Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR40 - frequently lost connection - over payed routers?

alexsos
Aspirant

RBR40 - frequently lost connection - over payed routers?

Hi,

I've been having the same problem for months now. I'm using radio internet access and then use my Orbis inhouse. RBR40 and 1 satellite. The problem is that frequently I'm losing internet connection for usually up to 5 minutes, sometimes longer. I don't have full wifi coverage so I limited the case to LAN connection and it still exists. Below some records from my recent Network Logger.

Today technician from my Internet provider came and changed my Orbis for the test for simplest (and much cheaper) TP-Link router. Five hours have passed without any outages. 

Now, I should be happy but I'm annoyed, especially if it proves that my Orbis were making the whole mess. My satellite is not working but Internet is stable now.

Are there any immanent problems with Orbis, that you are aware of, that can be causing this situation? 

Cheers,

Alex

Jul 09 20:07:18 PM

Connection Outage Detected

Jul 09 17:57:14 PM

Network Up. Outage lasted 4 minutes, 55 seconds.

32 tests failed during the outage.

Jul 09 17:52:19 PM

Jul 09 11:52:09 AM

Network Up. Outage lasted 5 minutes, 6 seconds.

34 tests failed during the outage.

Jul 09 11:47:03 AM

Jul 09 11:42:02 AM

Network Up. Outage lasted 4 minutes, 56 seconds.

Jul 09 11:37:06 AM

Jul 09 10:37:11 AM

Network Up. Outage lasted 5 minutes, 9 seconds.

Jul 09 10:32:02 AM

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Which network logger are you using?

Is it periodically checking for connection to an external resource?

Message 2 of 9
alexsos
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

Which network logger are you using?

Its name - Network Logger Pro, on my iMac

Is it periodically checking for connection to an external resource?

I guess not, I guess it's pinging out from my end. It does such test every 30 seconds or so. Logistics provider was checking logs at their side and didn't record any problems. They even built some extra mast on my roof because assumption was that leaves are causing the problem.

Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@alexsos wrote:

@CrimpOn wrote:

Thanks.  Network Logger Pro: https://networklogger.net/   Item #4 on the FAQ explains that the program makes periodic ICMP (ping) and HTTP requests to report connectivity. https://networklogger.net/support/ (That is how every network logger that I have seen functions.)

Is it correct to assume that you began logging because you noticed interruptions in service?

Is there a distinct pattern to the service interruptions?

In particular, do they correspond to the end of the DHCP lease period that is reported on the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, clicking on the "Connection Status" box?

Message 4 of 9
alexsos
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

@alexsos wrote:

@CrimpOn wrote:

Thanks.  Network Logger Pro: https://networklogger.net/   Item #4 on the FAQ explains that the program makes periodic ICMP (ping) and HTTP requests to report connectivity. https://networklogger.net/support/ (That is how every network logger that I have seen functions.)

Is it correct to assume that you began logging because you noticed interruptions in service?

Is there a distinct pattern to the service interruptions?

In particular, do they correspond to the end of the DHCP lease period that is reported on the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, clicking on the "Connection Status" box?

--------

Yes, I started with Logger because of the problems occurring, and to prove ISP that I'm clean. 

Pattern? Sometime even a couple times an hour, sometimes 2-3 hours w/o interruptions. I even encounter problems at night - regularly Netflix is not working around 10-11 P.M.

No idea if it overlaps with lease period and alike. The basic TP-Link is still on for over 5 hours and no problems recorded. That's something really new to me 🙂

Message 5 of 9
john442
Tutor

Are you running Circle parental controls?   This has cause random internet drops...

Message 6 of 9
alexsos
Aspirant

Circle _ I will check once my test with TP-Linkmis over and then disable 

How about Armor? Same risk?

@john442 wrote:

Are you running Circle parental controls?   This has cause random internet drops...

Message 7 of 9
john442
Tutor

Not sure on Armor, not running it.

I know Circle causes issues... I had tons of drops, valided with Charter that my modem had no disconnects.  Disabled Circle..haven't had a disconnect since....before at least 2-3 a day.  Spent hours debugging it...

I do have an open support case for it....

Message 8 of 9
alexsos
Aspirant

Ok, Circle switched off fully. We shall see if that helps.

Thank you,
Alex

@john442 wrote:

Not sure on Armor, not running it.

I know Circle causes issues... I had tons of drops, valided with Charter that my modem had no disconnects.  Disabled Circle..haven't had a disconnect since....before at least 2-3 a day.  Spent hours debugging it...

I do have an open support case for it....

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7