Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR40 with RBW30 - Options to expand system instead of replacing it?

Srb22
Tutor

RBR40 with RBW30 - Options to expand system instead of replacing it?

Hi,

Having expanded our house I now find dead zones and need additional satellites to cover these areas.  I also added. google camera and spotlight outdoors which is out of wifi range.  What I want to do is add either A) 2 satellites to fill a dead zone upstairs plus extend range into the yard, or B) add 1 satellite and find a compatible outdoor extender that would allow my Google camera to get wifi signal.  Question is whether I can do either using the equipment I already own and add components (and which ones that will be compatible), or am I forced to turf the current system and get a new one?  The equipment I presently have is an Orbi router RBR40 with one Orbi wall plug satellite RBW30.  

thanks for any insight. 

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: RBR40 with RBW30 - Options to expand system instead of replacing it?

The AC units were much more compatible than the newer AX. 

Your RBR40 system will work will all those listed even version 1 and 2 devices. 

so not much to worry about there. The only issue sometimes seen is the outdoor version has an extender mode and an Orbi mode. by default it should come in orbi mode but you occasionally see it where someone has to switch it. Easy to do. 

In terms of adding them, I usually just tell people to do their best to centrally locate their router. Daisy chain can cause slow downs and is only recommended for 2 satellites. 

Daisy chain: router---->satellite----->satellite

Star:  satellite<------router------>satellite. 

You can daisy chain more but you start seeing slow downs/latency issues. 

Amount of satellites? 

The AC units officially support up to 6 but i've seen more. So you're 3x satellites should be fine. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000062035/How-many-satellites-can-you-add-to-an-Orbi-WiFi-System

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You can add the following: 

RBS20, RBW30, RBS40, RBS40V (voice), RBS50, RBS50Y (outdoor)

Quite a few options for what you'd like to add. 

I've also seen people use standard satellites and use weatherproof enclosures (that have some venting to prevent overheating in summer)

Message 2 of 6
Srb22
Tutor

Thanks for this - one follow-up:  Assuming I can source 1 additional RBW30 (or a satellite of any kind) and also 1 RBS50Y unit:

- Do I need to be cautious of interoperability with what is available on the market today with my existing equipment vintage?  And,

- Are there any gotchas I need to be aware of adding these 2 devices to my system that was originally just the router and wall plug satellite? 

I haven't found anything definitive in terms of the max number of satellites / extenders I can add on this pair, or what compatibility limitations there are - any insight you have is appreciate so I dont source something I cannot make work

Much appreciated!

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

The AC units were much more compatible than the newer AX. 

Your RBR40 system will work will all those listed even version 1 and 2 devices. 

so not much to worry about there. The only issue sometimes seen is the outdoor version has an extender mode and an Orbi mode. by default it should come in orbi mode but you occasionally see it where someone has to switch it. Easy to do. 

In terms of adding them, I usually just tell people to do their best to centrally locate their router. Daisy chain can cause slow downs and is only recommended for 2 satellites. 

Daisy chain: router---->satellite----->satellite

Star:  satellite<------router------>satellite. 

You can daisy chain more but you start seeing slow downs/latency issues. 

Amount of satellites? 

The AC units officially support up to 6 but i've seen more. So you're 3x satellites should be fine. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000062035/How-many-satellites-can-you-add-to-an-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 4 of 6
Srb22
Tutor

Amazing - thanks for this.  It saved me countless hours of digging and I really appreciate it.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Glad to help!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7