Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR40 dropping internet

Jestracer
Aspirant

RBR40 dropping internet

I have the ORBI RBR40 with 2
Satellites. It worked perfectly for about 3-4 months and now I have to reboot daily. Firmware is up to date.
When it glitches, I also can’t connect using the app on WiFi (even with the internet down I believe I should be able to log into the router WiFi network). I have to turn off WiFi on my phone and use the remote login feature over my cell signal. Occasionally remote connection won’t let me log in, and I’ll have to do a manual reboot with the power switch.
Message 1 of 11
Mstrbig
Master

Did this start right after a firmware update or changed router, ISP, power outage, etc.?

Have you tried rebooting the devices?

Message 2 of 11
Jestracer
Aspirant

We haven’t had a power outage in months, but that’s a good idea, I’ll restart everything.
I don’t know when the firmware was updated. I got this system in late March or early April for better coverage while working from home. I believe the firmware has updated once since then.
Side note: I had the RBR50 with a single satellite before this and that was rock solid, never had issues. When I got this new system the first one I had to return to the store for similar issues as this one, having to restart all the time. This one started out great.
Message 3 of 11
Jestracer
Aspirant

I tried resetting the internet coming into the house, and the Orbi just crashed again. It’s now happening every night about 7 PM.
I checked the firmware, and it’s on V2.5.1.16

I really think it’s something with the Orbi, since I can’t login to the router on WiFi when it’s acting up.
Message 4 of 11
Mstrbig
Master

Do you have any security installed or Circle running? I find it very odd that every night about 7 PM, it loses internet. The Orbi could only do that if the user configured something or installed protection features.

Message 5 of 11
Jestracer
Aspirant

I have Netgear defender running, and that’s all. I don’t know what circle is.
It doesn’t make sense to me either, but I truly appreciate you taking time to try and help!
Message 6 of 11
Mstrbig
Master

@Jestracer wrote:
I have Netgear defender running, and that’s all. I don’t know what circle is.
It doesn’t make sense to me either, but I truly appreciate you taking time to try and help!

Turn it off and see if it helps.

Message 7 of 11
Jestracer
Aspirant

Good idea. I turned it off, we’ll see what happens.
Message 8 of 11
Jestracer
Aspirant

Defender is off and has been, and the Orbi glitched again last night.
I’m at a loss at this point
Message 9 of 11
Mstrbig
Master

Usually a problem that arises after many days, week, months or years of running perfectly is caused by a hardware or software change or addition, a firmware update or downgrade, an addition or changing of cable, hardware, software, etc.. 

Could you post a complete rundown of what you have, (modem, connection, Orbi, switches, cables), and how they are connected, starting with your ISP modem?.

Message 10 of 11
Jestracer
Aspirant

Good morning. On Saturday night. there was a firmware update that I installed. Last night the Orbi did not malfunction.
I plan to wait and see if it works again tonight, if not I’ll send all the info requested.

Many thanks for your help to date!
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7