Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR40

Snark66
Tutor

RBR40

My ORBI has dropped both my satellite extenders around the time of the last firmware update.  How can I reconnect?  My app says they are "unknown" so it evidently knows they are there.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure the distance between the router and satellite is about 30 feet starting. Depending upon building materials.

Check the user manual for top LED meanings. Pink is usually a problem of the router not getting internet from your ISP service/modem.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 22

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Were the satellites updates as well when the ruoter was updated? Satellites need to be at same version.

Try a reset on one satellite, press in the reset button in back until the top led changes to amber. Then let go. Wait for the top led to slowly pulse WHITE, then re-add the satellite to the router.

Message 2 of 22
Snark66
Tutor

Sounds good, what if it's pulsing Amber?

Message 3 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Means you reached the begin factory reset state.

Message 4 of 22
Snark66
Tutor

Sorry for sounding so dumb, but exactly what does this mean, what do I do now, and where do you find all this information?  No wonder you're a master. NAMASTE.

Message 5 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Press in the reset button in back until the top led changes to amber. Then let go. Wait for the top led to slowly pulse WHITE, then re-add the satellite to the router. Press the Sync button on the router first. Then press the Sync button on the satellite. Wait for the top led to go BLUE. Blue means its connected to the router successfully and has a good connection.

Message 6 of 22
Snark66
Tutor

You really don't realise how far out of my comfort zone i am with this..... Are you now talking about the master unit?  Should I "reset" the second slave first? And PLEASE, where can I find out some of this sh1t for myself?

Message 7 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Just reset 1 of the satellites and re-add it to see if it will reconnect.

You can look at the user manual starting on page 131:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf

Message 8 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 9 of 22
Snark66
Tutor

Still working on it.  Thankyou.  I"m reading your reference works. I will respond when something happens

Message 10 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 22
Snark66
Tutor

It sort of worked at first, I got one satellite synched, but this morning the main unit was flashing magenta.  I checked all the connections and had to repeat the synch routine about four times to get both satellites synched.  It's now working and I"ve saved the manual on my computer.  Thanks for your assistance!

Message 12 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure the distance between the router and satellite is about 30 feet starting. Depending upon building materials.

Check the user manual for top LED meanings. Pink is usually a problem of the router not getting internet from your ISP service/modem.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 22
Snark66
Tutor

They are certainly within the 30' distsance.  I pushed all the wires into all the sockets at both ends so it is possible that one of them was making a poor contact.  It doesn't explain why it drops off the satellites though.

Message 14 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

How close are they to the router, they can't be too close either. The router alone can cover up to about 30 feet or a bit more depending upong building materials. Whats the distances between each satellite.

How big is your home? SqFt?

You might try this, disable one or both satellites, and see if you notice anything different. Then enable just 1 satellite and see what happens...

Message 15 of 22
Snark66
Tutor

The footprint on the ground id about 1000 square feet with a further 500 on the first floor.  The main ORBI is in the front of the house with a satellite ~ 18' away on the first floor seperated by stud walls which tranmitts via a corridor and possibly a double skinn brick wall as well to the rearmost rooms and a second on the floor above, blanked by  plasterboard ceiling and a wooden, carpeted floor.  When they are all talking to each other I get full cover and if I open the french doors, even into the patio at the rear of the house so it's not a power problem.

When resetting the ORBI this morning, it kept defaulting to my next door neighbour's wireless router on another  provider network. Quite a pain as my own computer is directly wired to the modem.  Such fun, I don't think.

Message 16 of 22
Snark66
Tutor

I can't edit the previous post, but I just thought, disabling the one on the first floor  would mean no cover to the basck of the house, but it is immediately below the rear bedroom upstairs, so diabling the upstairs satellite might have no noticeable effect.....

Message 17 of 22
Snark66
Tutor

I will try that if it happens again.

Message 18 of 22
Snark66
Tutor

BTW when trying to synch the two satellites, I had to bring them to within 3' of the ORBI itself before they could be recognised...

Message 19 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Hmm, I can sync my 1 satellite at 40 feet. Are you sure your giving enough time after you press the sync button on the router and satellite. I'd give about 5 minutes for the top LED to turn on BLUE.

One last resort, since you upgraded, you might need a full ERASE on the router and satellites the set up from scratch.

I presume you were able to get a PC connected and setup the router using a PC instead of the mobile app?

Message 20 of 22
Snark66
Tutor

I tried synching them in situ but they just went back to magneta every time.  Even bringing them into the room with the ORBI wasn't enough.  I got them to within 3'before they actualy synched.  I replaced them in their normal positions and they are working well.  My iMac is wired directly to my modem so I have internet access that way.  With the Orbi's misbehaving, the iPad was effectively useless.  Following the instructions in the handbook and your tips worked though!

Message 21 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. I think you'll be fine for now. Run it and see if there are any other issues.

If something comes up, try a Full ERASE on the router and setellites and set up from scratch.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7