Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Betreff: RBR40 Mini Router - Ethernet Backhaul confusion

cjaubert
Aspirant

RBR40 Mini Router - Ethernet Backhaul confusion

I have a brain cramp. I've read through these forums for awhile, and can't seem to find the precise question I have. So, here goes:

Background: I have an RBR40 router, two RBS40 satellites, and one RBW30 satellite. All the latest firmware is there. (See attached screenshot.) The RBR40 is my only router, and is connected to the Internet by an Ethernet cable to its WAN port. Then, one of the RBR40's Ethernet LAN ports goes to a Netgear wired switch that then feeds several in-the-wall Ethernet ports throughout the house. The three satellites are then connected to the network simply by WiFi - there is no hard-wired connection for either of the three satellites. Various devices are then plugged into various Ethernet ports throughout the house, and several devices are also connected to the network wirelessly to the Orbi WiFi. None of the satellites have any Ethernet cords plugged into them - they are just on A/C power, and, I assume, "on the network" solely by their WiFi connections to the router. For the most part, I'm happy with the setup and speed.

I've used Orbi suport Article ID: 000051205, titled "What is Ethernet backhaul and how do I set it up on my Orbi WiFi System?" as my template. Neither of the three setups is mine, because I do not have another router. In short, my setup is from the Orbi router's yellow WAN port, to a switch, to then each of the Orbi satellites joins by WiFi. The closest diagram is the third, but that is NOT it.

Okay, here are my specific questions:  

Question 1: Am I using the Ethernet backhaul properly, or even at all? In the connection I'm using, what is the use of the LAN ports in the satellites? Do devices plugged into those LAN ports just join the network by the satellite's WiFi connection (i.e., at less than an ideal speed)?

Question 2: It seems to me that I would have a better network if I connected the two RBS40 Satellites to the network by Ethernet connections to the main switch (i.e., instead of by WiFi). Am I right that that connection would be better/faster?

Question 3: Is what I'm using now an Access Point connection, OR, default mode? If I go with each satellite (except the RBW30) hard wired to the router and switch (as in Question 2 above), does that allow me to use the other LAN ports in the RBR40 and RBS40 for Ethernet connections? 

I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense - as I said before, I'm having a brain cramp and can't seem to keep this all straight in my head. Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
budy
Luminary

@cjaubert wrote:

I have a brain cramp. I've read through these forums for awhile, and can't seem to find the precise question I have. So, here goes:

Background: I have an RBR40 router, two RBS40 satellites, and one RBW30 satellite. All the latest firmware is there. (See attached screenshot.) The RBR40 is my only router, and is connected to the Internet by an Ethernet cable to its WAN port. Then, one of the RBR40's Ethernet LAN ports goes to a Netgear wired switch that then feeds several in-the-wall Ethernet ports throughout the house. The three satellites are then connected to the network simply by WiFi - there is no hard-wired connection for either of the three satellites. Various devices are then plugged into various Ethernet ports throughout the house, and several devices are also connected to the network wirelessly to the Orbi WiFi. None of the satellites have any Ethernet cords plugged into them - they are just on A/C power, and, I assume, "on the network" solely by their WiFi connections to the router. For the most part, I'm happy with the setup and speed.

I've used Orbi suport Article ID: 000051205, titled "What is Ethernet backhaul and how do I set it up on my Orbi WiFi System?" as my template. Neither of the three setups is mine, because I do not have another router. In short, my setup is from the Orbi router's yellow WAN port, to a switch, to then each of the Orbi satellites joins by WiFi. The closest diagram is the third, but that is NOT it.

Okay, here are my specific questions:  

Question 1: Am I using the Ethernet backhaul properly, or even at all? In the connection I'm using, what is the use of the LAN ports in the satellites? Do devices plugged into those LAN ports just join the network by the satellite's WiFi connection (i.e., at less than an ideal speed)?

Question 2: It seems to me that I would have a better network if I connected the two RBS40 Satellites to the network by Ethernet connections to the main switch (i.e., instead of by WiFi). Am I right that that connection would be better/faster?

Question 3: Is what I'm using now an Access Point connection, OR, default mode? If I go with each satellite (except the RBW30) hard wired to the router and switch (as in Question 2 above), does that allow me to use the other LAN ports in the RBR40 and RBS40 for Ethernet connections? 

I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense - as I said before, I'm having a brain cramp and can't seem to keep this all straight in my head. Thanks!

1. Wired backhaul simply describes the configuration where one satellite is connects to the RBR via ethernet. This isn't the case for any of your RBS, so you're running a wireless backhaul only. For that the Orbi systems keeps hold of some 5GHz WiFi-channles, that it will not let you use.

2. Wired backhaul provides two important enhancements: better latency and higher "range". I'd always prefer a wired backhaul, where available.

3. AP-Mode only references the Orbi main device's mode of operation. In your case its your RBR, which is obviously running in router mode. In AP-mode some features, e.g. the Circles App are not available, since the RBR acts like an access point, rather as a router. The question is, what does the RBR's WAN port actually connect to? Does it connect to a modem or another router?

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 2 of 10
cjaubert
Aspirant

Great response, thanks!

You asked, "what does the RBR's WAN port actually connect to? Does it connect to a modem or another router?" Answer: It receives the Frontier connection from outside (I guess it actually comes from the Frontier modem in the garage?). Then, it goes right to a 16 port Netgear hub. That hub feeds the various ports in various walls throughout the house. That's it. The satellites are just plugged into electricity, and, I assume get (and distribute) their Internet connection via WiFi.

So, it seems that the satellite connection should be FROM one of the hard-wired ports on the main switch TO one of the LAN ports on the satellite? If that's correct, am I right that that does two things: (1) connects the Ethernet backhaul correctly (i.e., by Ethernet, not WiFi), and (2) allows the other LAN ports on the Satellite to become "live" and allow things to be plugged into it for an Ethernet connection?

THANKS!!

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

This 16 port NG switch, whats the model# of this switch? Managed or NON managed? There are some issues with managed switches and Orbi systems.

@cjaubert wrote:

Great response, thanks!

You asked, "what does the RBR's WAN port actually connect to? Does it connect to a modem or another router?" Answer: It receives the Frontier connection from outside (I guess it actually comes from the Frontier modem in the garage?). Then, it goes right to a 16 port Netgear hub. That hub feeds the various ports in various walls throughout the house. That's it. The satellites are just plugged into electricity, and, I assume get (and distribute) their Internet connection via WiFi.

So, it seems that the satellite connection should be FROM one of the hard-wired ports on the main switch TO one of the LAN ports on the satellite? If that's correct, am I right that that does two things: (1) connects the Ethernet backhaul correctly (i.e., by Ethernet, not WiFi), and (2) allows the other LAN ports on the Satellite to become "live" and allow things to be plugged into it for an Ethernet connection?

THANKS!!

Message 4 of 10
cjaubert
Aspirant

Non managed. Staples cheapo model. Thanks.
Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, making sure...

Should be able to connect the satellite(s) to a switch if it's inbetween the router and satellite. I have two in the middle of my one satellite.

Message 6 of 10
cjaubert
Aspirant

I think we're on the same page - let me please say it one more time, just to be sure:

Current setup: Frontier --> RBR40 --> Netgear switch --> making all ports in the house walls "hot" --> both satelites connected to the network via WiFi only (i.e., not plugged into any LAN ports anywhere)

New proposed setup: Frontier --> RBR40 --> Netgear switch --> making all ports in the house walls "hot" --> one Orbi satellite from a hot LAN port in the wall (fed by the Netgear switch) to a LAN port on the Orbi satellite, and the other Orbi satellite from another hot LAN port in the wall (also fed by the Netgear switch) to a LAN port on that Orbi satellite --> which (a) leaves all the other LAN ports in the walls "hot," and (b) leaves the remaining open LAN ports on the two Orbi satellites "hot."

Am I getting this? 🙂

Thanks!

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, however as a quick test, lets take out the switch in the middle and try connecting the satellite directly to the back of the Orbi router. Just to make sure it works in this configuration first. if so, then power off the satellite and put it back in its remote location and power up. Does it connect at the remote location then?

Message 8 of 10
budy
Luminary

Yeah…should just work the way you described. On my, slightly different, setup (running my RBR40 in AP mode) it is basically connected the same way - from my DSL router into the main Zyxel switch (managed, btw.) and my RBR40 connects to that same Zyxel switch via it's LAN port. My other satelite just connects to the Zyxel switch via it's LAN port as well.

Also, I do have two more ethernet connections made from my RBR40 to two more devices, which also work reliably and fast.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Couple of idea, I don't have a swtich in between mine. Goes from ISP Modem to Orbi router then to switch.

If you have a manged which, this could be an issue. Seen others with problems and managed swtiches. One user did suggest that after he disable IGMP protocol on his managed switch, his Orbi system began working correctly. Something to check on yours.

@budy wrote:

Yeah…should just work the way you described. On my, slightly different, setup (running my RBR40 in AP mode) it is basically connected the same way - from my DSL router into the main Zyxel switch (managed, btw.) and my RBR40 connects to that same Zyxel switch via it's LAN port. My other satelite just connects to the Zyxel switch via it's LAN port as well.

Also, I do have two more ethernet connections made from my RBR40 to two more devices, which also work reliably and fast.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7