Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR40 and 3 RBS20 daisychaining when unchecked

roblender
Aspirant

RBR40 and 3 RBS20 daisychaining when unchecked

Running firmware v2.6.2.104 on all devices.  One of the satellites is connected to another instead of the base.  The other two connect to the base.  I have disabled daisy chain and rebooted and upgraded firmware after the change.  Still have one satellite connecting to another.  Before I got the third I had the second one in the location where the third sits now and it would connect to the base router directly.  Any idea why daisy chain is off but I still see a chain?

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
roblender
Aspirant

This method worked.  Steps to follow if daisy chain is not turning off even after changing in the admin

Check under devices which "Connected Orbi" a satellite is using.  If it is not the base then

1.  Turn off the satellite in the middle that is being used as the relay

2. Turn off them back on the satelittle that you want to connect directly to the base router

3. Watch the devices connected screen to see that the satellite connects to the base properly

4.  Turn on the satellite in the middle that was turned off in step 1.

All setelittes should be connected to the base and it should stay that way.  I forced this because I was having unreliable connections on computers connecting to the furthest satelittle when it was relaying.  No issues now 48 hrs in.

Rob

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
vajim
Master

@roblender wrote:

One of the satellites is connected to another instead of the base.  The other two connect to the base. 

How do you know this is happening?

How many sats do you have?

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

After disabling Daisy Chain, it's best to power OFF the RBR and RBS for 30 seconds, then power ON the RBR then RBS 1 at a time. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

@roblender wrote:

Running firmware v2.6.2.104 on all devices.  One of the satellites is connected to another instead of the base.  The other two connect to the base.  I have disabled daisy chain and rebooted and upgraded firmware after the change.  Still have one satellite connecting to another.  Before I got the third I had the second one in the location where the third sits now and it would connect to the base router directly.  Any idea why daisy chain is off but I still see a chain?

Message 3 of 10
vajim
Master

How do you know this is happening?

How many sats do you have?

Message 4 of 10
roblender
Aspirant

In the device attached section of the RBR40 it shows which base the satellite is attached to.  Also shows in the mobile app.  I have three sats.  

RBR40 in middle of house

RBS20(Basement)  Directly under the RBR40 and 20 feet in one direction.

RBS20(basement Bedroom)  Directly under the RBR40 and 30 feet 90 degrees from the basemone RBS20

RBS20(master bed) 30 feet from RBR40 on same floor and roughly same direction as basement RBS20

The basement bedroom unit attached to the basement satelitte from the start(old firmware and daisy chain on)  but my kids were having internet issues with dropped connections that they reported a day after I added the new satellite in the basement bedroom.  Went on for three days before I investigated. 

They had complained about slow speeds in their rooms but never dropped connections which is why I added the new sat.  In their rooms they have to go through multiple walls to get to the basement or base units.. Now they say the speed is good but reliability of connection is bad.  I also see the basement bedroom unit go from Good status and connected to basement satelittle to a sync config status.  After this I changed the setting to not daisy chain. Then rebooted and even upgraded the firmware on all four units at the same time.  Technically they have not complained today but the day is not over yet.  My daughter was upstairs earlier for class and that is usually a sign that she had issues in the past.

Rob

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

"RBS20(Basement)  Directly under the RBR40 and 20 feet in one direction." 20 feet is too close between the RBR and this one RBS. 30 feet for more...

At some point, you might try the following, IF you have disabled Daisy Chain on the RBR, turn OFF ALL RBS. I would then turn on the farthest RBS first and let it sync. Then power on the next RBS thats closer to the RBR, then ON with the last one. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

@roblender wrote:

In the device attached section of the RBR40 it shows which base the satellite is attached to.  Also shows in the mobile app.  I have three sats.  

RBR40 in middle of house

RBS20(Basement)  Directly under the RBR40 and 20 feet in one direction.

RBS20(basement Bedroom)  Directly under the RBR40 and 30 feet 90 degrees from the basemone RBS20

RBS20(master bed) 30 feet from RBR40 on same floor and roughly same direction as basement RBS20

The basement bedroom unit attached to the basement satelitte from the start(old firmware and daisy chain on)  but my kids were having internet issues with dropped connections that they reported a day after I added the new satellite in the basement bedroom.  Went on for three days before I investigated. 

They had complained about slow speeds in their rooms but never dropped connections which is why I added the new sat.  In their rooms they have to go through multiple walls to get to the basement or base units.. Now they say the speed is good but reliability of connection is bad.  I also see the basement bedroom unit go from Good status and connected to basement satelittle to a sync config status.  After this I changed the setting to not daisy chain. Then rebooted and even upgraded the firmware on all four units at the same time.  Technically they have not complained today but the day is not over yet.  My daughter was upstairs earlier for class and that is usually a sign that she had issues in the past.

Rob

Message 6 of 10
roblender
Aspirant

That worked.  The basement bedroom connected directly and then I turned on the basement and it also connected directly.  Will watch to see if it moves back but ten minutes in and we are good.

Message 7 of 10
vajim
Master

@roblender wrote:

That worked.  The basement bedroom connected directly and then I turned on the basement and it also connected directly.  Will watch to see if it moves back but ten minutes in and we are good.

Nice work 

keep an eye on the sat rim color 

Message 8 of 10
roblender
Aspirant

This method worked.  Steps to follow if daisy chain is not turning off even after changing in the admin

Check under devices which "Connected Orbi" a satellite is using.  If it is not the base then

1.  Turn off the satellite in the middle that is being used as the relay

2. Turn off them back on the satelittle that you want to connect directly to the base router

3. Watch the devices connected screen to see that the satellite connects to the base properly

4.  Turn on the satellite in the middle that was turned off in step 1.

All setelittes should be connected to the base and it should stay that way.  I forced this because I was having unreliable connections on computers connecting to the furthest satelittle when it was relaying.  No issues now 48 hrs in.

Rob

Message 9 of 10
fmalloy
Luminary

Thanks for the post. Sadly, the user should not have to go through these steps; turning off daisy chaining should cause the router to reconfigure on its own.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7