Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 - Access Control Issue - 2.7.2.104 firmware

cdbarker
Guide

RBR50 - Access Control Issue - 2.7.2.104 firmware

Hi, this has been posted before but I want to know when Netgear are going to fix this issue. The other day, I noticed that my main desktop pc device connected to the Orbi was set to 'blocked' in the access control, thus meaning I had no access to the router/Orbi. The Orbi software, (web app or mobile app) would not save my setting when I tried to 'allow' my desktop pc device. The only solution is to turn of access control completely. 

When are Netgear going to fix this software issue?

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 - Access Control Issue - 2.7.2.104 firmware

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

Message 2 of 7
cdbarker
Guide

Hi FURRYe38
No, I haven't done a factory reset. Why should I have to revert to such a measure? This relates to my orbi config which presumably is in netgear's cloud storage. The problem is that the admin software UI is not permitting my changes to be saved for a given device , which happens to be the first device in my ACL list. This sounds like a software bug.
Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@cdbarker wrote:
Hi FURRYe38
No, I haven't done a factory reset. Why should I have to revert to such a measure? This relates to my orbi config which presumably is in netgear's cloud storage. The problem is that the admin software UI is not permitting my changes to be saved for a given device , which happens to be the first device in my ACL list. This sounds like a software bug.

Orbi configuration is entirely on the Orbi router. Nothing is stored in a Cloud.

I avoid Access Control issues by not using it.

When I have experimented with Access Control, my memory is that the web page is not intuitive.  For example, I seem to remember that changes to the tables (Allow/Block, removing devices from the three tables, etc.) only works when Access Control is "on".

Of course users should not have to take extreme measures to get products to work as they are expectred to.  However, erasing everything and starting over has been part of computer troubleshooting forever.  For some Orbi issues, it seems to be the only solution.

Message 4 of 7
cdbarker
Guide

Hi CrimpOn
Oh, so the config is local then. I see. My local data store must be corrupted in some way then as the UI isn't working. As I say, I have acl turned off to get around this annoying issue
Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Reason for a reset is sometimes after piling on different FW version, the code can become unstable with different versions and different configurations. So it's a valid troubleshooting step to just clear it all out and start over sometimes. Up to you though. 

Also saving a backup configuration to file helps save time if resets are needed. 

Message 6 of 7
cdbarker
Guide

Thanks all for the responses.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements