Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR40: Wired users can't see wireless users

mkennerley
Aspirant

RBR40: Wired users can't see wireless users

I am having problems with my wired devices connecting to wireless devices.

I have an RBR40 orbi router that is handing out 192.168.1.x addresses. I have a wireless printer attached on 192.168.1.17. All the wireless devices on the 192.168.1.x network can print to this printer.

The Orbi router and all the PCs in the house are connected via a TP-Link switch to the Virgin Media Hub 3.0.

The VM hub 3.0 is handing out 192.168.0.y addresses.

So devices in 192.168.1.x can see devices in 192.168.1.x and 192.168.0.y

But devices in 192.168.0.y can see devices in 192.168.0.y BUT NOT in 192.168.1.x

Confused?!!

I have tried to set the Orbi's LAN settings to the same as the VM router (ie everything on 192.168.0.y) but it won't allow it to be the same IPs as the WAN address.

On my previous Orbi and RBR50 I could access all devices whether they were connected to the Orbi or the router, until a firmware update bricked it. The RBR40 replaced it.

The 

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Glad to see that you understand the problem.  Your analysis is correct.  You have two routers back to back, which is called a "Double NAT" and is generally not a good idea.  Even though it can "work", it can also prevent specific networking applications from functioning.  If you don't want or need such capability, then the double NAT may not affect you.

An immediate fix would be to put the Orbi in Access Point (AP) mode.  That way, the VM Hub will assign IP addresses to everything (which will be on the 192.168.0.x subnet) and everything will see everything.

If you are using Orbi router features, such as Disney Circle or Armor, or for some reason prefer the Orbi as a router over the VM Hub, then you can disconnect the TP-Link switch from the VM Hub.  Plug the Orbi into the VM  Hub and plug the TP-Link switch into the Orbi.  Now, the VM Hub will be assigning only one IP address (to the Orbi) and the Orbi will be assigning all of the devices IP addresses, and they will all see each other.

If you pick "option 2", another step would be to get the VM Hub put into "bridge" or "passthrough" mode where it no longer assigns IP addresses.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Glad to see that you understand the problem.  Your analysis is correct.  You have two routers back to back, which is called a "Double NAT" and is generally not a good idea.  Even though it can "work", it can also prevent specific networking applications from functioning.  If you don't want or need such capability, then the double NAT may not affect you.

An immediate fix would be to put the Orbi in Access Point (AP) mode.  That way, the VM Hub will assign IP addresses to everything (which will be on the 192.168.0.x subnet) and everything will see everything.

If you are using Orbi router features, such as Disney Circle or Armor, or for some reason prefer the Orbi as a router over the VM Hub, then you can disconnect the TP-Link switch from the VM Hub.  Plug the Orbi into the VM  Hub and plug the TP-Link switch into the Orbi.  Now, the VM Hub will be assigning only one IP address (to the Orbi) and the Orbi will be assigning all of the devices IP addresses, and they will all see each other.

If you pick "option 2", another step would be to get the VM Hub put into "bridge" or "passthrough" mode where it no longer assigns IP addresses.

Message 2 of 4
mkennerley
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply CrimpOn.

I was wondering if the AP option was going to solve it but was trying to avoid it as I was planning on using Disney circle and the guest wifi.

Oh well AP mode it is.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, AP mode is a "quick fix" that makes devices connect, but addresses only that single situation.

In addition to wanting to use Disney Circle, there are other considerations for putting all the device assignment onto the VM Hub.  In my case, I found that my printer needed to have a constant IP address my Windows computers would "learn" where it was and I had to reinstall the printer every time it got a new IP address.  In fact, I have "assigned" IP addresses to over 25 devices.  Will the VM Hub allow you to do that?

For myself, I would probably address this in two stages: (1) physically recable.  Move the TP-Link switch to the Orbi and cable the Orbi directly to the VM Hub.  Leave the Orbi in router mode.  (2) call up my ISP and have the VM Hub put into pass-throug mode.  Now, my Orbi will handle all router tasks, including Disney Circle (I you decide you like it.)

Glad things are working out for you.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7