Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR20 security issue

Kitzo_no
Aspirant

RBR20 security issue

I had a worrying experience with my RBR20 with 2 RBS20 satelites. I had them configured and working fine, firmware version v2.5.1.16. Then I started up another RBR20 to check someting, this one was configured differently, SSID and password. I logged in to this second RBR20, and noticed that it had 2 RBS connected, and surely, checking with my other network, this one had lost conenction to the satelites. So basically the second RBR20 stole both RBS20.

What kind of security is this? This makes me wonder how safe my network is...how easily kan someone get connected, and get access to devices that are cabled to the satelites. It also get me wodering if someone can start up a satelite nearby, and this connects to my network? If so then they would get acces to all devices by connecting a computer with network cable to this satelite.

Anyone else experiencing this? What are your thoughts on this?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR20 security issue

You logged in with a web browser, correct? (not the Orbi "app")

Message 2 of 4
Kitzo_no
Aspirant

Yes, browser

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

I cannot come up with anything that would explain this.  If the RBR20 is "new", Netgear provides 90 days of "complimentary support", and might be able to comment.

Like you, I assume that once a satellite has been "sync'd" to a router, the connection is fixed.  There is a unique (and very long) security key that encrypts the backhaul link between router and satellite.  The WiFi SSID/password should have no effect on which satellites connect to which router.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7