Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR40 with 3 RBS20 and 1 RBW30 2,4ghz devices connection issues

BANsOnLn
Guide

RBR40 with 3 RBS20 and 1 RBW30 2,4ghz devices connection issues

I have a 4500sq (3 floors) house built in 1998. I have had issues with my Asus router ever since we moved in with connectivty issues throughout the entire house. I purchased the Netgear Orbi Mesh system in hopes that I could get my wifi issues under control. It seems to be hit or miss. Most of the time all my 5Ghz devices are ok for the most part but my 2.4Ghz devices will work for a couple hours and then I lose connectivity. I will reboot a device (Wifi Camera, Sense energy montor, shark vacuum, etc) and it will work for a little bit and then stop working.  There are times with my iPhone XS MAX will have full bars connected to wifi and it won't even return a page in safari. Then I will turn off wifi on the phone and back on and then it works. I am at a loss as to what I should do to troubleshoot this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 24
ekhalil
Master

Looks that you have radio disturbance on the 2.4 gHz band. Which 2.4 GHz channel are you using in Orbi?

Please make a wifi scan and check which 2.4 GHz channels are being used and try to select a fix channel that is least used by your surrounding.

Message 2 of 24
BANsOnLn
Guide

It is set to channel 10. What is the app do you recommend I use for wifi scan? 

Message 3 of 24
BANsOnLn
Guide

I changed it to channel 8. Do I have to reset all my 2.4Ghz devices again or will they auto connect back? 

Message 4 of 24
ekhalil
Master

@BANsOnLn wrote:

I changed it to channel 8. Do I have to reset all my 2.4Ghz devices again or will they auto connect back? 

The only non-overlapping 2.4 GHz channels are 1, 6 and 11, and those are usually the best channels to choose unless others are using them and you are receiving those signals with high power.

I use the built-in wifi scanner in my Macbook. In my iPhone I use the Apple Airport management app to do the scanning. There are many other apps for Windows as well as for Android and iOS.

Start with one of the channels 1, 6 and 11.

Devices that are already attached to Orbi should automatically change channels,  so normally you should not need to reboot the devices.

Message 5 of 24
Fl1ntstone
Apprentice

You can also use 'WiFi Sweetspots' on IOS devices to measure WiFi band connectivity 🙂

CheerZ

Message 6 of 24
BANsOnLn
Guide

What really irritates me is that after I set it to channel 1, it worked great for a few hours and then they started losing connection again. My WiFi cameras are the biggest issue...
Message 7 of 24
ekhalil
Master

What settings do you have for 20/40 MHz coexistence and Beamforming? You can find these settings in the web GUI under Advanced Wireless Settings.
Message 8 of 24
BANsOnLn
Guide

Both are enabled.

Message 9 of 24
ekhalil
Master

@BANsOnLn wrote:

Both are enabled.

Please try disabling Beamforming. 

What wired devices do you have connected to Orbi?

Message 10 of 24
BANsOnLn
Guide

Going to try disabling Beamforming. I have 3 xboxes wired, MacBook Pro, Mac mini and a NAS Drive. What really frustrates me is that they will connect and work for a few mins and then start dropping connections. This is mainly my WiFi cameras.
Message 11 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 12 of 24
BANsOnLn
Guide

I am returning these and am going to give the RBK53 a try. No matter what I do with the settings my wifi cameras will work for a short time and then drop connections. We can't use wifi calling at all as the connection is so bad. If the RBK53 does not work then I will give Linksys Velop a try.

Message 13 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Please try some of the suggestions as well as mentioned. 

Please also give feedback to the questions presented so we can get an better idea of whats going on. 

@BANsOnLn wrote:

I am returning these and am going to give the RBK53 a try. No matter what I do with the settings my wifi cameras will work for a short time and then drop connections. We can't use wifi calling at all as the connection is so bad. If the RBK53 does not work then I will give Linksys Velop a try.

Message 14 of 24
BANsOnLn
Guide

I appreciate all the advice given on this post and I can assure you I have tried them all. Nothing seems to be consisent. Just when I think I have it working, an hour later it stops and then I am back to square one. 

Message 15 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

We still know know about the questions presented. 

It's possible you have a faulty system as well. See if the 50 series systems works better. Please keep the distance of the RBR and RBS in mind. 

Good Luck. 

Message 16 of 24
BANsOnLn
Guide

as far as distance goes, if the console is showing a "good" connection between the main and the satellites is that ok? 

Message 17 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 

What channels are you using? Auto? 
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 18 of 24
BANsOnLn
Guide

all of the routers have been between 20 and 40 feet away for the most part. they all say good as far as connection status. I live in a neighborhood and all my neighbors have wifi. I have tried every channel and configuration with the router I can think of and some work better then others but never consistent. again, my cameras will connect after a reboot and work for about an hour and then I start losing connection, sometimes they come back and other times I have to reboot router again. my iphones have had terrible wifi calling and even lose connection to wifi itself at only 10 feet away from a satelite. my house was built in 98 and is about 5000sqft. the RBK53 is coming in today so we will see how that goes. if not I guess my next solution is to try Linksys Velop and then Amplifi. My old Asus RT5300 worked ok, I just didn't get enough coverage thorought the house and the router was around 5+ years old and so I thought the best solution was to upgrade to mesh. I have a lot of wifi devices and I plan on running some wires to all the rooms for xboxes and rokus. We have 8 kids with 6 living with us full time and 1 olderly parent. We have a total of 8 rokus with 2 of the them being wired. We also have 5 xboxes with 2 of them being wired. I also have 10 wifi cameras and an assortment of other wifi enabled devices not including all our iPhones, iPads and laptops. If I can get all the rokus and xboxes on wired I am sure that will help some.

Message 19 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

The RBS that are 20 feet need to be moved out to 30 feet. 20 feet is too close. 

Sounds like you have some wifi neighbors near by. You might also reduce the power output on the RBR radio from 100% to say 50% and give this setting a try. This helps reduce the over all wifi foot print and help to limit any interferences from your neighbors wifi as well. 

Let us know if your experiences change when you get the 50 series Orbi online. 

Message 20 of 24
BANsOnLn
Guide

So far the 50 series is working much better. I have only 1 issue left and that is the DVR not connecting to all my cameras but they are all online and I can access them through the app. Everything else is also working great. I have disabled Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence and Enable Daisy-Chain Topology and enabled Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices. I have set 2.4GHz to channel 6. 

Message 21 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Nice. Glad the 50 series is doing better for you. Be sure to keep the RBS and RBR 30 feet to start for distance.

Enjoy.

Message 22 of 24
BANsOnLn
Guide

Well... I spoke too soon. As soon as kids started to get online everything started to go south. When I went to check my Rokus, XBOXs, Laptops and mobile devices they were all connected to 2.4G! I ended up following this process and now I am good. I think there were too many devices on 2.4G and it was causing everything to crash. Now all my cameras are smooth and my 5G devices are all on 5G and running great.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/...

Message 23 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

You could have turned down the wifi power on the 2.4Ghz radio and see if that would have helped before sepearating the SSID. Thats not supported by NG so if something happens. You'll need to revert back to default configruation. 

Enjoy. 

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7