Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR40 losing internet connection

advisor13
Aspirant

RBR40 losing internet connection

I have the RBR40 with one satellite. It had RBR40 Firmware Version 2.6.1.36 installed. Over the past week, I started having issues with internet connectivity. While connected to my Orbi, I would get a notification that there was no internet service.

I ran a Windows troubleshooting diagnostic and it returned that the DNS server was not responding. I then checked the internet connection for my ISP and service was fine. I rebooted the Orbi and regained internet service for a short period, losing internet again. I logged into the settings and turned off MU-MIMO, direct beaming and fast roaming. Rebooted again, same problem. I then manually entered in new DNS server settings to see if that would help, too include IPV6 settings as well. Rebooted and waited a day. Same problem happened again. I then changed my access to direct internet service through my ISP's router and wifi for a full day. I had no problem. I switched back to service through my Orbi and internet service dropped again. 

My last attempt to get service back was to roll back the Firmware to the previous version 2.5.1.16. So far, an hour later, I have not lost internet connection. Anyone else having this problem?

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@advisor13 wrote:

My last attempt to get service back was to roll back the Firmware to the previous version 2.5.1.16. So far, an hour later, I have not lost internet connection. Anyone else having this problem?

There must be a dozen posts on the forum about this issue that began with Daylight Saving Time a week ago.  What you did is one solution that  works.  Reading through the posts will explain how Orbi's Traffic Meter function interacted with the DNS resolution process when Daylight Saving Time is selected and Traffic Meter is on.  Turn either of them off and "no problem."

My guess is that Traffic Meter can be turned on again April 1 and there is hope that Netgear will uncover the coding problem before November.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@advisor13 wrote:

There must be a dozen posts on the forum about this issue that began with Daylight Saving Time a week ago.  What you did is one solution that  works.  Reading through the posts will explain how Orbi's Traffic Meter function interacted with the DNS resolution process when Daylight Saving Time is selected and Traffic Meter is on.  Turn either of them off and "no problem."

My guess is that Traffic Meter can be turned on again April 1 and there is hope that Netgear will uncover the coding problem before November.

Message 2 of 7
Adversary
Aspirant

Get a EERO
Message 3 of 7
Adversary
Aspirant

Same issue I am having. Half devices get online and other half offline. Have to reset and hope for the best. If it doesn't work throwing POS OIT OF HOME AND GETTING A REAL MESH NETWORK SYSTEM.( EERO)
Message 4 of 7
advisor13
Aspirant

So far, rolling back to the previous firmware has helped. I haven't had an issue since then. I will wait to see if they come out with a new firmware update before changing it .
Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Next time, try a factory reset and setup from scratch after loading new FW if you encounter problems. Many problems are solved by a reset. 

Good Luck. 

@advisor13 wrote:
So far, rolling back to the previous firmware has helped. I haven't had an issue since then. I will wait to see if they come out with a new firmware update before changing it .

Message 6 of 7
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Next time, try a factory reset and setup from scratch after loading new FW if you encounter problems. Many problems are solved by a reset. 

Good Luck. 

@advisor13 wrote:

Next time (really) wait to until the firmware has been out for at least a month.  Also beware of users who claim all is well since it works on their machne.  Wonderful

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7