Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

RBR40 Drops Internet in new home

SOLVED
Grinky
Aspirant

I have an Orbi RBR40 (Firmware V2.3.1.44) with 2 satellites that was working without ever dropping internet in a 2 story 4000 sq ft house.   Satellites were 30 to 60 feet from the router.  

I recently moved over to a new one story 4400 sq ft home and set up the system using the same cable modem (Arris SB5160) and didn’t change any configuration, literally plugged it in.  The router has been intermittently dropping the internet connection several times a day (at least).  The cable modem displays an internet connection when this occurs.  

‘’I have tried moving the satellites farther apart, differing locations and just now turned them off (we’ll see if that makes a difference) with no noticeable improvement.  

I ‘I typically have several phones, tablets, computer, Apple TVs, sound bar and visitors, but same as before the move.   

Any ideas as to the source of my problem, or better what is the likely solution?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: RBR40 Drops Internet in new home

agree with @michaelkenward 

Another thing to check is your modem connections page and the log.  If you're not sure what they mean, post a screen snip of them and we can help out. The light might show internet but your signal/connections to be weak enough its causing dropouts. Especially when you've moved to a new place. 

I'd start the troubleshooting at the modem and work forward from there. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

@Grinky wrote:

I recently moved over to a new one story 4400 sq ft home and set up the system using the same cable modem (Arris SB5160) and didn’t change any configuration, literally plugged it in.  

That could be the problem.

Moving to a new Internet connection, even from the same ISP, may mean that the settings need tweaking.

It is usually a good idea not to "just plug it in" but to build the network from scratch, starting with the modem.

You can always recreate the old wifi SSIDs and passwords.

PS I can't find an Arris SB5160 in Google. 5100?

Message 2 of 16
plemans
Guru

agree with @michaelkenward 

Another thing to check is your modem connections page and the log.  If you're not sure what they mean, post a screen snip of them and we can help out. The light might show internet but your signal/connections to be weak enough its causing dropouts. Especially when you've moved to a new place. 

I'd start the troubleshooting at the modem and work forward from there. 

Message 3 of 16
ekhalil
Master

@Grinky wrote:

.........  The router has been intermittently dropping the internet connection several times a day (at least).  .........  

When this happens will your devices keep the wifi connection but without internet access? Or will wifi also drop?

Do you see any Magenta ring LED on the router when this happens?

Message 4 of 16
Grinky
Aspirant

Michael, thanks.  Sound advice, I’ll start over from scratch as a first step.   Thought I would see if I could get by being lazy!   I’ll update on success once I get back in town.   FYI, detaching satellites did not improve the situation.  

Message 5 of 16
Grinky
Aspirant

Ekhalil, devices keep WiFi connection, satellites are connected, only internet drops.   I have seen magenta on several occasions, but haven’t been scientific in my observations to date.  Disconnecting the satellites did not improve the situation.  

Message 6 of 16
Grinky
Aspirant

Plemans, I’ll start from scratch when I return home, thanks for kind offer to review log file.  I may take you up on that, if rebuild isn’t successful.  Thanks to all for the advice!

Message 7 of 16
ekhalil
Master

@Grinky wrote:

Ekhalil, devices keep WiFi connection, satellites are connected, only internet drops.   I have seen magenta on several occasions, but haven’t been scientific in my observations to date.  Disconnecting the satellites did not improve the situation.  

I think this is related to the ISP lease time issue that many of us had. I would suggest to try the following and see if you get improvements:

• From browser go to the router's debug page (http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm). Use your router's IP address or http://orbilogin.com/debug.htm
  • Enter admin as user name and your router’s management password
  • Tick "Enable Telnet" option
  • Use Telnet from a computer attached to Orbi to connect to your Router telnet 192.168.1.1 and enter admin and the same password as above
  • Enter the following commands:
    • root@RBR50:/# config get wan_lease    — Should give you --> 86400
    • root@RBR50:/# config set wan_lease=720
    • root@RBR50:/# config commit
Message 8 of 16
Ghost71
Guide

Can you tell me how to connect to the RBR50 using Telnet?
Message 9 of 16
ekhalil
Master

Please follow the steps in my earlier post.

Use the command prompt (or terminal) in your computer and telnet to Orbi using the command:

> telnet 192.168.1.1    (or use the IP address of your Orbi Router)

Message 10 of 16
Ghost71
Guide

I apologize for my lack of knowledge and appreciate your response. The error I get when trying to open a connection is: "Could not open connection to the hose, on port 23: Connect failed I do this with "o 192.168.1.1" and with my actual IP address.
Message 11 of 16
Ghost71
Guide

Never mind I did it. I entered the commands you posted above, and 86400 was the number. I set to 720 and did config commit. Now what? Wait and see if the disconnects continue?
Message 12 of 16
ekhalil
Master

@Ghost71 wrote:
Never mind I did it. I entered the commands you posted above, and 86400 was the number. I set to 720 and did config commit. Now what? Wait and see if the disconnects continue?

Great. Yes, please, monitor the system now and see if you see any improvements.

Good luck.

Message 13 of 16
Ghost71
Guide

Will do, thank you.
Message 14 of 16
Ghost71
Guide

In the last two days we have had multiple disconnects.  The suggested solution has not fixed the issue.  Internet still drops, but comes back on 5 to 10 min later.  Release/Renew manually also re-establishes connection. 

Someone from NetGear has reached out to me to work a solution.  If we are able to find a solution I will share what worked.  I hope we do.

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What is the building materials made up of? 

Has a factoyr reset and setup from scratch been performed since you moved? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
A

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings
Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Grinky wrote:

I have an Orbi RBR40 (Firmware V2.3.1.44) with 2 satellites that was working without ever dropping internet in a 2 story 4000 sq ft house.   Satellites were 30 to 60 feet from the router.  

I recently moved over to a new one story 4400 sq ft home and set up the system using the same cable modem (Arris SB5160) and didn’t change any configuration, literally plugged it in.  The router has been intermittently dropping the internet connection several times a day (at least).  The cable modem displays an internet connection when this occurs.  

‘’I have tried moving the satellites farther apart, differing locations and just now turned them off (we’ll see if that makes a difference) with no noticeable improvement.  

I ‘I typically have several phones, tablets, computer, Apple TVs, sound bar and visitors, but same as before the move.   

Any ideas as to the source of my problem, or better what is the likely solution?

Message 16 of 16