Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 - 2.7.2.104 firmware - Issues?

FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can update to v104. It works. Just don't enable Traffic meter is all.

@BAM2019 wrote:

So don't update to the latest ORBI update, correct?  Even with adjusting the Meter and Daylight savings date as we discussed the new update i snot ok.

Message 51 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

It working for others with TM disabled:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-intermittent-DNS-lookup-issues/m-p/2073380/highlight/tru...

@BAM2019 wrote:

So don't update to the latest ORBI update, correct?  Even with adjusting the Meter and Daylight savings date as we discussed the new update i snot ok.

Message 52 of 126
marcdcmb
Tutor

marcpilot@gmail.com

@BAM2019 wrote:

Updated to ORBI firmware 2.7.2.104 and internet dropped several times daily.  Before firmware update no problems.  Using Spectrum Business 1Gig internet. I rolled back to ORBI firmware V2.6.1.40 and so far no issues. 

Same story here. Foolishly updated to 2.7.2.104 hoping to find a decent replacement for selectively blocking specific devices as needed now that Circle is out of the picture.

Immediately started encountering internet connection issues (well.. after a few hours). I'm so happy I stumbled upon these threads indicating it was some kind of firmware **bleep**-up rather than my fiber connection or modem failing on me.

Decided it wasn't my job to troubleshoot Netgear's firmware for them and/or muck about with factory resets (which is NOT a reasonable ask for any but Netgear's own QA and Engineering staff IMHO) and rolled back to 2.6.1.40.

With any luck the demon has been excised. 

Netgear, see you for release 2.8.x.x. Hopefully you'll have figured it out by then.

Message 53 of 126
vajim
Master

Re: marcpilot@gmail.com

@marcdcmb wrote:

@BAM2019 wrote:

Updated to ORBI firmware 2.7.2.104 and internet dropped several times daily.  Before firmware update no problems.  Using Spectrum Business 1Gig internet. I rolled back to ORBI firmware V2.6.1.40 and so far no issues. 

Same story here. Foolishly updated to 2.7.2.104 hoping to find a decent replacement for selectively blocking specific devices as needed now that Circle is out of the picture.

Immediately started encountering internet connection issues (well.. after a few hours). I'm so happy I stumbled upon these threads indicating it was some kind of firmware **bleep**-up rather than my fiber connection or modem failing on me.

Decided it wasn't my job to troubleshoot Netgear's firmware for them and/or muck about with factory resets (which is NOT a reasonable ask for any but Netgear's own QA and Engineering staff IMHO) and rolled back to 2.6.1.40.

Netgear, see you for release 2.8.x.x. Hopefully you'll have figured it out by then.

wise decision   I love the part about doing netgears job.  Lol.  

Message 54 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

This appears related to the recent DNS/NTP issue. The router appears to lose the ability to relay DNS requests. No need to roll back. 

To confirm, try to set the DNS on your laptop or phone to something other than the router.

Here's a link to one of many other threads on this topic:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-DNS-and-DHCP-and-NTP-Broken-Short-Term-Fix-Options/m-p/20...

Try a factory reset and setup from scratch with v104. Do not use Traffic Meter after setting up the RBR. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-Orbi-RBR50-Router-Firmware-Version-V2-7-2-104-Released/m-p...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-intermittent-DNS-lookup-issues/m-p/2071397/highlight/tru...

Circle is still being used for parental controls:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/Missing-parental-controls-on-firmwar...

@marcdcmb 

@marcdcmb wrote:

@BAM2019 wrote:

Message 55 of 126
marcdcmb
Tutor

marcpilot@gmail.com

@FURRYe38 wrote:

This appears related to the recent DNS/NTP issue. The router appears to lose the ability to relay DNS requests. No need to roll back. 

To confirm, try to set the DNS on your laptop or phone to something other than the router.

Thank you @FURRYe38, I did review about 4 separate threads on the issue. It seems that the solution was still uncertain but involved any or all of: Factory Reset, Disable daylight savings time, Roll back firmware, and Disable Traffic meter.

Try a factory reset and setup from scratch with v104. Do not use Traffic Meter after setting up the RBR. 

Unfortunately, after rolling back kto 2.6.1.40 my system was still messed up so I needed to do a factory reset regardless. But I won't be upgrading to a known buggy version of the Firmware. I *just* now finally coaxed my last satellite to connect.

Circle is still being used for parental controls:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/Missing-parental-controls-on-firmwar...

Circle was always problematic, I believe more on the Disney side than the Netgear side. I tolerated the dropouts it caused because the ability to ad hoc pause profiles was pretty useful to me.  Once IFTTT removed support (or Disney withdrew from IFTTT, not sure which), Circle was no longer of any value to me so I disabled it. A side benefit is that my Orbi mesh system has been rock solid since doing so. Well... until this 2.7.2.104 firmware update.

I'll know in a few more hours if all this work I've done to get back to a working system has been worth it, but I'll not be applying 104 to my Orbi again.

Best Regards,

Marc

Message 56 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Others have reported v104 working after disabling of TM FYI. Others have reporting seeing the same problem with revertted FW as well. I believe this issue effects most FW versions, This Traffic Metter was confirmed to be a known problem by NG to one forum user. I haven't used Traffic Metter at all and my RBK50 works fine and with DST enabled. 

A factory reset was also confirmed to fix these issues as well on v104, regardless of version as you seem to still have problems with what your using. This should help you. 

Good Luck

Message 57 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Also you can ask the OP of these thread, since everyone has hijacked it, on his experiences with v104 as well: @BillYoung 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/bd-p/en-business-orbi-pro

I believe he's still on v104. 

Message 58 of 126
marcdcmb
Tutor

marcpilot@gmail.com

Thank you @FURRYe38. Part of what gives me pause is that I was running 2.6.1.40 with Traffic Meter enabled and DST checked with no issues whatsoever, even through last weekend's time change. So I'm pretty sure that we'll ultimately find this to be a multi-causal problem.

If my internet connectivity begins to fail once more I'll go whole hog on upgrading to 104 (since I'll have proved to myself that the FW doesn't really matter), with a factory reset with restore (I have a reasonable number of DNS reservations and other customizations to accommodate the needs of my smarthome pieces), disable DST and Disable TM. 

If that fails, I'll just have to Factory reset again and manually recreate my settings as the backup would be suspect in retaining one or more of the causal configurations.

I'm hopeful that 104 is indeed the main causal agent as I really didn't plan on spending my weekend chasing this.

Best Regards,

Marc

Message 59 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I feel the same way about these different features causing problems. Seem to have been triggers by the time change for sure. I believe we saw similar issues a while back or something last year. 

I did notice even on my Orbi AX system, after over a year of no DNS issue, it finally triggered 3 events this past week. I found my DST had not been enabled. It also doesn't use TM. After enabling DST, I haven't see any DNS issues since. 

Know that these systems are somehow tied to some NG cloud services. See that those services, if not in good working order, cause problems for there connected Orbis. This happend about the same time last year on Orbi AX. Users systems started working badly. Wasn't a FW issue, NG said it was some cloud service thing they messed up. Why this is, now idea. 

You should be good after the reset. I would avoid TM for now. Others told me that after doing a reset and enableing DST, there working ok now, regardless of FW version. 

Enjoy.

Message 60 of 126
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ya I feel the same way about these different features causing problems. Seem to have been triggers by the time change for sure. I believe we saw similar issues a while back or something last year. 

I did notice even on my Orbi AX system, after over a year of no DNS issue, it finally triggered 3 events this past week. I found my DST had not been enabled. It also doesn't use TM. After enabling DST, I haven't see any DNS issues since. 

Know that these systems are somehow tied to some NG cloud services. See that those services, if not in good working order, cause problems for there connected Orbis. This happend about the same time last year on Orbi AX. Users systems started working badly. Wasn't a FW issue, NG said it was some cloud service thing they messed up. Why this is, now idea. 

You should be good after the reset. I would avoid TM for now. Others told me that after doing a reset and enableing DST, there working ok now, regardless of FW version. 

Enjoy.

Seem to have been triggers by the FIRMWARE for sure. 

Message 61 of 126
WillRogersM
Tutor

After spending an inordinate amount of time trying to go back to the former firmware, I was eventually unable to log on either with my password or with default "password". Could not access password recovery because it said my correct answers were wrong.

In this state, it worked for some devices not others. (Android worked, Apple devices not at all. Yes, rebooted everything.)

Finally did a factory reset -- unplugged base unit for 5 minutes, powered off modem, powered up the base unit while holding the "reset" button until it went from red-orange to green back to red-orange. Powered up modem. And went to the ORBI app and did a new set up using the same networks and passwords -- and eveyrthing reconnected (at least everything I've checked so far, which is lots but not all). I HAD to update to the latest. much discussed firmware so we'll see over the next few days. (Everything was fine when I first updated and then the trouble started, big time, a day later.

Worth a try.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 62 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Try using a wired PC or laptop and web browser to configure the RBR from a factory setup instead of the Orbi app. Be sure to not enable Traffic Meter as well.

@WillRogersM wrote:

After spending an inordinate amount of time trying to go back to the former firmware, I was eventually unable to log on either with my password or with default "password". Could not access password recovery because it said my correct answers were wrong.

In this state, it worked for some devices not others. (Android worked, Apple devices not at all. Yes, rebooted everything.)

Finally did a factory reset -- unplugged base unit for 5 minutes, powered off modem, powered up the base unit while holding the "reset" button until it went from red-orange to green back to red-orange. Powered up modem. And went to the ORBI app and did a new set up using the same networks and passwords -- and eveyrthing reconnected (at least everything I've checked so far, which is lots but not all). I HAD to update to the latest. much discussed firmware so we'll see over the next few days. (Everything was fine when I first updated and then the trouble started, big time, a day later.

Worth a try.

Message 63 of 126
BAM2019
Star

I had the same issue with the passowrd and secuirty questions not working.  Instead of a reset, I tried again and this time I left the security answers blank and clicked ok and then I was able to log into my ORBI Operating system and adjust the settings. Go figure!

Message 64 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Interesting. I didn't know you could leave the questions blank. Well if it works for you then, why not.

@BAM2019 wrote:

I had the same issue with the passowrd and secuirty questions not working.  Instead of a reset, I tried again and this time I left the security answers blank and clicked ok and then I was able to log into my ORBI Operating system and adjust the settings. Go figure!

Message 65 of 126
SidewinderX
Guide

Just chiming in that I think I'm having the same issue -- started the past week (...after DST) where the router is dropping selected devices... not everything; for example the wired Roku never looses connection, nor does my work laptop (wifi+VPN), but most other laptops / cell phones are losing their connection. It comes back after I reboot, but that only lasts for a few hours to half-a-day before I have to restart the router again.

I'm trying the DST/NTP sever update now, and will disable traffic meter and hope that works.

Message 66 of 126
Gebla
Apprentice

And in the meantime the firmware is still available for download without any comments on known issues.

It seams that things like this is outside the normal service procedures and therefore ignored. The problem, as customer, is that moving to another company makes no difference as the other company will have similar processes in place.

Message 67 of 126
vajim
Master

@Gebla wrote:

And in the meantime the firmware is still available for download without any comments on known issues.

It seams that things like this is outside the normal service procedures and therefore ignored. The problem, as customer, is that moving to another company makes no difference as the other company will have similar processes in place.

The root of the problem is that most people interpret 'available' to mean 'must have'

sad

Message 68 of 126
Gebla
Apprentice

The root of the problem is that most people interpret 'available' to mean 'must have'

sad

If teh only description in the release note is security fixes and the device portal highlights and recommends a firmware update is must have maybe the preferred response.

Message 69 of 126
vajim
Master

@Gebla wrote:

sad

If teh only description in the release note is security fixes and the device portal highlights and recommends a firmware update is must have maybe the preferred response.

what?

Message 70 of 126
WillRogersM
Tutor

Indeed, I had been lured into a false sense of security because previous firmware upgrades had always been problem-free.

Now that I know about the community, in the future I will check this board for potential problems before I update.

However, let me emphasize that doing the factory reset, as described, was painless. Had I known how painless it would have been, I could have saved hours upon hours.

If NETGEAR cares, I have a pretty good idea what happened. They should feel free to contact me. (I know I'm listed as "Initiate" but I'm not by a long shot.)

Message 71 of 126
WillRogersM
Tutor

Do try the factory reset as I described it. Make sure to use the same network settings (name and password). For me, EVERYTHING connected flawlessly.

I too had tried just a reset (or reboot really) with results similiar to yours. The factory reset seems to have done the trick. 

The latest firmware (which, as I noted, I HAD to install) is working just fine now.

Wish you well.

@SidewinderX wrote:

Just chiming in that I think I'm having the same issue -- started the past week (...after DST) where the router is dropping selected devices... not everything; for example the wired Roku never looses connection, nor does my work laptop (wifi+VPN), but most other laptops / cell phones are losing their connection. It comes back after I reboot, but that only lasts for a few hours to half-a-day before I have to restart the router again.

I'm trying the DST/NTP sever update now, and will disable traffic meter and hope that works.

Message 72 of 126
NetBuddy
Star

Glad to have found this thread.  I actually downgraded to 2.7.2.102 and then found this thread. 

I had turned on Traffic Meter last week. I didn't put together the DNS Relay issue and my turning on Traffic Meter.  I have now shut off Traffic Meter and my network is stable again.

This was a real pain because I set as many of the devices on my network as I could to switch to directly access the Google DNS Server instead of Comcast which I thought was the original issue.  Things like my Honeywell smart thermostat couldn't phone home and was not able to be managed with the app or web.  All is well again.

I guess I echo other posters and see what comes in 2.8 some day.

Thank you!

David

Message 73 of 126
SidewinderX
Guide

I think I'll have to do the factory reset. The updated NTP settings doesn't seem to solved it for me. Still getting regular disconnects. 😞

Message 74 of 126
vajim
Master

@SidewinderX wrote:

I think I'll have to do the factory reset. The updated NTP settings doesn't seem to solved it for me. Still getting regular disconnects. 😞

How about the Traffic meter?

Message 75 of 126
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7