Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR40 Orbi router dropping connection to internet

akire
Aspirant

RBR40 Orbi router dropping connection to internet

We keep losing our connection to the internet however I have rung the telco company and they can see no drop outs from the modem. I have also seen when our internet is down, that the connection for the internet still appears fine. The telco can see no disconnections on the logs. BUT we keep having many disconnections that last 5-10 minutes each, only to happen a while later... the other day there was about 5 diconnections I noticed.  I've tried powering the Orbi off and on again and it seems to work but whether that is just within the 5-10 min timeframe - I don't know. The firmware version is V2.2.1.210.  It's frustrating as when there is no internet connection, the laptop or PC connection to the Orbi appears normal as if there is is no issue - but there is. It doesn't have a cross over the network conection icon and it seems the connection to the ORbi is, as I said - fine..  I cannot find any logs on the admin console to see if there are any disconnections either.

Please can anyone suggest what to do to resolve this? I've had the router for 11 months, still under the 1 year warranty period. Is it a problem with the unit or just a technical fix needed? Thanks so much.

Message 1 of 7
ekhalil
Master

Re: RBR40 Orbi router dropping connection to internet

What wired devices do you have connected to the Orbi base stations? Do you have any mesh speakers (e.g. Sonos) wired to Orbi?

Message 2 of 7
akire
Aspirant

Hi. Thanks for your reply/questions. I have nothing plugged into the Orbi router. The only wired cable is the one going to the modem on the wall. There are no speakers. Everything is wireless and all just PC/laptops/ipad, chrome book and a 2 TV's. I did have the wall satellite RBW30 plugged in but after I noticed the connection issues, I took it out so as to eliminate it as a problem and the problem still exists.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

@akire wrote:

We keep losing our connection to the internet however I have rung the telco company and they can see no drop outs from the modem. I have also seen when our internet is down, that the connection for the internet still appears fine. The telco can see no disconnections on the logs. BUT we keep having many disconnections that last 5-10 minutes each, only to happen a while later... the other day there was about 5 diconnections I noticed.  I've tried powering the Orbi off and on again and it seems to work but whether that is just within the 5-10 min timeframe - I don't know. The firmware version is V2.2.1.210.  It's frustrating as when there is no internet connection, the laptop or PC connection to the Orbi appears normal as if there is is no issue - but there is. It doesn't have a cross over the network conection icon and it seems the connection to the ORbi is, as I said - fine..  I cannot find any logs on the admin console to see if there are any disconnections either.

Please can anyone suggest what to do to resolve this? I've had the router for 11 months, still under the 1 year warranty period. Is it a problem with the unit or just a technical fix needed? Thanks so much.

Message 4 of 7
ekhalil
Master

@akire wrote:

Hi. Thanks for your reply/questions. I have nothing plugged into the Orbi router. The only wired cable is the one going to the modem on the wall. There are no speakers. Everything is wireless and all just PC/laptops/ipad, chrome book and a 2 TV's. I did have the wall satellite RBW30 plugged in but after I noticed the connection issues, I took it out so as to eliminate it as a problem and the problem still exists.

Apart from the questions above from FURRY, Is Orbi set to AP or Router mode? If set to Router mode, is the ISP modem/router bridged so that it's not providing DHCP functionality?

Message 5 of 7
akire
Aspirant

Hi there

Sorry Orbi router back with manufacturer at the moment so unable to try... however you are asking me some pretty technical questions that I am unable to answer. I'll see how if get on with the warranty and what they do for me, and if I get the old unit back again, I'll try some of those things. Thanks people. 🙂

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

@akire wrote:

Hi there

Sorry Orbi router back with manufacturer at the moment so unable to try... however you are asking me some pretty technical questions that I am unable to answer. I'll see how if get on with the warranty and what they do for me, and if I get the old unit back again, I'll try some of those things. Thanks people. 🙂

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7