Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR40 Router dropping Arris TM822A, I think

bah123
Aspirant

RBR40 Router dropping Arris TM822A, I think

I bought an Orbi RBK33 system with RBR40 router last November. Intially, everything was fine, but somewhere along the way it appears the router decides to drop it's connection to the modem (perhaps starting in December). At least, I think this is the problem. I see my WiFi router isn't listed as an available network from all the devices I use (phones, tablets, computer, roku).  Sometimes, while monitoring the WiFi, I see our it disappear, come back and disappear again from my devices when having trouble. Most often, I have to cycle power to the router to get it to come back up. It might stay up minutes, hours or a week. It seems like when there is a rough period, it stays up closer to minutes than hours. 

FWIW I do have a technical background but my knowledge in this area is poor. I logged into my router and there are no new firmware updates to install for the router or sattelites. Perhaps there are other router settings to attend to? 

I am at a loss. I don't mind throwing money at this problem to replace either the router or modem, but I really would like some idea of which is the culprit before I take a guess.

This is the system I purchased: 

NETGEAR Orbi Whole Home Mesh WiFi System with Tri-band – Eliminate WiFi dead zones, Simple plug-in s...

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Tray swapping out the LAN cable between the modem and router.

Disable IPv6 on the Orbi router.

When you loose connection, can you still access the routers web page?

Do both wired and wireless devices access the routers web page when this happens?

Might have your ISP check your service signal from there side to the modem. Have them check there logs for any disconnections during these times frames. You might check into a newer model modem. Preferably a stand alone modem. No built in router.

Any wifi neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 8
bah123
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for helping!

I think the most important clue may be that we cannot login to our router when we lose WiFi. It doesn't show up as an availble network from any of our devices. 

>Tray swapping out the LAN cable between the modem and router.

I swapped out the cable with new some time ago.

>Disable IPv6 on the Orbi router.

It's been disabled all along.

>When you loose connection, can you still access the routers web page?

No. The router disappears from an available WiFi device so I can't even get onto it.

>Do both wired and wireless devices access the routers web page when this happens?

Presently I only have wireless devices on the network.

>Might have your ISP check your service signal from there side to the modem. Have them check there logs for any disconnections during >these times frames. You might check into a newer model modem. Preferably a stand alone modem. No built in router.

The symptoms of our current problems don't quite fit with dropping the ISP. We fought a long ISP battle over the course of a number of years with our modem dropping the ISP. We could always login to our router but we did not have an internet connection and the LEDs on the modem showed that a connection was dropped. We are experiencing neither of these circumstances presently. In the end, after numerous visits from our ISP's techs, we ended up with a new modem, they boosted our signal level from down the street and finally they figured out the builders did a really **bleep**ty job terminating coax cables.

I don't have a problem replacing the modem and maybe it's worth a shot in the dark? However, it doesn't seem like replacing the modem quite fits the problems we are experiencing (coming from a guy with limited knowledge).

Any wifi neighbors near by? If so, how many?

We have around 10 WiFi neighbors.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Try changing to manual channels, 1 6 or 11 that your neighbors are not using. Any unused channel on 5Ghz.

As last resort, try a factory reset:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/I-found-a-Connection-issue-Resolution-for-wired-backhaul/m-p/1...

Message 4 of 8
bah123
Aspirant

>Try changing to manual channels, 1 6 or 11 that your neighbors are not using. Any unused channel on 5Ghz.
5/12/18
2.4GHz from Auto to Ch1
5GHz from Ch48 to Ch36
Seemed mostly ok. A handful of instances where router needed reset until afternoon of 5/16.

5/16
Router went down and wouldn't even come back up as an available network. It was up/down and then completely down (network name didn't show up in WiFi network list). 

>As last resort, try a factory reset:
>https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/I-found-a-Connection-issue-Resolution-for-wired-backhaul/m-p/1...

I did try a factory reset a few times within the last few months. The first seemed to help for a 1-3weeks. The second reset had no apparent affect. The third seemed to help for 1-3weeks although it still dropped out just less frequently. I did the factory reset again toda (5/16) and the network is up and down.

I'm really at a loss. 

The link you provided referenced wired backhaul issues. I don't know what this is.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Was a step by step process you could follow up to the point of skipping connecting the ethernet cable between the router and satellite.

Only other thing to try is have your ISP upgrade your modem and see. Have then check your ISP signal levels as well.

I have my 40 series running on a TM722G however thats a modem/router combo and it's in full bridge mode. No issues.

Message 6 of 8
bah123
Aspirant

Thank you!

My new cable modem came in today. The router dropped again almost immediately.

I have had signal level problems in this house in the past (which took years and ten or so ISP tech visits to solve). Both the neighborhood signal level needed increased and the coax connectors were not terminated correctly. When I had these issues the cable modem would always drop out, but I would still have router's WiFi LAN. I'd lose internet connectivity but still have the WiFi available. Also, the cable modem LEDs indicated I did not have an internet connection. I haven't had any of these issues within the last year or so. 

The new modem shows no sign of internet connectivity issues either.

At this stage, I am concluding the router is bad. Is this a reasonable assesment?

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact NG support and ask them what can be done. Might ask for an RMA.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7