Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR40 Main Router not broadcasting 5Ghz Network

tensor4u
Follower

RBR40 Main Router not broadcasting 5Ghz Network

Hi, My main RBR40 Router is not broadcasting 5Ghz Network at all. I have checked with Wi-FI Analyzer app and Router is not broadbasting 5 Ghz Network at all while Satelitte is broadcasting the network.

Details generally asked:

FW Version: V2.6.1.36

Connected to Nokia G2425G-A Gpon ONT through Lan Cable

Nokia Router in Bridge Mode

Have done Factory reset and restarted, does not help.

Size of the home: 2500 Sq Feet. Distance of Sateliite from Orbi: 25 Feet

What channels are you using? : Auto

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?: Yes, 2 (5 Ghz), 5 (2.4 Ghz)

Settings Enabled:

Beamforicing, MIMO, WMM, Short Premable

Settings Disabled:

Daisy Chain, Armour, Circle, 20/40 Ghz Co-existence, 

Can somebody please suggest how can I enable 5 Ghz on Main router again, it is a big pain otherwise.

Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR40 Main Router not broadcasting 5Ghz Network

@tensor4u wrote:

Hi, My main RBR40 Router is not broadcasting 5Ghz Network at all. I have checked with Wi-FI Analyzer app and Router is not broadbasting 5 Ghz Network at all while Satelitte is broadcasting the network.

Can you please identify which Wi-Fi Analyzer app this is? (There are many apps with the same name)

On these original Orbi's, there is no user setting to enable/disable the 5G radio.  It is supposed to be on always.  (There is a setting to to enable/disable broadcasting the SSID, but that applies to the router and all sattelites.

Message 2 of 9
Kenchoroni
Aspirant

I have a similar setup and issue but my RBR50 is on V2.7.2.104.

A satellite 35 feet away on another floor is on 5G at 200 Mbps.  When I turn off the satellite the main router cranks out <80 Mbps from two feet away.

This is definitely a router not doing its 5G job.  How can I turn on the router's 5G antenna?

I used to love my Orbi.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

What devices are you using to speed test with? 

Check the connection rate between the wifi device and RBR with wifisweet spots app on the device.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

@Kenchoroni wrote:

I have a similar setup and issue but my RBR50 is on V2.7.2.104.

A satellite 35 feet away on another floor is on 5G at 200 Mbps.  When I turn off the satellite the main router cranks out <80 Mbps from two feet away.

This is definitely a router not doing its 5G job.  How can I turn on the router's 5G antenna?

I used to love my Orbi.

Message 4 of 9
Kenchoroni
Aspirant

Update: using a network analyzer (WiFi Explorer) I see 5G dribbling out of the router at 15% from one foot away.  The neighbor's 5G signal is at 50% from a freestanding home.

I cannot connect to the weak Orbi router 5G - always get 2.4G because it is at 100% strength.  Perhaps my router is broken - at Orbi's price point this would suck.  At least the satellite works properly.

Can someone please come up with an explanation or solution to this problem?

Message 5 of 9
Kenchoroni
Aspirant

Thank you for the prompt response!

I do not have time for a factory reset today but will do it soon and post back with the results and other information.

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible the RBR is faulty. Keep us posted.

Good Luck. 

@Kenchoroni wrote:

Update: using a network analyzer (WiFi Explorer) I see 5G dribbling out of the router at 15% from one foot away.  The neighbor's 5G signal is at 50% from a freestanding home.

I cannot connect to the weak Orbi router 5G - always get 2.4G because it is at 100% strength.  Perhaps my router is broken - at Orbi's price point this would suck.  At least the satellite works properly.

Can someone please come up with an explanation or solution to this problem?

Message 7 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@Kenchoroni wrote:

This is where the Orbi one year warranty is significant.  If the WiFi setting (In the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless Settings) is at 100% and the signal level is that low, the product is faulty.  Maybe a solder joint has failed or some other component has failed.  It is not clear from the original post how long you have had this Orbi.  As with any warranty, after the warranty expires, the manufacturer says, "sorry."

p.s. It is possible to purchase an extended warranty within 90 days after purchasing an Orbi.  Even if I had known about it, I would not have done so.  If it was essential to my business, probably, but for home I seldom purchase extended warranties.

Message 8 of 9
Kenchoroni
Aspirant

The RBR50 router is definitely faulty.  I did a factory reset and am getting zero 5G from the router (with the satellite off).  Interestingly, the factory reset improved the satellite's 5G somewhat(!?)

Kludge is I'm going to turn on my provider's 5G antenna to cover the router's square footage, while the Orbi satellite's 5G covers the rest of the house.

Thanks for the suggestions.  Sometimes the only win is finding out something's broken.

I used to love my Orbi.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7