Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR40 wifi drop

Raykcy
Aspirant

RBR40 wifi drop

I bought and setup the RBR40 router few days ago and was working perfectly. However, wifi connection keep dropping every few minutes in the past 2 hours which is 12 am in Hong Kong.

The problem is that the wifi signal and internet did not drop while connections between router and devices (laptop, smartphone, iPad) dropped. I could just simply click on the internet logo of Windows 10 and reconnect to my router manually right after the drop happened and I would have internet immediately (same for smartphone and iPad).

I have done some reserach in this forum as well as google. I tried the following steps but they did not help:

-Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

-Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

-Factory Reset the router (The connection drop happened few times during the setup period while obri forces me to change the login password in 192.168.1.1 as wel)

-Rebooting by unplug for 5 minutes and turn off the power button on the router.

What FW is currently loaded? V2.3.1.58
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? HUAWEI HG8040H
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?  Router, haven't setup any satellite yet

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 1000

What channels are you using? Auto?  I am manually set to 1 for 2.4ghz and 48 for 5ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? 10 different networks by me.
What WPA security modes are you using? WPA2-PSK [AES]

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

So do wired connections thru the Orbi to the modem also get dropped? 

Sounds like a problem between the Orbi and this ONT. 

You might power OFF the ONT for 30 seconds, when you do this, do a factory reset on the RBR. Then Power ON the ONT. After the RBR is online, walk thru the setup wizard with a wired PC and web browser. Setup from scratch and test wired connections first. Then wireless. Take not of any drops during this time frame. 

Are there many other wifi neighbors on channel 1? 

Might try the Orbi at a different location, friend, nieghbor or family to see if the problem follows or not. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

So do wired connections thru the Orbi to the modem also get dropped? 

Sounds like a problem between the Orbi and this ONT. 

You might power OFF the ONT for 30 seconds, when you do this, do a factory reset on the RBR. Then Power ON the ONT. After the RBR is online, walk thru the setup wizard with a wired PC and web browser. Setup from scratch and test wired connections first. Then wireless. Take not of any drops during this time frame. 

Are there many other wifi neighbors on channel 1? 

Might try the Orbi at a different location, friend, nieghbor or family to see if the problem follows or not. 

Message 2 of 4
Raykcy
Aspirant

Thank you for leading me to think differently! I upluged both the router and ONT for the night. Wifi signal magically restored to normal after I turned them back on. I was so convinced by myself that the problem came from the router and the ONT had nothing to do with it. Thank you so much again!

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you seem to find the fix. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Do a backup of the Orbi configuration to file for safe keeping. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7