Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR40 - RBS40 - RBS50Y - RBS50Y link problem

Wrathchild
Aspirant

RBR40 - RBS40 - RBS50Y - RBS50Y link problem

I have RBR40 connected as livingroom, and my RBS40 is located housegarage. Then i add RBS50Y outdoor near garage RBS40. Other RBS50Y is my barn wall 60 meters apart. Problem is barn satellite connects to RBS40 not RBS50Y what would give faster and better signal. Can i force RBS50Y to connect other RBS50Y?
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Might try this, power OFF the RBS40 for 30 seconds then back ON and see if the barn RBSY connects to other RBSY.

Is Daisy Chain enabled on the RBR? Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 6
Wrathchild
Aspirant

Does not work booting RBR40. Also daisychain is enabled. I tried to lower power to 50%, but it didn't work. It connect to 2ghz.
Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Wrathchild wrote:
I have RBR40 connected as livingroom, and my RBS40 is located housegarage. Then i add RBS50Y outdoor near garage RBS40. Other RBS50Y is my barn wall 60 meters apart. Problem is barn satellite connects to RBS40 not RBS50Y what would give faster and better signal. Can i force RBS50Y to connect other RBS50Y?

All of the descriptions about Daisy Chain that I find on the Netgear web site show a maximum of "two hops", i.e. router to satellite 1 to satellite 2. I have not found an example of "three hops", router-satellite1-satellite2-satellite3.

I did find this recommendation for both WiFi-ac and WiFi-ax Orbi's that mentions a maximum of two satellites in a daisy chain:

https://kb.netgear.com/000062035/How-many-satellites-can-you-add-to-an-Orbi-WiFi-System 

This question was asked specifically in 2020, and there was no resolution:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Daisy-Chain-limit/td-p/1861569 

Since there is no way to ask Netgear, all I can think of is to perform an experiment.  We already know that a Daisy Chain can be two satellites deep (which is deeper than any reference at Netgear) bcause it is working now.  What we do not know is if an RBS50Y will Daisy Chain through another RBS50Y. Use a long ethernet patch cable to temporarily move the router to the RBS40 location. (Amazon sells 50 and 100 ft. ethernet cables for under $20US. Yes, it will be ugly and a tripping hazard.)  Power up in order: router, close RBS50Y, far RBS50Y. What should happen in this location is the router will connect to the first RBS50Y and the farthest RBS50Y will connect to the close one  This will establish  that an RBS50Y will Daisy Chain through another RBS50Y.  If this experiment fails, then attempting to Daisy Chain two RBS50Y's is syspect. If it succeeds, then the "three hop" seems to be the problem.

I would volunteer to do this experiment, but (a) I have only two satellites - which we know works, and (b) I have no RBS50Y at all, let alone two.

Message 4 of 6
Wrathchild
Aspirant

When i boot my system after changing transmitter power to 100% to 50% i did manage to get RBS50Y connect straight to RBR40 and then two others connected to the ORS50Y. After this i did change it back to 100% and they returned original positions.

There fore i could get rid off RBS40 in the middle, but i need it to hardwire my security cameras. RBS50Y does not have ethernet port at all.. I think i can solve this by changing wifi power/or buy additional device for the camera system.
Message 5 of 6
Wrathchild
Aspirant

And here is screenshot.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements