Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 - 2.7.2.104 firmware - Issues?

BillYoung
Luminary

RBR50 - 2.7.2.104 firmware - Issues?

To whom it may concern, @FURRYe38:

After upgrading my firmware to 2.7.2.104, I have been having issues.  Devices successfully connect to the Orbi, but have no internet.  If I reboot the Orbi and satellite, the devices may or may not successfully connect to the Orbi and have internet access.

Should I consider dropping the firmware back to 2.5.1.16 to potentially eliminate these issues?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 126

Accepted Solutions
BillYoung
Luminary

Hi @FURRYe38:

So far so good (very short timeframe).  Also, changed the NTP server from Netgear's to time.nist.gov.  If I continue to have connectivity issues, I'll do the factory reset and re-setup from scratch.  Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 126

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you power OFF the ISP modem and RBR after the FW update? 

How about a factory reset as last resort before going back? 

Message 2 of 126
Jroach
Luminary

Furrye38,

Hello again:).

Similar problem to OP.  Updated firmware (.104) a few days ago and have had issues with wired or wireless getting to the internet.  Logs don't provide any clues.  This am, rebooted modem and no change.  rebooted orbi and all is well (for now).

Any tools or suggestions an what to capture in order to determine the root cause?  I hate just rebooting to fix a problem.

Message 3 of 126
BillYoung
Luminary

Hi @FURRYe38:

To answer your questions:

Did you power OFF the ISP modem and RBR after the FW update?  No. 

How about a factory reset as last resort before going back?  Would a factory reset really help if the firmware is the issue?  I'll do it if you truly believe it would help.

Message 4 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Please continue to post over in your original post:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBK50/td-p/2070845/jump-to/first-unread-message

Thank you. 

@Jroach wrote:

Furrye38,

Hello again:).

Similar problem to OP.  Updated firmware (.104) a few days ago and have had issues with wired or wireless getting to the internet.  Logs don't provide any clues.  This am, rebooted modem and no change.  rebooted orbi and all is well (for now).

Any tools or suggestions an what to capture in order to determine the root cause?  I hate just rebooting to fix a problem.

Message 5 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets try the power OFF of the modem and RBR for 1 minute first then back ON. 

@BillYoung wrote:

Hi @FURRYe38:

To answer your questions:

Did you power OFF the ISP modem and RBR after the FW update?  No. 

How about a factory reset as last resort before going back?  Would a factory reset really help if the firmware is the issue?  I'll do it if you truly believe it would help.

Message 6 of 126

Same exact issue after upgrading. At first it was just slow speed on my phone but then after that issue basically all devices in my home keep reporting no internet or internet unavailable. The only thing that seemed to alleviate the issue was putting my devices on static IP's with the gateway as DNS1 and a setting up google as DNS2. This fixed the issue but this never happened before the upgrade.

I'm going to reset it today and try again.

Message 7 of 126
BillYoung
Luminary

Hi @FURRYe38:

Done.  Everything reconnected to the Orbi and the internet after the shutdown and reboot.  Is this firmware version stable enough to continue to be used?  I don't want to have to keep rebooting the Orbi to resolve connectivity issues.

Message 8 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Also check your NTP settings. Seeing more posts regarding this since the time change this passed weekend. Try changing from NG server to time.nist.gov or something else and test. 

Let us know how the reset goes. Someome posted the reset helped them. 

@CaptainPing wrote:

Same exact issue after upgrading. At first it was just slow speed on my phone but then after that issue basically all devices in my home keep reporting no internet or internet unavailable. The only thing that seemed to alleviate the issue was putting my devices on static IP's with the gateway as DNS1 and a setting up google as DNS2. This fixed the issue but this never happened before the upgrade.

Message 9 of 126
vajim
Master

@CaptainPing wrote:

Thanks

Let us know how your reset works.

Message 10 of 126

Why didn't I think of that! Freaking daylight savings, curse you! I'll check that setting a in a minute.

Message 11 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

I had to factory reset mine as in the process of helping to find out if Circle was supported on the RBR50 in recent versions of FW, which it is, v102. So mines been reset and setup from scratch. It's been online and running well with my RBS20 for almost a month until we had a power bump this morning so that counter is reset. 

I would do a full on reset and setup from scratch at some point if the power cycle doesn't work to solve this for you.

Also check out your NTP settings, change from NGs to something else. Try time.nist.gov. 

@BillYoung wrote:

Hi @FURRYe38:

Done.  Everything reconnected to the Orbi and the internet after the shutdown and reboot.  Is this firmware version stable enough to continue to be used?  I don't want to have to keep rebooting the Orbi to resolve connectivity issues.

Message 12 of 126

I set my NTP server to time.nrc.ca, I'm Canada and that's the one the have listed on canada.ca https://nrc.canada.ca/en/certifications-evaluations-standards/canadas-official-time/network-time-pro....

I'll leave it like that for an hour and reply back.

Message 13 of 126

Nope that made it worse, now none of my devices can connect back > : (

Message 14 of 126
BillYoung
Luminary

Hi @FURRYe38:

So far so good (very short timeframe).  Also, changed the NTP server from Netgear's to time.nist.gov.  If I continue to have connectivity issues, I'll do the factory reset and re-setup from scratch.  Thanks for your help.

Message 15 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Wow, odd that changing NTP is making it worse. Try time.nist.gov and see.

Has a reset and setup from scratch been performed yet. 

@CaptainPing wrote:

Nope that made it worse, now none of my devices can connect back > : (

Message 16 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Seems like since the time change, more posts seeing regarding DNS and other stuff. 

Keep us posted. 

@BillYoung wrote:

Hi @FURRYe38:

Message 17 of 126
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ok. Seems like since the time change, more posts seeing regarding DNS and other stuff. 

Keep us posted. 

@BillYoung wrote:

Hi @FURRYe38:

Hey @FURRYe38 

I think the firmware developers have you in mind.  The NTP area confusion now adds more questions to the list you can ask to someone who needs help with a firmware update.

Message 18 of 126

I performed a reset but was still noticing it, slow speed, no internet messages, and connectivity issues with discord. I did a factory reset on the modem but noticed before I did it that it also has time settings. To change that I had to log in to the modem, unbridge it, set it to time.nrc.ca and bridge it again. Its been about 10 minutes so far and everything seems to be working.

At this point I'm just trying out different things to see what sticks. I'll reply back in a couple hours or so.

Message 19 of 126

Its the firmware...I couldn't handle the constant disconnects and no internet messages but now that I'm back on the previous firmware all of the issues are gone now. So I'll be staying on this firmware and next time I upgrade, I'll check the forums first.

Message 20 of 126
Jroach
Luminary

CaptainPing,

Are you rolling back to 2.5.1.16 or something else?  I might want to do the same.

Message 21 of 126
kinwolf
Guide

@CaptainPingYou went back to which version?  I think I was on 2.5.something before the upgrade but I'm not sure.  I've reverted to 2.6.1.40 right now but it failed so I had to do a complete reset(friggin pita) and now I'm waiting to see if 2.6.1.40 has the problem or not.

Message 22 of 126
mlembeck
Initiate

Since i first purchased this router and satellites, it has been nothing but trouble. Every firmware update comes out half baked and causes me to lose hours of troubleshooting time. Same thing with .104. Internet is dropped within 5 minutes of a reboot. Zoom certificates aren't trusted. Common websites say their certificates are bad. Back to 2.6.1.40. And starting to look for a new wifi system...not from netgear.

Message 23 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully this will work for you. 

@BillYoung wrote:

Hi @FURRYe38:

Message 24 of 126

V2.6.1.40, I did it at 6:30 est and so far so good. The issue was primarily happening on wifi devices, but since then Discord, Hearthstone, and my apps haven't had any spinning wheels or disconnect errors. I did a factory reset first and then rolled it back.

I know you can access the router via command line but I don't even know if there would be a log for issues likes this. I have no idea what was going on with the packets between my wifi devices and the router. Thank god you can roll back the firmware to an old one, a lot of electronic devices don't let you roll back without a dumb 30/30/30 procedure.

Personally I think the hardware in the Orbi is great but this is my first issue with the firmware.

I lost 5 hearthstone games because of this...who's going to get my gold stars back? : P

Message 25 of 126
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7