Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 + 2 RBR50S -Need optimal settings and some answers

Atlixnor
Guide

RBR50 + 2 RBR50S -Need optimal settings and some answers

Hi, 

My system is still not stable. First I struggled for months to get Sonos to work. Now it drops out frequently. This time I think it has to be with non-optimal settings or that neighbor switched his 2.4 GHz channel.

But why is my 2 satellites operating on both Ch 13 and Ch 9 when I set it to operate on Ch 13? See attachments.

Wifi settings 

The router gui shows no problems, both satellites up. But in a room close to one of the hubs, I have no signal... (both to cellphone and Google Nesthome) and the Macbook kept the connection to the router downstairs.

Also I have Disney Circle enabled, but no devices are added to a profile. Could this still be the culprit? (During testing with support we turned off Circle for a while and it worked better)

also have Bitdefender Security enabled.

Guest wifi is turned off.

Message 1 of 17
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Re: RBR50 + 2 RBR50S -Need optimal settings and some answers

Here is one user's "Best Practices":

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

These may not be applicable to you as your configuration is for European WiFi channels. You're suspicion about nearby neighbors interfering with your signal may be correct. Here's an article about how WiFi handles interference:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/802-eleventy-what-a-deep-dive-into-why-wi-fi-...

I'd try changing channels on 2.4 gHz. If you can get a WiFi signal strength app on a smart phone you may be able to find a clear channel. Good Luck!

Message 2 of 17
Atlixnor
Guide

hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have enabled all the recommended settings, and we will see. 

Question: It is currently on Ch 13, because this is entirely free and the biggest distance from Ch 1. Sonos Net is running on Ch 1. Isn´t it correct that the channel should preferably be either 1, 6 or 12? I see Channel 3 is available here, but there are lots of neighbors on Ch 1 anCh 6, so not sure if Ch 3 is better than Ch 13. 

Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Primary channels to use are 1, 6, 11 or in other countries outside of Canada and USA, channel 13 if its available. All other channels are sub channels used by the wifi system. 

@Atlixnor wrote:

hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have enabled all the recommended settings, and we will see. 

Question: It is currently on Ch 13, because this is entirely free and the biggest distance from Ch 1. Sonos Net is running on Ch 1. Isn´t it correct that the channel should preferably be either 1, 6 or 12? I see Channel 3 is available here, but there are lots of neighbors on Ch 1 anCh 6, so not sure if Ch 3 is better than Ch 13. 

Message 4 of 17
Atlixnor
Guide

hi again,

The problem is still there. I think something may be wrong with one of the Satellites. The same Satellite dropped the signal , even after doing all the recommended settings above. The distance is less than 30 ft to the router. I would guess 20 ft. All systems running 2.5.1.16.

I saw it also can help to disable 20/40 band coexistence, so I did this after a reboot.

Next on th elist to try now, is disabling Circle, Armor. Factory defaults I alredy did twice with Netgear Support.

What I really do not like with Netgear, is that after 90 days we have to pay to get support. I do not know, but I think most other companies provide this for free under warranty period.

Message 5 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

20 feet is too close. Try 30 feet or more. 

Also swap locations with the other RBS to see if the problem follows. 

Message 6 of 17
Atlixnor
Guide

I switched them, and the different Satellite also disconnected...So now I moved it further away. It is at least 30 feet away. What is the max?

Noticed that Security is "Not enabled anymore in the router". Why is that? Do I have to reboot the router to get Armour back? At the same time Armour seems to be working. I get notifications about viruses on a particular device beeing stopped.

Message 7 of 17
Mstrbig
Master

Distance is relavent to environment. Straight line of site is going to give you more distance tollerance than through walls, 2nd floor, etc.. Regarding security, do you mean password for WIFI or firewall, virus protection? You would have to reconfigure the WIFI security, but for me I never enable any other router security, as it just causes intermittant issues.

Message 8 of 17
Atlixnor
Guide

Hi, there is a wooden wall around the main router room.

Security : Talking about Armour
Message 9 of 17
Mstrbig
Master

You will see 2.4 Ghz channels choosing 2 channels and 5Ghz choosing 4 channels. This is standard, since forcing a single channel can be problematic and it builds reduntantcy.

For example my system is configured as this:

2.4Ghz = 1(P)+5(S)

5Ghz = 36+40+44+48(P)

Message 10 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Distance can be based on building materials. Mostly wood and sheet rock, distance can be more than 30 feet. Seen others post about having RBS out at 50-60 feet. I had mine once at 40 feet and worked well. 

@Atlixnor wrote:

I switched them, and the different Satellite also disconnected...So now I moved it further away. It is at least 30 feet away. What is the max?

Noticed that Security is "Not enabled anymore in the router". Why is that? Do I have to reboot the router to get Armour back? At the same time Armour seems to be working. I get notifications about viruses on a particular device beeing stopped.

Message 11 of 17
Atlixnor
Guide

hi,

Unfortunately still not stable, so I guess last option now is to disable Circle. But how? I disabled it in the app,and it says disabled in the app, but in the Orbi Web gui, it says "Enabled". Why?

To disable it, do I need to reset Circle to factory default?

Reset Orbi to factory defaults?

Message 12 of 17
Mstrbig
Master

@Atlixnor wrote:

hi,

Unfortunately still not stable, so I guess last option now is to disable Circle. But how? I disabled it in the app,and it says disabled in the app, but in the Orbi Web gui, it says "Enabled". Why?

To disable it, do I need to reset Circle to factory default?

Reset Orbi to factory defaults?

I find sometimes, when having weird issues, it's better to factory reset the Orbi and start fresh. 

Message 13 of 17
Atlixnor
Guide

yes, I reset it to factory. Plus the 2 Satellites. Before that I tried to reapply the latest firmware, but that did not work.

When fresh, I discovered that "Access control" was turned on. Maybe this was causing problems also? Now this is off, and Circle is off, and we will see how it goes.

Message 14 of 17
Mstrbig
Master

@Atlixnor wrote:

yes, I reset it to factory. Plus the 2 Satellites. Before that I tried to reapply the latest firmware, but that did not work.

When fresh, I discovered that "Access control" was turned on. Maybe this was causing problems also? Now this is off, and Circle is off, and we will see how it goes.

Keep us posted if you have success.

Message 15 of 17
Atlixnor
Guide

Will do.

Message 16 of 17
Atlixnor
Guide

It has been very stable except one time since last time. So, I turned off access Control and Circle. I am pretty sure it was Circle. The one time it went down, I think this is because 2.4 GHz channel is on Auto. It is now on the channel I would have set permanent.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7