Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR20 wifi signal constantly turns on/off

masan
Tutor

RBR20 wifi signal constantly turns on/off

Hello guys,

I bought this RBR20 several months ago and it's been working frawlessly rock solid. But ever since I updated the firmware to the latest V2.3.5.30 yesterday, wifi started to drop constantly. Specifically, wifi signal turns off every minute or so, then turns back on about a minute later, rendering the wifi network totally useless. I mean, it's not RBR20's connection to the internet. Its wifi signal is turned off somehow, disconnecting all the devices connected to it, then the signal turns back on automatically after a while.

I checked the following:

• Internet connection has zero problem. I checked this with a device directly connected to Starhub's cable modem.
  • I rebooted the cable modem nevertheless by disconnecting/connecting the power cable for just in case.
  • I rebooted RBR20 by disconnecting/connecting the power cable several times.
  • I didn't change any settings before/after the firmware update. And as far as I can see on its admin screen, everything looks fine.

If there's anything else I can do to solve this issue, please let me know and I will greatly appreciate it.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: RBR20 wifi signal constantly turns on/off

Anytime you change firmware and are having an issue, a good first step is to factory reset and re-install.

Have you tried this?

If you have and it doesn't help, you can downgrade the firmware to the earlier version. Maybe there's a bug that's impacting your device. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
BuddySunshine
Initiate

Sorry I am no help to your issue, I am having the same problem.

After having the RBR20 and it working flawlessly for about 6 months I am having the exact same issue.  It has been ongoing for about a month.  At random times daily the wifi will disconnect however the app will show everything is connected.  Sometimes everything reconnects other times I have to reboot the RBR20 (from the app) and wait 15-20 minutes for everything to reconnect.

My favorite issue is when my phone is disconnected.  It says my wifi is working but I have no internet.  It is actually doing so right now as I am typing this on my computer.  Currently my computer is connected to the wifi and is not having any issues with the internet, however my phone is sitting right next to my computer connected to the wifi with no internet connection.  This will go on for about an hour or so then all devices connected to the Orbi system will start to randomly lose internet connection.  However, I can go hardwire into my modem and my internet connection will work flawlessly everytime.  So at that point I will have to reboot my RBR20 and it's satellites for the 4th to 5th time in 24 hours and wait the expected 15-20 minutes for everything to reconnect.

I have concluded that this must be some issue with firmware released in mid to late February.  That is when I started experiencing these issues and I have made no changes whatsoever to any of my network equipment before or during this time.

I am currently running firmware v2.3.5.30 on a RBR20 and two RBS20.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

Anytime you change firmware and are having an issue, a good first step is to factory reset and re-install.

Have you tried this?

If you have and it doesn't help, you can downgrade the firmware to the earlier version. Maybe there's a bug that's impacting your device. 

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? Not not, try this...
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

Message 4 of 8
masan
Tutor

Thanks guys for your quick replies!

According to your recommendations, it seems that the factory reset is the way to go.

I will give it a try this evening, after work.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us now how it goes. 

@masan wrote:

Thanks guys for your quick replies!

According to your recommendations, it seems that the factory reset is the way to go.

I will give it a try this evening, after work.

Message 6 of 8
masan
Tutor

After the factory reset, the router seems working fine so far. But I will think twice before running a firmware update in the future if I need to go through the factory reset and configure the router all over again...

I want to choose all of your kind replies as solutions but I can't on this board, so please allow me to pick  plemans' reply as the solution since he's the first one suggested the factory reset.

Thanks again for all of you for the kind suggestions.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working. Save off a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. This helps save time if a reset is needed in the future. 

Can use the suggestions at any time for your troubleshooting needs. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@masan wrote:

After the factory reset, the router seems working fine so far. But I will think twice before running a firmware update in the future if I need to go through the factory reset and configure the router all over again...

I want to choose all of your kind replies as solutions but I can't on this board, so please allow me to pick  plemans' reply as the solution since he's the first one suggested the factory reset.

Thanks again for all of you for the kind suggestions.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7