Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR40 setup issues

Littlejonboy
Tutor

RBR40 setup issues

I have rbr40 with supplied RSB40. I wanted a 2nd RBS40 satalite to extend system and replace existing old equipment.

New satellite arrived and was still running version 1 of software. Online updates and manual failed.

Tech support sent me file to role back new satalite which worked, I can’t now update salatlite to new versions and incompatible message on manual update.

I rolled back router to version 1 and now can’t update to version 2 as always same message, device not compatible. I need the daisy chain option for satalites.

As it’s stands the product is now useless!

Any help or a fix would be much appreciated
Model: RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Littlejonboy
Tutor

Finally it’s all solved and upto date. The process I ended up taking was as follows

I updated the router first to 1.11.0.20 following the advice from FURRYe38 

once the router came back online i was promted to update from the system itself via the app. This done the router to the latsest version and still skipped the satalaite so i thought i was back to were i started two days earlier.

i then had to manually update the new satalite to version V2.0.0.56 on the advice of DickDuke.

Manual update to 2.1.2.18 then onto the latest via onine update as manual would still return errors.

i would like to thank all those who replied to my plight as even the netgear tech support could not resolve my issue!

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

If you downgraded the router to match the satellite, then upgrade the statellite, you may need to download a intermediate or middle of the road FW version and apply that to the satellite before applying the most current version. Once you get the satellite fully upgraded, do the same thing with the router, use an intermediate FW version then apply the most current version. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/I-can-t-seem-to-be-able-to-upgrade-my-orbi-firmware-from-1-2-0...

Message 2 of 9
Littlejonboy
Tutor

No matter what file i download both satalite or router I always get the message

The firmware is incompatible!
Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version is the router on right now? Satellite? 

Message 4 of 9
Littlejonboy
Tutor

Router is v1.4.0.24
Satalite Original is V2.2.1.210
New satalite now stuck on V.1.11.0.20 this is what their tech support suggested and won’t update to any from next one up to the latest
Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you get the router to 1.11.0.20? If so, can you update the satellite from this point at all? 

You might try using Version 1.12.0.20 on the satelite then router, then if you can get this loaded, try Version 2.1.1.12 on the satellite then router, if you can get this loaded, try v210 lastly. Be sure to use IE11 or FF browsers for this and your PC is wired to the router and satellite for loading the FW files. 

If any of this fails, I would contact NG support and have them help you again. May need an RMA. I know it should be this hard. Smiley Frustrated

@Blanca_O

Message 6 of 9
DickDuke
Apprentice

I had some initial setup grief with my RBR40 too.

An intermediate firmware allowed me to move forward.

Not sure if it will help you too, but maybe the V2.0.0.56 firmware will be the magic version for you. Perhaps if you can get all of your Orbi devices to there, you’ll be able to get everything connected?

Eventually, I did get everything working with latest firmware.

.... at least so far!

Resources:

RBR40 latest firmware rBR40 V2.2.1.210

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK40/RBR40-V2.2.1.210.zip

RBR40 intermediate firmware rbr40 v2.0.0.56 (required to apply the previous update)

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK40/RBR40-V2.0.0.56.zip

Message 7 of 9
Littlejonboy
Tutor

Finally it’s all solved and upto date. The process I ended up taking was as follows

once the router came back online i was promted to update from the system itself via the app. This done the router to the latsest version and still skipped the satalaite so i thought i was back to were i started two days earlier.

i then had to manually update the new satalite to version V2.0.0.56 on the advice of DickDuke.

Manual update to 2.1.2.18 then onto the latest via onine update as manual would still return errors.

i would like to thank all those who replied to my plight as even the netgear tech support could not resolve my issue!

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. You should be good now. Do a save configuration to file after you have set up everything on the router. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Littlejonboy wrote:

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7