Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR40 / RBW30

Jsolari
Follower

RBR40 / RBW30

Hi! Just set up the system. I'm having a poor wireless backlog connection between router RBR40 and satellite RBW30. They are connected to each other and I can connect devices to each other indifferently and ok. I'm not sure if I need to have "good" connection and if so how.
Thanks!
Model: RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR40 / RBW30

When the backhaul link between router and satellite is "good", it will achieve the highest transmission speed.  "Fair" will be less than that.  If the backhaul link is significantly greater than the internet rate, then you gain little be improving it.  However, with so many people paying for higher internet speeds, a slow link between router and satellite will mean devices connected to the satellite have worse performance than devices connected to the router.

If you want to know what the backhaul link rate is, it takes some effort.  (RANT: Netgear's Orbi "app" conveniently shows the "Link Rate" for devices except satellites, but the web interface uses only terms like "Good", "Fair", etc. and silly WiFi "bars.")

Go to the debug page (http://<ip of orbi>/debug.htm) and check "Enable Telnet".  Then, get a telnet client (Windows has one that can be actiated from the "Programs" control panel.  I use Putty because it makes keeping a log of the session easier.)  Log into the Orbi using the admin ID "admin" and the administrative password, then type satelliteinfo wifi.

Here is what my RBR50-RBS50 link shows:

root@DickRBR50:/# satelliteinfo wifi
[
"mac address" : "A0:04:60:0D:96:FA",
"hop" : "1",
"bridge mac" : "A0:04:60:0D:96:FA",
"backhaul conntype" : "5GHz",
"backhaul rssi" : "-68",
"backhaul macaddress" : "A0:04:60:0D:96:FD",
"backhaul phytxrate" : "780",
"backhaul phyrxrate" : "780",
"backhaul parentmac" : "A0:04:60:1C:02:39"
}
Notice that my transmit and receive rate over the 5G backhaul link is 780mb/sec.  That is significantly higher than my internet connection of 100mb/sec.  So, even considering WiFi overhead, the router-satellite link is not a bottleneck.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7