Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR40/RBK43S mesh system

Johanne9501
Follower

RBR40/RBK43S mesh system

My Internet service provider is warning me that my Orbi device is trying to access malicious sites. I am also seeing an increase is blocked spam attempts from both the orbi system and my internet service provider. The orbi app shows me what other devices are trying to access. But of course it doesn't show me what is going on with the orbi. I'm afraid I've been hacked and I don't know what to.
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

it isn't the orbi accessing it but usually an device using the orbi and sending through malicious connections. 

Have you tried doing a malware/antivirus scan on your devices connected to orbi?

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@Johanne9501 wrote:
My Internet service provider is warning me that my Orbi device is trying to access malicious sites. I am also seeing an increase is blocked spam attempts from both the orbi system and my internet service provider. The orbi app shows me what other devices are trying to access. But of course it doesn't show me what is going on with the orbi. I'm afraid I've been hacked and I don't know what to.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@plemans wrote:

it isn't the orbi accessing it but usually an device using the orbi and sending through malicious connections. 

Have you tried doing a malware/antivirus scan on your devices connected to orbi?

The source is almost certainly a device that opens web pages (computer, laptop, tablet, smartphone), not any of your Internet of Things (IoT) devices.  This report claims Throtle.com violates their Ethical Design Creiteia in two ways: https://better.fyi/trackers/thrtle.com/ both of which involve web pages.

Eliminating the tracker on Windows is pretty easy (CCleaner and MalwareBytes will both root it out.)  Macs, iPhones, and Android phones may have similar capabilities.

Another method might be to recall what was happening at the times mentioned in the AT&T report.  If some devices were definitely idle at that time, they could be lower on the investigation list.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7