Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR40 needs more (newer) satellites

Orbiwilts
Aspirant

RBR40 needs more (newer) satellites

I have an RBR40 with 2 RBW30 wall satellites but the range and signal strength is poor around the house. These satellites are difficult to get hold of now and very expensive and used, if you do find them.
Can I buy any other more recent orbi satellite model to extend my WiFi range? Are they all compatible? I doubt it..
I have an office in the shed (only a few feet from the house) but the signal is terrible and I need at least one more extension (or a new, better mesh)
Any advice appreciated
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR40 needs more (newer) satellites

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

RBS20, 30, 40v and 50 are only compatible. Also EX7500, 7700 and 8000 will work as well. Orbi AX systems are not compatible with Orbi AC systems.

Message 2 of 5
Orbiwilts
Aspirant

Firmware rbr40 v2.7.3.22, rbw30s v 2.6.22.2
RBR40 connected directly by Ethernet cable to gigaclear wall unit. No modem/router in between.
Home approx 2,200sqft
Rbr40 to upstairs satellite (rbw30) approx 20ft (if a direct line through walls/floors)
Rbr40 To kitchen satellite (rbw30) approx 30-40ft. Signal is fine there but beyond that satellite it is weak. Struggles to get 8ft away through one brick wall and one wooden shed wall.
So I can look for other AC satellites and they should be compatible?
Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

@Orbiwilts wrote:
Firmware rbr40 v2.7.3.22, rbw30s v 2.6.22.2
RBR40 connected directly by Ethernet cable to gigaclear wall unit. No modem/router in between.
Home approx 2,200sqft <For this size of home  these should be enough. 
Rbr40 to upstairs satellite (rbw30) approx 20ft (if a direct line through walls/floors) <Need to move this 30 feet. 20 feet is too close. 
Rbr40 To kitchen satellite (rbw30) approx 30-40ft. Signal is fine there but beyond that satellite it is weak. Struggles to get 8ft away through one brick wall and one wooden shed wall. <Brick will cause problems and inhibit signal travel for any wifi signal.
So I can look for other AC satellites and they should be compatible? Yes. 
What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 4 of 5
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Orbiwilts,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you are looking for another satellite that is compatible with your RBR40 to extend your existing wireless network range.

The RBR40 is compatible with the following Orbi AC Satellites -  RBS10, RBS20, RBW30, RBS40, RBS40V, RBS50, and RBS50Y. 

Best,
Kevin
Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7