Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR40 Firmware Update Problems

Blank_Ken
Follower

RBR40 Firmware Update Problems

I am currently on Firmware Version 2.7.3.22 and my App says a firmware update is available.  However, when I check for new Firmware, I continually get an error message saying "there was a problem checking the firmware".

Can someone tell me what to do so I can finish the update?

Many thanks.  

Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR40 Firmware Update Problems

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

I would highly recommend not using Orbi app to update your system. You can manually updated yourself using a wired PC and web browser: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBR-RBS-20-30-and-40-series-Firmware-Version-2-7-4-24/td-p...

Message 2 of 13
AntunezA1
Aspirant

The update takes up to five minutes. Do not disconnect or interrupt the network connection until the firmware update process is complete. After your firmware update is complete,your Orbi Pro displays as Connected. Your Orbi Pro is now using the latest firmware version.

Message 3 of 13
JamesT608
Aspirant

Is your Orbi in Bridge/Router mode? Mine is and the app tells me it  can't connect and shows the wrong firmware info. When i log into the router, it shows me my firmware is up-to-date

Message 4 of 13
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello JamesT608,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!!!!

The current firmware for your RBR40 is 2.7.4.24. The best way to ensure you have the current firmware is to navigate to the NETGEAR support site for your Orbi mesh system. If your Orbi system is not updated then you can download the firmware version and manually install it. Please navigate to the links below for more information.

Download site for RBR40 current firmware:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbr40.aspx/West#download

For more information on manually updating your RBK40 system please navigate to the link below:
https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

Best,
Kevin
Community Team

Message 5 of 13
JamesT608
Aspirant

Yes, my firmware is updated, It shows 2.7.4.24 when i look at it from a laptop. When I look at it in the Orbi app, it does not show that version, the app also says it can't connect to my Orbi because it is in bridge mode, which is required as my Orbi router is connected to my ISP's router. 

Message 6 of 13
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello JamesT608,

Thank you for your post!

For your network application, the most suitable network configuration will be to put the ISP router in modem mode and then set your RBR40 to router mode.

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 7 of 13
JamesT608
Aspirant

Sure, no problem. Ummmm, how do i do that? 

Message 8 of 13
JamesT608
Aspirant

just looked my rbr40 is in router mode, which means i can't 'connect' to it in the Orbi app

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 10 of 13
JamesT608
Aspirant

that resolved it. Is that the workaround, or perm way to access this? Is there an update coming that doesn't require these actions? I feel like this has been broken for several months. 

Message 11 of 13
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello JamesT608,

The actions listed above are required because of the security features of your iPhone. 

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 12 of 13
JamesT608
Aspirant

recent app update fixed my issues 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies