forum Moderator please. 

@Blanca_O 

Not everyone is having problems. 

Message 13 of 15
LoboTommy
Luminary

Re: RBR20 quit working today POST 1/2

I had some issues with RBR20, but i seems I finnaly found a solution:

So, after bugging the guys in the RBR50 thread, i was solwly piecing together the solution for the RBR20’ies.

I will here make a mix of our combined suggestions, in the order it took place, to fix it.

Big THANX AND KUDOS to @FURRYe38  and @DorkiOrbiFW  as they were very helpfull here. Meny of the setups comes from them, and a lot of this text. I have just edited this to a "guide", and freshened it up a little.

As i have three satlites and one router, this fix took about three hours all together from start until everything was ok.

Note – I chose to force all firmware back to the v44 file. You can find that here:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBR20/RBR20-V2.3.1.44.zip

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBS20/RBS20-V2.3.1.44.zip

If you prefere the new v48, router will automatically help you get that, or you can download the files here:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBR20/RBR20-V2.3.1.48.zip

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBS20/RBS20-V2.3.1.48.zip

**Note: Firmware do no longer auto-update since v44 cam along. Instead there is a diplaymessage telling you a new firmware are available, when you click that you are brought directly to the firmaware update section of the RBR. Update only takes place when you hit «Update Now» button, rendering update to be your choise, allthough runs automatic.**

So, my main issue was that the router and the satelites stopped communicating. They went in to a war, and looking on the LED-rings it was constant change of colors. Amber, magenta, blue and flashing white. WiFi kept dropping out, and things was a mess. So heres what must be done.

To start the process, you must factory reset everything. Find a sharp thin object to put in to the small hole next to the powerbuttun, hold it in for about 10 seconds until the little powerlight flashes. Turn off the satelite/router while holding it in. Turn It back on, still holding it in, and wait until it flashes again.

Now turn it off. Repeat this process until all your units are factory-reset and turned off.

Now, work only on your ROUTER – the RBR20.

Turn it on. Follow instructions for first time setup. DO NOT connect any satelites. Once it is up and running, log in to your router via desktop, advanced settings, administer, firmware. (There you can push the update manually to your satelites as well. We'll get back to that.) 

1. Login into your Orbi router
  2. Navigate to the “Advanced” tab
  3. Go to “Advanced Settings”
  4. Go to Wireless Settings; under the “Backhaul Topology “ section of those settings, hit the “Generate” button. Sometimes the Orbi satellites will forget the backhaul password if the router (or vice versa) is off for a long period of time. This can also happen during a power blackout, as it did for me.

If your router is at v48, and some of your satelites are v44, now is the time to roll back the router to v44. It is possible, if the satellites were behind on FW, then his maybe the reason they were not conneting. RBS have to be updated first before the RBR and be on the same version of FW or RBS can be on a more current version, while the RBR can be on a older version of FW. RBS can't be behind in FW versions from the RBR.

The page will be under Advanced tab using the management console via web under Administration --> Firmware Update

When you have the correct FW on the RBR I would disable Diasy chain on the RBR. You do that under Advanced tab using the management console via web under Advanced Setup  --> Wirless settings. Changing this option causes your RBR to reboot. Wait paitonally.

Return to same settingspage, then on the bottom of the wirless settings, enable BEAMFORMING and enable MU-MIMO.

Now you are ready to go for the RBS… (continiues on POST 2/2)

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 14 of 15
LoboTommy
Luminary

Re: RBR20 quit working today POST 2/2

Now you are ready to go for the RBS…

I set it up so i had all RBS infront of me during this progress.

So after getting the RBR «updated» to v44, Turn on ONE of the RBS.

In the GUI rom your computer, clik under Basic, Add Orbi Satelite. Follow instructions.

When you see the top led pulsating WHITE on the RBS, Press the sync button on the RBS, while in the same room as the RBR.

Give up to 5 minutes and you should see the top led on the RBS turn BLUE...

Typically, it flashes white, then turns magenta, I then hit sync (again) if "setup failed" message appears, and try again. With or without factory reset. Suddenly i turns blue, stays for a little while, turns back to magenta, stays like that for a few minutes, before turning blue again.

Wait until Solid Blue turns off, and the RBS goes dark.

When you get a RBS connected fully, do a address reservation for it on the RBR under Advanced tab à Setup à LAN Setup, save and apply.

You shoud now check the FW of this RBS.

The page will be under Advanced tab using the management console via web under Administration --> Firmware Update

Roll it out to the FW you want in the end result, either v44 or v48. Once updated to selected FW (wait for it to reboot and sync completely), turn the RBS off and repeat the process with your next RBS.

When you have repeated this with ALL your RBS, you can turn all the RBS on.

The system should come back for you. I would try one satellite at a time (alllthough i turned all one at the same time).

Do this untill each one is re-sync'd. Once there all done, you are set.

This is where you update with your prefered SSID and password under Basic tab --> wireless. It could also be usefull to use a WIFI scanner tool to check interference on the different channels in your neighbourhood, and select a free channel. These settings will cause your system to reboot, and you have to wait pationally again.

Finnaly, turn them off again and then go and place them in there remote locations, and turn them on yet again.

Note: during the process when trying to connect a RBS, it "connected" but in status it said "config sys", ring turns magenta. This means it talks with the RBR, and are not fully set up. Just wait and observe. Typically, it flashes white, then turns magenta, I then hit sync (again) after "setup failed" message appears, and try again. With or without factory reset. Suddenly i turns blue, stays for a little while, turns back to magenta, stays like that for a few minutes, before turning blue again.

This is the complete process for rebulding the ORBI mesh when things got jammed up on the RBR20 system.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7