Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR40 RBS40 Firmware Upgrade

clarknet
Tutor

RBR40 RBS40 Firmware Upgrade

I've been using an RBR40 and one of the two RBW30 satellites supplied when I bought the system. The second satellite is not needed in my townhouse. RBR40 in basement, RBW30 Satellite is two stories up, on 2nd floor. 

I am considering upgrading the firmware of both units becuase the attached device lists is important to me, and I have been experiencing a lot of issues with it, including poor naming defaults, and issues renaming devices.  Newer firmware is listed as having a fix for that. I also have had issues with no devices connecting to the satellite and I have tried a bunch of suggested fixes for that (well documented on the community site)

Current Firmware: RBR40 - 2.3.5.32    RBW30 - v2.3.0.4

Using NetGear Support, downloading latest firmware for each:

I get the zip files, unpack them and see the pdf's and the following files:

(Using a Macbook with Catalina)

RBW30-V2.5.0.2_1.0.9.chk

RBR40-V2.5.1.16.img

Note: I have made a backup of my current settings. I plan to upgrade the satellite first, then the router as mentioned often in the Q&A's.

Questions:

1. Why does one firmware file end in .chk and the other end in .img? The img type on a Mac is usually a disc image, but it does not appear to a working disc image, at least on my Macbook. I used the links from the support page to download the firmware files several times and different computers, same results. 
  2. Should I hard reset both units first? This is often mentioned often in the community as a good idea. 
  3. After uploading new firmware:
    1. If I upload my settings file, will it put back the names and identifications on the devices? I've spent too much time on getting these right. 
    2. If I upload my current settings, will it, could it, just propogate issues from my previous settings? Just looking for feedback on this.
  4. Are there other issues I'm not thinking of? 

Thanks ahead of time, appreciate any feedback, help, etc.

Paul

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR40 RBS40 Firmware Upgrade

@clarknet wrote:

I've been using an RBR40 and one of the two RBW30 satellites supplied when I bought the system. The second satellite is not needed in my townhouse. RBR40 in basement, RBW30 Satellite is two stories up, on 2nd floor. 

I am considering upgrading the firmware of both units becuase the attached device lists is important to me, and I have been experiencing a lot of issues with it, including poor naming defaults, and issues renaming devices.  Newer firmware is listed as having a fix for that. I also have had issues with no devices connecting to the satellite and I have tried a bunch of suggested fixes for that (well documented on the community site)

RBW30-V2.5.0.2_1.0.9.chk

RBR40-V2.5.1.16.img

Note: I have made a backup of my current settings. I plan to upgrade the satellite first, then the router as mentioned often in the Q&A's.

Questions:

1. Why does one firmware file end in .chk and the other end in .img? The img type on a Mac is usually a disc image, but it does not appear to a working disc image, at least on my Macbook. I used the links from the support page to download the firmware files several times and different computers, same results. Just how NG gives names to there FW Files. Some models are not the same. Do not attempt to open the .img file in OSX. Just use the RBRs web page to upload the .img file. Update the satellites first then the RBR lastly. 
  2. Should I hard reset both units first? This is often mentioned often in the community as a good idea. I would update the units first, then after all is loaded, factory reset the RBS and RBR and setup from scratch. 
    1. If I upload my settings file, will it put back the names and identifications on the devices? I've spent too much time on getting these right. 
    2. If I upload my current settings, will it, could it, just propogate issues from my previous settings? Just looking for feedback on this. I would update the units first, then after all is loaded, factory reset the RBS and RBR and setup from scratch. Do not apply a prior backup configuration from file as what only applies to the verion of FW it was created on and could cause problems on newer FW. After you reset and setup from scratch and have the system working, create a new backup to file.

Paul

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

@clarknet wrote:

RBW30-V2.5.0.2_1.0.9.chk

RBR40-V2.5.1.16.img

Questions:

1. Why does one firmware file end in .chk and the other end in .img? The img type on a Mac is usually a disc image, but it does not appear to a working disc image, at least on my Macbook. I used the links from the support page to download the firmware files several times and different computers, same results. Just how NG gives names to there FW Files. Some models are not the same. Do not attempt to open the .img file in OSX. Just use the RBRs web page to upload the .img file. Update the satellites first then the RBR lastly. 
  2. Should I hard reset both units first? This is often mentioned often in the community as a good idea. I would update the units first, then after all is loaded, factory reset the RBS and RBR and setup from scratch. 
    2. If I upload my current settings, will it, could it, just propogate issues from my previous settings? Just looking for feedback on this. I would update the units first, then after all is loaded, factory reset the RBS and RBR and setup from scratch. Do not apply a prior backup configuration from file as what only applies to the verion of FW it was created on and could cause problems on newer FW. After you reset and setup from scratch and have the system working, create a new backup to file.

Paul

Message 2 of 7
clarknet
Tutor

Thanks! Im starting the process now. I'm glad I asked before doing this and then having to ask for help ; )

Message 3 of 7
clarknet
Tutor

So the upgarde went smoothly and everything is good. However, I only updated one of my two satellites. I then updated the router. I forgot I had a second satellite because I don't normally use it. 

So, I have the router, RBR40 at 2.5.1.16 and one satellite RBW30 at 2.5.0.2 and the second satellite, RBW30 at 2.3.0.4.  This second is normally offline, but I'd like to have it ready to use.

Question: Any risk in powering up the second satellited and updating it? Asking because it was clear to update satellites first, then router. I simply forgot the second in the process. Thanks. 

Paul 

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Hoping the 2nd RBW will even connect. Sometimes they wont if the FW version are not the same. Give it a try and see how it goes. If the RBW won't connect to the RBR with it's current version of FW, you may have to downgrade the RBR to the same version as the RBW temporarily. Then get the 2nd RBW updated to most current, then re-upgrade the RBR back to most current. 

Message 5 of 7
clarknet
Tutor

Thank for the quick response! I think I will postpone this for a later day. My system is working much better, and I have already put enough time into networking this week. The new firmware fixed my list of connected devices which is a big help. Also my 2nd story satellite is connecting to devices like it should. 

Again, thanks for helping me be successful in this process.

Paul

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good Enjoy it now.

Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos