Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR40 Slow WAN Connection

janfossi
Aspirant

RBR40 Slow WAN Connection

My RBR40 is giving no more than 150Mbps on the WAN Port.

I have a 400Mbps download and 200Mbps internet connection which I tested connecting my computer directly to the ethernet cable with similar speeds.

When I connect the RBR40 even though it correctly negotiates a GigabitEthernet connection (Full Duplex 1000Mbps), it can't reach more than 150Mbps of download and 100Mbps for upload speed.

I tested with the SpeedTest app included on the router, so I'm testing the WAN Ethernet speed and not the WIFI. I also connected my computer to the LAN Ethernet port, reaching similar speeds. Wifi is aprox. 150 as well.

Please your suggestions!

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR40 Slow WAN Connection

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 6
janfossi
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 The firmware version is V2.5.1.22.

It's connected to a ZNID-GPON-2425A-0GT (Zhone Technologies)  

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Check the speed with a wired PC at the ONT with out the RBR connected.

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the ONT and RBR. CAT6 is recommended. 

Power OFF both ONT and RBR for 30 seconds then back on. 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 4 of 6
janfossi
Aspirant

Hi @FURRYe38 this is a persistent problem. I have performed reset and even make the technicians form the ISP to come to my house to check the connectivity and everything is ok. They offer me a wireless router of their own but I didn't accept it, I need to cover 3000sqft with concrete walls and they won't provide a system with repeaters. I have connected my computer directly to the ONT and the speed is 400Mbps.

I'm using CAT6. I was using CAT5e (which is also fine for 1Gbps but I changed it anyway a couple of weeks ago).

I have actually updated to the latest version for the RBR40 this morning and the behaviour was as follows:

- It restarted. When the wifi kick-in I connected with my laptop via WIFI and it reached 380Mbps... Great! But after maybe 2 - 3 minutes it came back to 150Mbps on the WAN side of the RBR40 again (measured with the SpeedTest app included on the router). It seems that when the RBS40 (Satellites) start connecting, it decreases the speed on the WAN. It's really annoying, this is a very expensive system.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

So a reset on the Orbi system has been performed and setup from scratch? 

Is Armor or Circle enabled? 

Try this, leave OFF the RBS for a while. Reboot the ONT and RBR. Test the speed initially then after a while. Does the speed reduce still or maintain? 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7