Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR20 wifi doesn't have a valid IP configuration

blacknatty
Aspirant

RBR20 wifi doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Running Windows 10, Motorola surfboard sb6121 modem. RBR20 Orbi with 2 satellites.

All was fine this morning until I suddenly lost internet. Got the message "Wi fi doesn't have a valid IP configuration". Tried unplugging everything and replugging a couple of times with no luck. Called ISP. Worked through some troubleshooting, finally got internet back only by bypassing Orbi completely and plugging modem directly into the tower. So now I have no wi fi, but I do have internet.

I worked through some of the suggestions on this page: https://vkrepair.com/wifi-doesnt-have-a-valid-ip-configuration/

that was suggested on another older post, those did not repair the issue. (Disabled/re-enabled the network, confirmed driver was updated. Added a specific default gateway. Viewed events.) I wasn't sure about some of the other suggestions, they made me a bit nervous so I didn't try them.

Any other ideas? Thanks. 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 34

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@blacknatty wrote:

I note also that the blinking reset light is red, not orange as it was in the video, and it has not stopped flashing after several minutes. If that makes a difference. 

Well, blinking red is BAD, BAD, BAD.  Here's what Netgear says about the power button LED's:

Router and satellite power button LEDs

Solid green. Your Orbi router and satellite are powered on.
Solid amber. Your Orbi router and satellite are rebooting.
Pulsing amber. You must reset your Orbi router and satellite to factory default settings.
Pulsing red. Your Orbi system might need attention. Contact support.

If you are Pulsing red, then the unit is not working correctly.  The hardware warranty is 1 year.

View solution in original post

Message 29 of 34

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try a factory reset and setup from scratch. Walk thru the setup wizard and complete it. 

Do you see the SSID name on your wireless devices? 

Connect to it and then check the networking settings on the wireless device to see if it got an IP address after it connected to the SSID name. 

Message 2 of 34
blacknatty
Aspirant

Is it such a great idea to do a factory reset after all the work we went through to get it so that Skype and FaceTime would work on my system? Orbi tech support had to manually set up specific ports, as I recall. Wouldn't a factory reset wipe all that? 

Message 3 of 34
CrimpOn
Guru

What happens when the Wiindows tower is plugged directly into one of the LAN ports on the Orbi?  (In that case, there is no "WiFi" involved.)  If the error message appeared on the Windows machine, do other devices connect over WiFi (phones, tablets, etc.)?

Message 4 of 34
blacknatty
Aspirant

I don't think I understand what you mean. If I unplug from the modem LAN to the tower, and instead plug in Orbi LAN to tower, I lose internet again. Is that what you meant?

Message 5 of 34
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry I was not clear.  The problem stated was "WiFi doesn't have a valid IP configuration", which implies that the Windows machine is connecting over WiFi.  (If it was connecting with an ethernet cable, it would not be using WiFi.)  The web link referenced was about how to cure problems reported by Windows.  Then, the problem was cured by connecting the computer directly to the modem.  i.e. unplugging the Orbi from the modem and plugging in the computer.  So, the computer must have an ethernet jack in order to be connected to the modem.

I was suggesting to keep WiFi out of the picture by reconnecting the Orbi to the modem with a cable and then connecting the computer to one of the Orbi LAN ports with a cable.  i.e. "no WiFi." 

I also asked if the Windows computer is the only device reporting a problem.  Do other devices, such as cell phones or tablets appear to be working when the Orbi is plugged in.  If you bought an Orbi, you must have things that need WiFi.  Do they also report errors?

Message 6 of 34
blacknatty
Aspirant

Thanks for clarifying, obviously I'm not a really advanced user. 

My Orbi has only 2 LAN ports - the one marked "Internet" I plug in to the modem. The one marked "Ethernet" I plug in to the Ooma (our internet phone provider). I have no other ports to plug it in to the tower. 

So at this time we have no phone service either, except cell phones. 

Yes, the other devices that usually work off the wifi now show no internet as well.

Message 7 of 34
CrimpOn
Guru

I see (another "my bad, oh dear).  I would still give this a try:

plug the Orbi back into the modem.

unplug the phone and plug the computer into the Orbi.  (the phone wasn't working anyway)

Now, what works and what doesn't work, besides the phone that we unplugged?

Message 8 of 34
CrimpOn
Guru

If the computer and everything except the phone now work, the next step is to unplug the computer and plug the phone back in.  If the phone also works, then the problem is definitely with the computer and not the Orbi.

If you plug the Orbi into the modem and nothing works.  Not internet phone, not mobile phones, not tablets, .... zero.  THEN, we have a definite "Orbi problem."

Message 9 of 34
blacknatty
Aspirant

I have the phone/Ooma plugged into the Orbi, but it's not working because Orbi is not plugged in to the modem.

plugging the Orbi back in to the modem and to the Ooma...nothing works.

Currently, the modem is back plugged into the computer. Ooma is still plugged in to Orbi, but neither is plugged in to modem or computer. I'm out of ports.  

Message 10 of 34
blacknatty
Aspirant

OK, I tried this one also - unplugging ooma and plugging computer into Orbi. Lost internet again. 

Message 11 of 34
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, that pretty much settles that.  When the Orbi is plugged into the modem, nothing works.  I'm assuming that you have tried restarting the Orbi?  (i.e. pull the power cord, count to 30, then plug it back in)

The only thing left is to do a "factory refresh" and configure it from scratch. And, yes, that will remove any port forwarding setting that have been done.  So, before pressing a paperclip in the reset hole, it is a good idea to connect the computer to the Orbi, go to the web interface, and copy down all of those settings.  You definitely want to make certain to reconfigure the Orbi with exactly the same WiFi name and password, so that all of your devices can reconnect.  I personally would leave the internet phone disconnected and use that ethernet jack for the computer to set up the Orbi.

Message 12 of 34
blacknatty
Aspirant

Not sure how to do that. I have no other places to plug the Orbi into the tower while I have the modem plugged in, and it won't connect to the internet without the modem plugged in. 

Message 13 of 34
blacknatty
Aspirant

Although I see from my previous issue that I saved and posted an image of what my ports were changed to, so I grabbed that and saved it to my computer again. 

Message 14 of 34
blacknatty
Aspirant

This is what I saved. Is this enough for me to set it up again? 

Message 15 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes...

Message 16 of 34
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, it looks like you saved the correct information.  So...

1. Unplug the ooma and set it aside.

2. Plug the yellow Orbi port into the modem.

3. Plug the computer into the remaining Orbi LAN port.

4. Power on the Orbi and insert a paperclip into the reset hole and hold it until the light blinks steadily (about 8-10 seconds).

5. Open a web browser on the tower and connect to 192.168.1.1

6. Log on with the default user name "admin", and password "password"

7. Set up the Orbi with the same WiFi name and password as it had before.

8. At this point, try to connect some WiFi device to the Orbi.  On the web interface, the "Attached Devices" page should show which of your devices have connected automatically.

9. Now is the time to add the satellites, one at a time.

10. If everything else is working now, unplug the computer and plug in the ooma phone.

11. Restart the computer and see if it connects over WiFi.

I am puzzled that ports had to be opened to get Facetime and Skype to work.  I have no ports opened, and we do Facetime a lot (Skype a couple of times).

Message 17 of 34
blacknatty
Aspirant

Thanks for spelling that out for me, CrimpOn. I was just getting everything ready and looking it up in the manual (it wasn't there).  Paperclip...check. Satellites retrieved from awkward locations and ready to re-sync...check. Day wasted...check. Let the terror begin.

Message 18 of 34
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@blacknatty wrote:

OK, I tried this one also - unplugging ooma and plugging computer into Orbi. Lost internet again. 

This is expected to not work.  The SB modem will not allow you to do this, hot swap client between Orbi and computer.  Everytime you switch/change the target client that attached to SB modem, you have to reboot SB modem.  In another word, it's best to turn off both devices and turn them back on.

Message 19 of 34
blacknatty
Aspirant

OK test begun aaaaaaand ..... nothing. Pressing the reset button gave me no light over the power button. I YouTubed it to see how it was supposed to look beforehand - I get no light of any color. I held it down for awhile just in case and tried it, but no internet. 192.168.1.1 would not connect. Could it be that my base is wasted within a year of purchase? Recently both satellites have been intermittently turning orange and purple, but then going back to working fine. Do you think the base was failing and has now just given up the ghost? 

Message 20 of 34
CrimpOn
Guru

@blacknatty wrote:

OK test begun aaaaaaand ..... nothing. Pressing the reset button gave me no light over the power button. I get no light of any color.

No light of any color is not one of the possible choices. https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/RBR20.aspx

So, it either has to be (1) the electrical outlet (no power), (2) the power supply, or (3) the Orbi.  So, plug something into that electrical outlet (light bulb?) or move the Orbi to a different socket where something is working.  (I had a plug strip once that did not have an indicator light on it and turned it off by mistake one time.)  Maybe the power supply isn't plugged in all the way?  If my memory is correct, the power supply is supposed to be 12v DC (have a multimeter handy?)

I guess it is "possible" that the LED itself could be broken, but that's the last component I would think could fail.

Message 21 of 34
blacknatty
Aspirant

The Orbi is plugged into the same surge protector that the computer is plugged into, so I'm sure the power supply is fine. Everything else on that power strip is still working. 

Sorry, but I get no light on the back of the orbi when I push the reset button. I also see no light on the top orbi ring at any time - when I press the sync button or power it on or off. Is there a way to get it to light up? The satellites light up. That's what's leading me to believe maybe the base unit has gone bad on me. 

Message 22 of 34
CrimpOn
Guru

@blacknatty wrote:

Sorry, but I get no light on the back of the orbi when I push the reset button. I also see no light on the top orbi ring at any time - when I press the sync button or power it on or off. Is there a way to get it to light up? The satellites light up. That's what's leading me to believe maybe the base unit has gone bad on me. 

No light above the power switch EVER?  Yes, when the Orbi powers on, the ring at the top is supposed to be solid white while it is powering up.  (The power button doesn't move very much.  One time I thought it was pushed "in" when it was actually "out")

I'd swap the power supply with one of the satellites that does show a green LED.  If the power supplies are swapped and the satellite has no LED and the router suddenly does have light, that means the power supply is bad.

Message 23 of 34
blacknatty
Aspirant

Yes, I've pushed the power button on and off a couple of times to confirm it's in the on position on the back of the base unit. No lights ever above the power button or on the top ring today during all this on and off stuff, plugging and powering shenanagins. 

I don't get this: I'd swap the power supply with one of the satellites that does show a green LED.

Swap my base unit with a satellite? The satellites don't have anywhere to plug anything into them. They can't be the router.  Also, the satellites don't show a green LED. They now just have a purple ring on the top showing no internet. Both of them at least still show that....so their power is working. Or am I misunderstanding? Swap the satellite with something else? Thanks for your patience and assistance.

Message 24 of 34
CrimpOn
Guru

On the back of the RBR20, to the right of the power button, under where it says "DC", that's where the power supply plugs into the router. It is not permanently attached.  If there is nothing plugged in there, then there is no power supply.

Message 25 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7