Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR20,working fine over a year on Comcast Voice Modem . Drops Internet after 2nd ATT modem inst

18rabbit
Aspirant

RBR20,working fine over a year on Comcast Voice Modem . Drops Internet after 2nd ATT modem install

My Orbi RBR20 router with 2 satelites has been working fine for over a Year. Recently in California my county was subject to forced county wide electric shut off. My Comcast modem and Orbi router were both on battery backups. both systems kept running but no Internet access due to Comcast signal failure.

Decided to connect a new Att UVERS modem with WIFI on a ATT land line that suposedly would remain work.  Ordered new ATT  UVERS modem to connect to my land line assuming I would have a backup WIFY system on the ATT UVERS with battery backup on the modem.

After install of ATT modem I tested new WIFI and it worked fine. The comcast WIFI was up and working with the ORBI 20 and satellites.

I have a video security system on the two statellites and it started to fail. After checking ORBI I found the internet connections had failed but the equipment was still connect to the ORBI WIFI, veryfied by checking the MACs of my cameras.  The ORBI device mgr did shoe my send and last satellite with a orange  status lite verses the normal green status lite.

I found that if I unplug the UVERS modem the Orbi system will start to work and indicate that I have Internet access.

I notice on the support page a link to a video showing how to disable the ATT UVERS WYFI signal on the modem. I am assuming someone has had a similar problem as I am have with the two active WIFI Comcast and ATT signals and resolved the problem by disabling the ATT WIFI signal and you then would connect the ethernet port for internet access.

By unplugging the ATT modem I effectivelly disabled the WIFI signal; this does resolves the problem of no internet access on my ORBI systems.  Question is this the only solution to operating the ATT UVERS modem and the ORBIsystem Compact WIFI extender simutaeously? I will use the ATT disable configuration if this is the only solution.

Thanks for any help on this.

18rabbit

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
18rabbit
Aspirant

Re: RBR20,working fine over a year on Comcast Voice Modem . Drops Internet after 2nd ATT modem inst

Tnx for the information.

I am not totally WIFI savy and your multiple solution attemps sound complicated due to the terminology.  I believe I am on the right track, then when you say shut of all WIFI signal (radios) from the ATT modem.  I do see a couple of new ATT WIFI addresses on ORBI APP when the ATT modem is live.

I will try the ATT WIFI disable proceedure as posted on netgear youtube video and see if that takes care of issue.   I'll read your response again to see if I can interpret the steps you recommended better.

TNX again

18Rabbit

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@18rabbit wrote:

My Orbi RBR20 router with 2 satelites has been working fine for over a Year. Recently in California my county was subject to forced county wide electric shut off. My Comcast modem and Orbi router were both on battery backups. both systems kept running but no Internet access due to Comcast signal failure.

Decided to connect a new Att UVERS modem with WIFI on a ATT land line that suposedly would remain work.  Ordered new ATT  UVERS modem to connect to my land line assuming I would have a backup WIFY system on the ATT UVERS with battery backup on the modem.

After install of ATT modem I tested new WIFI and it worked fine. The comcast WIFI was up and working with the ORBI 20 and satellites.

I have a video security system on the two statellites and it started to fail. After checking ORBI I found the internet connections had failed but the equipment was still connect to the ORBI WIFI, veryfied by checking the MACs of my cameras.  The ORBI device mgr did shoe my send and last satellite with a orange  status lite verses the normal green status lite.

I found that if I unplug the UVERS modem the Orbi system will start to work and indicate that I have Internet access.

I notice on the support page a link to a video showing how to disable the ATT UVERS WYFI signal on the modem. I am assuming someone has had a similar problem as I am have with the two active WIFI Comcast and ATT signals and resolved the problem by disabling the ATT WIFI signal and you then would connect the ethernet port for internet access.

By unplugging the ATT modem I effectivelly disabled the WIFI signal; this does resolves the problem of no internet access on my ORBI systems.  Question is this the only solution to operating the ATT UVERS modem and the ORBIsystem Compact WIFI extender simutaeously? I will use the ATT disable configuration if this is the only solution.

Thanks for any help on this.

18rabbit

Message 2 of 9
18rabbit
Aspirant

Tnx for the information.

I am not totally WIFI savy and your multiple solution attemps sound complicated due to the terminology.  I believe I am on the right track, then when you say shut of all WIFI signal (radios) from the ATT modem.  I do see a couple of new ATT WIFI addresses on ORBI APP when the ATT modem is live.

I will try the ATT WIFI disable proceedure as posted on netgear youtube video and see if that takes care of issue.   I'll read your response again to see if I can interpret the steps you recommended better.

TNX again

18Rabbit

Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@18rabbit wrote:

Can you please provide a diagram of how the Comcast, UVerse, Orbi, and devices are connected?  My impression is that you have two separate internet services (Comcast and AT&T).  We recently had a post from someone who had two internet services that fed into one router, which in turn fed the Orbi and the rest of his devices, but your setup does not appear to be similar to his.

Thanks

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Simplest is best. Yes, the wifi on the ISP Modem should be disabled mainly. You'll only need the Orbi wifi as you main wifi to connect all your signals too. 

@18rabbit wrote:

Tnx for the information.

TNX again

18Rabbit

Message 5 of 9
18rabbit
Aspirant

I will draw a diagram and send later

Message 6 of 9
18rabbit
Aspirant

CrimpOn

In lew of  a diagram I realize that simply my second WIFI modem and equipment is not physically connected to my RBR20 router.

My equipment is in two seperate buildings. 

Building 1: has the Comcast modem with the RBR20 connected to the modem via ethernet cable with satellite 1 via WIFI.

Building 2: is ORBI satellite 2 on Orbi WIFI.  shows orange dot on Netowrk Map.  I have the new ATT modem install on a Hardwire land line fromm ATT.  UVERS modem picks up a sideband channel from ATT with filters that is connected directly to the modem via a physical PHONE cable.

Note this is a stand alone modem that is NOT connected to any of the ORBI equipment.  It  will be used strictly for back with its own signal from ATT(hopefully) during power failures.  It will be used onging as a seperate WIFI signal along with the ORBI WIFI.

The problem is that the ATT WIFI signal is appearing on the ORBI net and is block access to the Internet.

Another member responded with what I believe may be one solution and that is to Kill the ATT WIFI by disabling the WIFI on the ATT modem.  I would then connect to the modem via cable ethernet for ongoing use until I needed to turn the WIFI back on during apower outage.

Thanks for your response..

Message 7 of 9
18rabbit
Aspirant

Furrye38guru

I looked at your 2 links on double Nat and Access Point.

Very interesting but not quite my configurations.  But will explore if my Kill ATT UVERS WIFI doesn't work.

Tnx Again

18Rabbit

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully the disabling of wifi is all thats needed. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

@18rabbit wrote:

Furrye38guru

I looked at your 2 links on double Nat and Access Point.

Very interesting but not quite my configurations.  But will explore if my Kill ATT UVERS WIFI doesn't work.

Tnx Again

18Rabbit

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7