Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR40 has no ipv6 connection

joaoalm
Follower

RBR40 has no ipv6 connection

Hello,

when i connect directly to my ISP's router I get an ipv6 connection, however when I'm connected to the Orbi wifi ipv6 doens't work. All the suggestions I found online and here on the forum were not helpfull. My computers and smartphones have ipv6 enabled; on the orbi -> advanced -> advanced setup -> ipv6 I have already tried "auto detect" and "auto config". On the latest the router shows an ipv6 adress on wan; but none on lan:

"LAN Setup
Router's IPv6 Address On LAN
Not Available"

I'm running the latest firmware. Does anyone have an idea of what i could do to correct this?

Thanks

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: RBR40 has no ipv6 connection

Tell us more about your ISP.

Many ISP only provide an IPv6 /64 prefix sufficient to drive the ISP router's own LAN, this can not be splitted any further, the ISP does not delegate additional prefixes to you.

If you get an IPv6 range assigned from the ISP, like xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:0:0:0:1 to xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff  - that is a /64 prefix then it's not possible to have another LAN behind your router ... even if the theoretical amount of addresses and networks is huge.

For further subnetting, the ISP must provide at least a /56 or a /48 prefix. Home and SOHO accounts typically get /64 only.

Look here for relative network sizes -> https://www.ripe.net/about-us/press-centre/understanding-ip-addressing

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7