Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR40 cannot upgrade to firmware V2.6.1.36

efouquet
Aspirant

RBR40 cannot upgrade to firmware V2.6.1.36

Today I got an email telling me an update is available.
I tried the manual update method and that fails with an Internal Sever Error (500 error) in the browser.
Here's my current setup as far as firmware versions are concerened:

Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 12.30.58 PM.png

I noticed that V2.5.1.22 isn't on the actual firmware download page for the RBR40, so I also tried downgrading to 2.5.1.16
to see if that would allow a jump to V2.6.1.36, but that failed with a 500 error as well.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 28

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR40 cannot upgrade to firmware V2.6.1.36

You might try Safari or Opera browser to see if the newer FW can br applied. Is there a Windows PC around? If so, Try this.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Need to press the reset button for 30 seconds then release, then it send to PUT the command and upload the FW.  You could apply either a newer or older FWversion.

If not, I would contact NG support to see if they can help you out more. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 28

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What version of FW is currently loaded on the RBR? 

Message 2 of 28
efouquet
Aspirant

The current version is V2.5.1.22 on the main and V2.5.1.16 on the two sattelites.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What version of FW is currently loaded on the RBR? 

Message 3 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Hmmm, I dont' see v22 listed:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK40.aspx#download

Wonder if NG pulled it for some reason. 

What browser are you using to manually apply FW to the RBB? 

You are unpacking the .zip file after downloading to reveal the .chk or .img file right? 

Message 4 of 28
efouquet
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Hmmm, I dont' see v22 listed:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK40.aspx#download

Wonder if NG pulled it for some reason. 

What browser are you using to manually apply FW to the RBB? 

You are unpacking the .zip file after downloading to reveal the .chk or .img file right? 

Using FF on my MacBook Pro, did the unzip applying the *.img file. I also noticed that "22" wasn't available for download as well. I wish the downgrade would've worked.

Message 5 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try Safari or Opera browser to see if the newer FW can br applied. Is there a Windows PC around? If so, Try this.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Need to press the reset button for 30 seconds then release, then it send to PUT the command and upload the FW.  You could apply either a newer or older FWversion.

Message 6 of 28
efouquet
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Just tried Safari, same issue. The "500 Internal Server" error thing is going to be generated on the server side, so I doubt it's a browser issue anyhoo. My MBP is set up for Bootcamp running Win10, so maybe I'll give the TFTP thing a go. I'll report back after trying that.

Message 7 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if that works...

Message 8 of 28
Poper70584
Aspirant

Has a solution been found for the updates?  would like to apply current security patches that show to be available.  My RBR40 is having same issue.  I'm on the same version v2.5.1.22 set to auto update. The satellites are v2.5.1.16.  When checking for new updates from router update page it still shows no new firmware version available.

Message 9 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

So have you downloaded the FW files from NGs web site and applied them to the RBS first then RBR lastly using a wired PC and web browser? IE11 or Firefox?

Message 10 of 28
efouquet
Aspirant

@Poper70584 wrote:

Has a solution been found for the updates?  would like to apply current security patches that show to be available.  My RBR40 is having same issue.  I'm on the same version v2.5.1.22 set to auto update. The satellites are v2.5.1.16.  When checking for new updates from router update page it still shows no new firmware version available.

Not yet. I still haven't tried the Windows TFTP firmware upgrade workaround that was suggested. I'll try to do that tomorrow and report whether or not that worked out for me.

Message 11 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Try using the RBRs web page first. You can even log into the RBS web page as well. I would do this first. Get the RBS updated first, then the RBR lastly. Be sure unpack the .zip files you download. 

Message 12 of 28
efouquet
Aspirant

I tried that, didn’t work. It was resulting in a server side 500 error.
Message 13 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact NG support about this. Wondering if there is a problem with the 40 series updates. Something they should review.

@Blanca_O 

Message 14 of 28
FuseRules
Tutor

I am having the same issue.  I got an email from NetGear that I need to update.

No Auto Updates available and when trying to manually update it says the firmware is not correct.  Like the previous poster mentioned the V2.5.1.22 isn't listed on the site at all.

Seems like it should have updated to 2.6.1.36 or 2.6.1.38 automatically but it hasn't and I can't upgrade it manually either.
Seem to be stuck here.  Can I downgrade versions safely to a version that will let me upgrade correctly?

I am a month out of warranty so for me to get support would cost $90 to fix a problem NetGear has caused. Looking for any help I can get!

Model NameDevice NameCurrent VersionStatus
RouterRBR40RBR40V2.5.1.22No new firmware version available.
SatelliteRBS20Orbi Satellite-2 LRV2.5.1.16No new firmware version available.
SatelliteRBS20Orbi Satellite-1 OffV2.5.1.16No new firmware version available.
Message 15 of 28
efouquet
Aspirant

@FuseRules wrote:

I am having the same issue.  I got an email from NetGear that I need to update.

No Auto Updates available and when trying to manually update it says the firmware is not correct.  Like the previous poster mentioned the V2.5.1.22 isn't listed on the site at all.

Seems like it should have updated to 2.6.1.36 or 2.6.1.38 automatically but it hasn't and I can't upgrade it manually either.
Seem to be stuck here.  Can I downgrade versions safely to a version that will let me upgrade correctly?

I am a month out of warranty so for me to get support would cost $90 to fix a problem NetGear has caused. Looking for any help I can get!

RouterRBR40RBR40V2.5.1.22No new firmware version available.
SatelliteRBS20Orbi Satellite-2 LRV2.5.1.16No new firmware version available.
SatelliteRBS20Orbi Satellite-1 OffV2.5.1.16No new firmware version available.

I was finally able to use the Windows 10 TFTP method as provided by @FURRYe38 earlier in this thread. Once my main router, RBR40, was upgraded to v2.6.1.36 I was then able to use the main webpage (https://192.168.1.1) to do the manual upgrade of the two sattelites (RBS20) to v2.6.1.38. Even after upgrading the main router, the automated upgrade of the sattelites continued to report "no new firmware". So, I did the Advanced manual upgrade of them. Happily, things are looking okay now for me:

RouterRBR40RBR40V2.6.1.36No new firmware version available.
SatelliteRBS20Orbi Satellite-1V2.6.1.38No new firmware version available.
SatelliteRBS20Orbi Satellite-2V2.6.1.38No new firmware version available.

Message 16 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you were able to get yours updated fully. Thanks for letting us know. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 28
efouquet
Aspirant

Hey @FURRYe38, do you know if there’s a way for us to raise this issue with Netgear support directly? This is their bug and should be addressed directly by them via their management GUI and/or app.
I imagine that a lot of folks who aren’t as knowledgeable will simply go on running outdated and potentially vulnerable firmware if the interface reports “no updates available”.
This is a major flaw, IMHO.
Message 18 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

I would report this to a forum moderator:

@Blanca_O 

I agree that if FW is availalbe and it's not updating correctly using normal methods, they need to look into this. Users shouldn't have to resort to using TFTP to get FW loaded. Thats for recovery mostly. 

Message 19 of 28
FuseRules
Tutor

Thanks @FURRYe38 !

@Blanca_O  Anything you can do to help get someone looking into this issue?

Appreciate anything you can do.

Message 20 of 28
FuseRules
Tutor

@Blanca_O - Is this something Netgear will look into?

Message 21 of 28
FuseRules
Tutor

@Blanca_O - Any news if this is something Netgear will look into?

It seems wrong that I should have to pay for support to fix a problem that Netgear created.  Sounds like some people were automatically upgraded to a Firmware that they shouldn't have been and there is no path of upgrade from that version to what is the current stream of versions.

Message 22 of 28
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi, All, 

The issue has been forwarded already to engineers. We will let you know for any updates.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 23 of 28
FuseRules
Tutor

Thanks!!

Message 24 of 28
FuseRules
Tutor