Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR40 with 4 RBS20 and Daisy Chaning. Need to reboot a single RBS20 remotely

OldFot
Follower

RBR40 with 4 RBS20 and Daisy Chaning. Need to reboot a single RBS20 remotely

I have an RBR40 with 4 RBS40 Satellites at a remote location supporting Security Cameras. When I remotely reboot the system one of the Satellites does not connect to the nearest Satellite, but connects to a more distant satellite that results in a poor backhaul condition. If I were at the site fixing the problem would be a simple unplug replug of the Satellite with the poor backhaul. However, there is no way to remotely power cycle a single satellite. I can access the satellite remotely via port 80 and port forwarding, but there is no way to reboot or sync available. Please improve the capabilities of the Orbi System by implementing a way to remotely reboot a Satellite.

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR40 with 4 RBS20 and Daisy Chaning. Need to reboot a single RBS20 remotely

@OldFot wrote:

Please improve the capabilities of the Orbi System by implementing a way to remotely reboot a Satellite.

As far as I am aware, no Netgear engineers regularly look at the community forums. (Perhaps they are expected to be completing assigned tasks?)  There is a forum specifically for product suggestions:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home 

What some users have done is install a "smart plug" to control the electrical outlet the satellite is connected to.  I seem to recall asking, "but won't turning off the power kill the WiFi?"  Apparently, there are various kinds of smart plugs.  Some are controlled by phone lines.  Or, they install a cheap WiFi extender off of another Orbi and give it the extender a different SSID so that the smart plug never connected to the satellite it is controlling the power to.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

I use these to power OFF remote RBS:

https://www.synaccess-net.com

@OldFot wrote:

I have an RBR40 with 4 RBS40 Satellites at a remote location supporting Security Cameras. When I remotely reboot the system one of the Satellites does not connect to the nearest Satellite, but connects to a more distant satellite that results in a poor backhaul condition. If I were at the site fixing the problem would be a simple unplug replug of the Satellite with the poor backhaul. However, there is no way to remotely power cycle a single satellite. I can access the satellite remotely via port 80 and port forwarding, but there is no way to reboot or sync available. Please improve the capabilities of the Orbi System by implementing a way to remotely reboot a Satellite.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7