Re: RBR40 - Bricked? Won't Factory Reset?

virtual008
Aspirant

RBR40 - Bricked? Won't Factory Reset?

So everything was fine and just thought I would reboot my system because I hadn't done it in a while.  Oops..That was a mistake.  My main route seems to be bricked.  I can't find the SIDD and the power light stays green no matter what I hold down for however long.  I tried all kinds of reset procedures and nothing.  I've done the 30-30-30...I've tried to Ping it with not success.  Nothing.  I'm very frustrated given how expensive these things are.  Any thoughts?  It's the RBR40 router.  TIA.

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Need to press the reset button for 30 seconds then release, then it send to PUT the command and upload the FW. 

If this fails then your RBR is bad and needs to be replaced. 

Good Luck. 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.1/RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 2 of 5
vajim
Master

@virtual008 wrote:

So everything was fine and just thought I would reboot my system because I hadn't done it in a while.  Oops..That was a mistake.  My main route seems to be bricked.  I can't find the SIDD and the power light stays green no matter what I hold down for however long.  I tried all kinds of reset procedures and nothing.  I've done the 30-30-30...I've tried to Ping it with not success.  Nothing.  I'm very frustrated given how expensive these things are.  Any thoughts?  It's the RBR40 router.  TIA.

were you trying to do a firmware update?

some think so

try this

Unplug the Orbi router from the wall, leaving the power supply plugged into the orbi for 3 minutes.
Holding the reset button, plug the Orbi in and turn on.
Once the power lights goes through red and back to green, release the reset button.
Hopefully you will have a solid green power light and can reconfigure the Orbi.

Message 3 of 5
virtual008
Aspirant

Tried all this.  Nothing.  This is insane.  "Let's send out a firmware udpate that bricks routers so they have to buy new ones."  I know they didn't do this on purpose but damn if this doesn't grind my gears.

Message 4 of 5
vajim
Master

@virtual008 wrote:

Tried all this.  Nothing.  This is insane.  "Let's send out a firmware udpate that bricks routers so they have to buy new ones."  I know they didn't do this on purpose but damn if this doesn't grind my gears.

ouch....one more reason I shy away from firmware updates unless I'm up for a day of playing router roulette or have money in the bank to buy a new one

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements