Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR40 will not update

GCouturier
Aspirant

RBR40 will not update

Seems like Netgear doesnt want to recognize this device fully as a legetimate device. I cant select it under the "model" field in this "Start a new Discussion" page, and it's also not directly listed under their Orbi support page (where all the pictures are).

On to my problem: I cannot update this unit either automatically or manually. My RBR40 is stuck at v1.8.0.4... while my RBW30 updated fine to 2.2.1.204. When I download RBR40-V2.2.1.210.IMG (as found under the RBK40 or RBS40 pages because again.. there is no RBR40 page) and then try to apply it (again... manually) it simply tells me that "This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product."

So.. is this unit toast? Should I have not purchased from WalMart? Does Netgear even (actually) support this? The unit is working fine right now but I wanted the latest security updates...etc.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Since your router unit is on a first release version of FW, you need to update using a middle released FW then upgrade to v210. I ran into this issue earlier this year with my friends 50 series I set up for him. I could not upgrade the router to most currect for some reason. I loaded a middle version, something in between the first released FW and the most current. That worked. Once the router was upgraded to this middle dated version, then the most current version of FW took and the router installed it. 

Try loading Version 1.12.0.20 or Version 2.1.1.12 on to the router:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK40.aspx#download

If you can get these to load, then update to v.210. 

NOTE:

If you update to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Since your router unit is on a first release version of FW, you need to update using a middle released FW then upgrade to v210. I ran into this issue earlier this year with my friends 50 series I set up for him. I could not upgrade the router to most currect for some reason. I loaded a middle version, something in between the first released FW and the most current. That worked. Once the router was upgraded to this middle dated version, then the most current version of FW took and the router installed it. 

Try loading Version 1.12.0.20 or Version 2.1.1.12 on to the router:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK40.aspx#download

If you can get these to load, then update to v.210. 

NOTE:

If you update to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

Message 2 of 6
MmmNetBeer
Initiate

I too faced such challenges. After trying to numerous ways to manually update RBR40 from 1.9.x from my pc and Mac, I successfully did a mid term manual upgrade to 2.0.0.56 (I think) from my iPhone and it actually took it. I then was able to auto upgrade to 2.2.x. Go figure.
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got yours working. Enjoy. 

@MmmNetBeer wrote:
I too faced such challenges. After trying to numerous ways to manually update RBR40 from 1.9.x from my pc and Mac, I successfully did a mid term manual upgrade to 2.0.0.56 (I think) from my iPhone and it actually took it. I then was able to auto upgrade to 2.2.x. Go figure.

Message 4 of 6
GCouturier
Aspirant

Sorry it took so long to get back.. but yes it worked. I went to 1.12.0.20 first. After it auto rebooted.. I waited for maybe 5 minutes and had a difficult time reestablishing my link back into it.. ti would connect but then I wouldnt see the sattelite or whatever.. so... about 2 more minutes and I gave up waiting.. I powered the Orbi off manually and rebooted it. after 5 minutes it was stable on that last 1.x code and I could see the sattelite. I saw it said the 2.2.1.210 was the latest so I used the "update all" button. it downloaded it.. applied it and again within 5 min I was fully updated. As far as daisy chaining is concerned.. I only have 1 sattelite so I dont think it makes much difference right now. but thanks.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Just make sure Daisy chain is check marked. It's operation is not working on this version of FW. 

Enjoy. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7