Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR40, RBS40, and RBS50Y device connection priorities

Fitnessmentor
Follower

RBR40, RBS40, and RBS50Y device connection priorities

I have one RBR40 and two RBS40s. 

The RBR40 is on the first floor.

One RBS40 is on the second floor and the other is on the 2nd floor of a detatched garage apartment at least 100 feet from the RBS40.

The connection/speed has been decent but not stellar. Since I use the apartment as my office and I work from home, connection/speed needs to be better.

Purchased the RBS50Y to sit on the covered back porch to cut down the distance between my apartment satellite.

Everything is working but it hasn't really made any improvement in the apartment. Furthermore, my laptop (while in the apartment) is connecting to the router rather than the satellite sitting 5 feet away or the outdoor satellite sitting 50+ feet away. Same goes for the AppleTV in the apartment.

So perhaps I don't understand how Orbi prioritized which devices connect to which Orbi's. I would have thought they'd connect to the closest ones.

Are there some settings I can change to help have optimal speed in each location? I've already enabled Daisy Chain, Implicit Beamforming, MU-MIMO, and Fast Roaming. Perhaps I shouldn't use every setting or there are some additional tweaks I can make?

Thanks in advanced for any input/suggestions. I've been happy with the Orbi for the most part and just wanted to make a good system even more productive/efficient.

Message 1 of 2
st_shaw
Master

Re: RBR40, RBS40, and RBS50Y device connection priorities

Your laptop makes the ultimate decision regarding which Orbi to connect to. Sounds like you have an issue with your laptop choosing the right Orbi.

Is this issue unique to the laptop? In other words, do other devices in the apartment connect to the nearest Orbi?

Most laptops don't roam like phones and tablets.  You probably will need to cycle WiFi OFF and ON on your laptop to get it to connect to the best Orbi, which should be the one 5-ft away. Did you try this?

Your speeds might improve if you get your laptop to connect to the nearest Orbi, and you get daisy chain working.  You cannot control how Orbi's connect using daisy chain.  About all you can do is rearrange the physical location of the Orbis so the Orbi in the apartment sees a stronger signal from the outdoor satellite than from the router.

Fundamentally, though, your problem is your apartment is over 100 feet away and there are several walls between your WiFi client and your router.  You will never get maximum speeds under those conditions.  If you want top speed in the apartment, you will need to run an Ethernet wire out there, or install some sort of wireless point-to-point link on the outside of each building.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7