Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR40/RBS40 Firmware 2.5.1.22

simonpjc
Aspirant

RBR40/RBS40 Firmware 2.5.1.22

I was making some changes to my Orbi setup yesterday and spotted a new firmware (2.5.1.22) is available for my RBR40 router and RBS40 satellites, but I can't see any mention of it either here or on the Netgear support site to see release notes so I was wondering if anyone knows what is in it.  I am currently running 2.5.1.16 without any obvious issues (touch wood) so I am not planning to hit the update button without a good reason!

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 9
Mstrbig
Master

Some times you will find leaked firmware that does not show up on the website or available through the WEB GUI. I never update to those, until they become official, as you can read story after story about issues related to the new firmware. So I wait for it to be visible on the Netgear Website. Currently there are 2 updates for my Orbi RBK53 system, but don't show up on their website. I have not updated.

Message 2 of 9
Gasman1
Aspirant

I don't believe it was leaked firmware. The other day I logged onto my Orbi app I was notified that there was a firmware update available. I clicked on update and installed 2.5.1.22 on my router without an issue. I also have two RBS 20 satellites but the website states that my 2.5.1.16 firmware he's up-to-date on them. I can find no mention anywhere on the Internet of the 2.5.1.22 firmware update.

Message 3 of 9
Jetdrive
Luminary

Wow. many of us were upgraded automatically to 2.5.2.4 a week or so ago. Still no mention of it on Netgear's site.

Message 4 of 9
Mstrbig
Master

@Jetdrive wrote:

Wow. many of us were upgraded automatically to 2.5.2.4 a week or so ago. Still no mention of it on Netgear's site.

Exactly and many of us running V2.5.1.16 were not. So it had to be a push to resolve issues with the previous firmware, or everyone would be getting it and it would be on the Netgear website for download.

Message 5 of 9
Jetdrive
Luminary

You're missing bthe point of my comment. Netgear is rolling out an older 2.5.1.22
Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Acutally v22 would be more recent than v16 thats currently available for download on NGs site. 

NG makes newer versions available on Orbi app or sometimes RBRs web page as notifications to inform users that there is a FW update availalbe and it's up to users to choose to update or not. Seems like v22 is something new which NG hasn't posted yet for manual download. 

@Jetdrive wrote:
You're missing bthe point of my comment. Netgear is rolling out an older 2.5.1.22

Message 7 of 9
Dehatter
Tutor

@Jetdrive wrote:

2.5.2.4 is for the RBK50 system.    This should not be installed on an RBK43 system.  Though the numbers are similar, they are designed for seperate hardware.

RBK43 firmware should not be installed on RBK50 systems either.  Firmware 2.5.2.4 was pushed to all RBK50 systems on August 9, 2020 due to a security flaw in the previous firmware (2.5.1.16 for RBK50).  RBK43 systems do not have this flaw.

Message 8 of 9
Dehatter
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Acutally v22 would be more recent than v16 thats currently available for download on NGs site. 

NG makes newer versions available on Orbi app or sometimes RBRs web page as notifications to inform users that there is a FW update availalbe and it's up to users to choose to update or not. Seems like v22 is something new which NG hasn't posted yet for manual download. 

@Jetdrive wrote:

RBK853 systems should be running firmware v3.2.16.6.  JSYK.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7