Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR40 and RBS20 backhaul and firmware

Retired_Member
Not applicable

RBR40 and RBS20 backhaul and firmware

I had trouble in the fall with my Orbi system to get the ethernet backhaul set up and had a discussion on this forum for that. At the end I concluded in the fall that the cable between Orbi Router and Apple TV was old so replaced it. In the end I set up my system with Cat 7 between modem and Orbi Router, Cat 7 between Router and 1 Satellite for backhaul and Cat 7 between Router and Apple TV which is located just next to Router. In addition I had a second Satellite connected via 5G wireless. After marking the discussion in the fall as Solved, the system started crashing again a day later and stability was a serious issue. If I unplugged the ethernet cable between Router and Apple TV, system is stable and has been so for 3-4 months with one Satellite connected via Ethernet and another Satellite via 5G. Two issues do arise for me:

1) Firmware does not update automatically any more when trying to do so via Orbi App or Orbilogin.net. Router has Firmware version V2.5.1.22 and Satellites has version V2.5.1.16. When looking at Orbi website, I can see that Router has version V2.6.1.36 available for download and Satellite has version V2.6.1.38 available for download. Checking for updates give me feedback that both Router and Satellites have latest version of Firmware. Why is that so?

2) Internet speed into house is 300Mb and speed measure with Ookla app next to Router gives me 300Mb all the time, speed next to the wireless Satellite gives me 300Mb all the time, while speed at the Wired Satellite gives me 300Mb for about a day or two and then drops to approx 90Mb. If I power cycle everything, the speed next to Wired Satellite goes to 300Mb again for a day or two and then drops to 90Mb. Any idea why that is going on?

Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR40 and RBS20 backhaul and firmware

@Retired_Member wrote:

1) Firmware does not update automatically any more when trying to do so via Orbi App or Orbilogin.net. Router has Firmware version V2.5.1.22 and Satellites has version V2.5.1.16. When looking at Orbi website, I can see that Router has version V2.6.1.36 available for download and Satellite has version V2.6.1.38 available for download. Checking for updates give me feedback that both Router and Satellites have latest version of Firmware. Why is that so?

2) Internet speed into house is 300Mb and speed measure with Ookla app next to Router gives me 300Mb all the time, speed next to the wireless Satellite gives me 300Mb all the time, while speed at the Wired Satellite gives me 300Mb for about a day or two and then drops to approx 90Mb. If I power cycle everything, the speed next to Wired Satellite goes to 300Mb again for a day or two and then drops to 90Mb. Any idea why that is going on?

1) This is correct (sort of). Also a frequent topic of discussion on the forum. Some Orbi owners are determined to install "the latest firmware" and there are other attitudes, such as "if it ain't broke. dont' fix it." and "if there was a serious, critical reason to update the firmware, then Netgear would push it. Since they don't, there must not be.  There must be thousands of customers who took the Orbi out of the box, plugged it in, and have never thought about firmware.  The situation is a MESS.

If you truly want to update firmware, and the Firmware Update method does not work, the solution is to download the firmware from the Netgear support web site, extract the firmware from the zip file, and then choose the Manual Update tab.

2)  No idea.  It might be worth opening the "debug" web pages on router and satellite to see what they say about the CPU load.

i.e. http://orbilogin.net/debug.htm and http://<ip of satellite>/debug.htm

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7