Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 - 2.7.2.104 firmware - Issues?

Ursa99
Star

Two spontaneous reboots of the RBR50.  Something seems amiss. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 101 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Is Traffic Meter enabled? Disable it if it is. Same for Armor or Circle. 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update?

@Ursa99 wrote:

Two spontaneous reboots of the RBR50.  Something seems amiss. 

Message 102 of 126
Ursa99
Star

I powered it off, disconnected the power cable for a minute and rebooted.  Traffic meter has never been touched so it should be at the default  (off).  24 hrs and so far so good with latest FW.

Hard to believe that after this many years and FW updates that Netgear can't get a handle on these issues, or give detailed instruction how to properly update the FW to insure stable uptime.

Message 103 of 126
vajim
Master

@Ursa99 wrote:

I powered it off, disconnected the power cable for a minute and rebooted.  Traffic meter has never been touched so it should be at the default  (off).  24 hrs and so far so good with latest FW.

Hard to believe that after this many years and FW updates that Netgear can't get a handle on these issues, or give detailed instruction how to properly update the FW to insure stable uptime.

true...or you could be like me and NOT do firmware updates until they had time to be exposed to the general population.  Thank you

Message 104 of 126
SidewinderX
Guide

Reporting back in after a week -- doing a firmware reset seems to have done the trick. Did not turn on traffic meter after the firmware reset. 

Message 105 of 126
Gebla
Apprentice

Wifi still very slow, I will move back to a previous release. Second time after a firmware update I need to refer back to a previous release. Thank you Netgear for your excellent work

Message 106 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset and setup from scratch next time. Not seeing any wifi isuses here with v104 loaded. 

@Gebla wrote:

Wifi still very slow, I will move back to a previous release. Second time after a firmware update I need to refer back to a previous release. Thank you Netgear for your excellent work

Message 107 of 126
Gebla
Apprentice

Moved back to 2.5.1.16 this is the only reliable firmware for me.
Considering the price of the system I should not do all this work and or do factory reset.
Factory reset means I will have to set all port forwarding again and several iot devices in the network must be reconfigured again

In this case firmware update caused reset of the router so it means that i will need another hour of work
Message 108 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

To avoid having to configure router settings after reset or anything else, one should have a backup configuration to file saved. Helps save time if a rest is needed. 

Message 109 of 126
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

To avoid having to configure router settings after reset or anything else, one should have a backup configuration to file saved. Helps save time if a rest is needed. 

Hopefully @FURRYe38 and his team will do a better QA job with the next firmware release 

Message 110 of 126
Embattle
Guide

Still working without issue after disabling TM.

Message 111 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

I re-enabled mine to see if anything would appear. Configured No Limit on TM is all. Just reporitng all data flow. Nothing to date. 

@Embattle wrote:

Message 112 of 126
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I re-enabled mine to see if anything would appear. Configured No Limit on TM is all. Just reporitng all data flow. Nothing to date. 

@Embattle wrote:

but was yours ever broke?

Message 113 of 126
Wire1852
Apprentice

@vajim wrote:

The root of the problem is that most people interpret 'available' to mean 'must have'

The root of the problem is that most people interpret 'available' to mean 'must have'

I'm fed up with the Netgear Orbi zealots BS blaming the users for installing software updates that the company released. By now it's obvious the software releases by Netgear Orbi have not been fully tested & we're the guinea pigs for what's suppose to be commercial software. Version 2.7.2.104 was put out over 2 months ago & with all the problems that users have encountered Netgear had not reported any issues on their firmware download pages or FIXED THE DAMN FIRMWARE. 

We're at a point now that users have no idea when to update Orbi software.  Netgear has lost all credibilty. Orbi - Performance may be great but reliability sucks.

Message 114 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

You can ask the forum moderator for a beta. There is one avaiable if you want to try it. 

Message 115 of 126
Wire1852
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You can ask the forum moderator for a beta. There is one avaiable if you want to try it. 

That's what Version 2.7.2.104 is - a Beta.

Message 116 of 126
Jroach
Luminary

Vajim, if Netgear has a beta version does that mean they admit an issue?
Like you, frustrated so much with the problem I went out and bought an RBK852. As I read this thread I think of all the people trying to keep their lives in order; work at home, kids and school, seniors that don’t have the skills to bounce back and forth. Netgear doesn’t understand who their users are.
Message 117 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

No v104 is Release. There is a version past that which you can get from the forum moderator if you ask about it. 

@Wire1852 wrote:

That's what Version 2.7.2.104 is - a Beta.

Message 118 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Try posting in the Orbi AX forum for your model Orbi. Different hardware AND different FW. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Good Luck. 

@Jroach wrote:
Vajim, if Netgear has a beta version does that mean they admit an issue?
Like you, frustrated so much with the problem I went out and bought an RBK852. As I read this thread I think of all the people trying to keep their lives in order; work at home, kids and school, seniors that don’t have the skills to bounce back and forth. Netgear doesn’t understand who their users are.

Message 119 of 126
Jroach
Luminary

Furrye38, understood.

Just commiserating within this thread that I had to go out and spend over $700 to fix the problem as I couln't afford the down time anymore.  Constant reboots, experimenting with turning features off/on....  I might return the RBK852 and reinstall the RBR50 as the RBK852 didn't really do anything for my overall performance (just helped with reliability).

Message 120 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Understand. However the one main issue with Orbi AC was Traffic Meter seems to have been the cause of some users problems. This was ackknowledged by NG recently. They also have a beta build for those users who want to try it. Again this is only for the Orbi 50 series. 

If your having problems with the Orbi AX, I would suggest posing in the Orbi AX forum and get help there for that system. Others are seeing some problems in DNS. Some are not. There maybe help for you yet in that forum

@Jroach wrote:

Furrye38, understood.

Just commiserating within this thread that I had to go out and spend over $700 to fix the problem as I couln't afford the down time anymore.  Constant reboots, experimenting with turning features off/on....  I might return the RBK852 and reinstall the RBR50 as the RBK852 didn't really do anything for my overall performance (just helped with reliability).

Message 121 of 126
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Understand. However the one main issue with Orbi AC was Traffic Meter seems to have been the cause of some users problems.

I wouldn't use the word 'some'.  More like LOTS of users.

Message 122 of 126
Modelrailroader
Aspirant

Same issue, started with no DNS and the best fix to date has been to turn off Traffic Meter.  What had been a flood of [DoS Attack: ARP Attack] from source: 192.168.1... (the internal network) in the logs betwen one or the other satellites and one or more devices has calmed but not disappeared.

To trigger an "attack", all I need to do is suspend my laptop for a few seconds (10 - 20) and then wake it back up.  Network performance crawls.  Disabling laptop wifi and re-enabling stops the cascade.  There is a delay but ARP Attack shows up in the Orbi log with the correct timestamp. All devices reporting current with patches.

Moving devices more prone to disconnect / reconnect onto the Guest network also seems to reduce impact.

Hope the steps to reproduce might aid in a permanent fix.  I do have Circle enabled.

Message 123 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Circles been known to cause problems as well. There a long thread regarding Circles past experiences. Disable Circle and check. 

@Modelrailroader wrote:

Same issue, started with no DNS and the best fix to date has been to turn off Traffic Meter.  What had been a flood of [DoS Attack: ARP Attack] from source: 192.168.1... (the internal network) in the logs betwen one or the other satellites and one or more devices has calmed but not disappeared.

To trigger an "attack", all I need to do is suspend my laptop for a few seconds (10 - 20) and then wake it back up.  Network performance crawls.  Disabling laptop wifi and re-enabling stops the cascade.  There is a delay but ARP Attack shows up in the Orbi log with the correct timestamp. All devices reporting current with patches.

Moving devices more prone to disconnect / reconnect onto the Guest network also seems to reduce impact.

Hope the steps to reproduce might aid in a permanent fix.  I do have Circle enabled.

Message 124 of 126
VanillaIcee
Aspirant

Same here. Same issues with 2.7.2.104 and countless problems over the year. Never buying from Netgear again.

Message 125 of 126
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7