Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR40 Satellite connection issues

AMExtreme
Aspirant

RBR40 Satellite connection issues

I have an RBR40 router and satellite combo. The satellite is within 15m of the router and line of sight - no walls between them. The satellite is not detected by the router and says there is no connection to it. However devices on the 2.4GHz band connect fine to the satellite and subsequently to the internet. My iphone (sonce upgrading to iOS13) no longer connects to the satellite - it says there is full wifi available - but won't actually connect through to the internet. It connects fine to the router.

I don't understand how the satellite can not show up on the router - but still seem to work for some devices.

Firmware on both is all up to date

Any ideas?

TIA

Message 1 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

What is the indication that the satellite is not connected to the router?  i.e. the Orbi "app" or the Orbi web interface?

Message 2 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

oh, and what is the indication that devices are connecting to the satellite?

Message 3 of 12
AMExtreme
Aspirant

On both the app and through the web
Message 4 of 12
AMExtreme
Aspirant

I have a laptop upstairs with full Wi-Fi strength signal connecting to the internet no problem... which is too far away from the main router to connect to that... (if I turn off the satellite I can’t connect to the internet and have no Wi-Fi signal)
Message 5 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Definitely an interesting situation: "It cannot be, yet it is."

With the laptop connected to the satellite, what does the Orbi web interface "Attached Devices" page show for the laptop?  i.e. is the laptop on the list of Attached Devices and what is given as the connection?

Message 6 of 12
AMExtreme
Aspirant

It doesnt come up in the list of attached devices! - nothing attached at that end of the house does (Sonos is the other thing that works)

Message 7 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

I do not see mention of restarting the Orbi and satellite in these posts.  You have done that, correct?

Our "bag of tricks" eventually gets down to the last tool:  "factory reset". How much have you done to customize the Orbi configuation?

Message 8 of 12
AMExtreme
Aspirant

I have reset both - soemtimes that resolves the issue,,, but eventually the satellite loses connection again over time.

Not tried the factory reset - that may be the next step. I have limited coifguration on the network so it shouldnt be too onerous to do.

Message 9 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

This is fortunate.  I have 35+ devices with custom configurations (IPs, Names, Descriptions), DDNS, VPN and things I have probably forgotten.  I usually save a config file and try to reload it the first thing after a factory reset and hope that cures things.  If the config itself is corrupted, then a total configuration is the last resort.  (I can see why people with over 100 devices baulk at doing a reset.  OMG!)

Message 10 of 12
AMExtreme
Aspirant

Wow... yeah - that would be a headache. I'm in an easy position then.... so i should just bite the bullet and start from scratch. That way i can be sure everything works

Message 11 of 12
AMExtreme
Aspirant

PS - thanks for the help....

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements