Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 After Firmware Update, Admin Login Credentials Don't Work

RBR50 After Firmware Update, Admin Login Credentials Don't Work

Hello!

I purchased and installed my Orbi system last May 2020. 

I am technically proficient and had no issues setting the router up with my two satellites and after spending some time tweaking the settings exactly to my preferences, was mostly very satisfied with the setup.

However, today I initiated a firmware update  from within the admin interface and after the update, it no longer recognizes the admin login information I've been using since I set it up almost 10 months ago. In fact, it was the very login I used to login to update the firmware this morning.

It also does not recognise the defaul login an Orbi router has when one first purchases the router, username: admin password: password.

The router prompts me to enter my security question answers in order to reset my password, but then tells me my answers are incorrect. They aren't. I had stored them. Also, since they were names of my family, I could hardly get them wrong, even if I hadn't stored them.

Can anybody please help. I don't want to have to reset, as I had quite a few custom settings and wasn't prepared to do that again today.

Thank you and kind regards,

Barbara

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 28

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@OcarinaMaker wrote:

However, today I initiated a firmware update  from within the admin interface and after the update, it no longer recognizes the admin login information I've been using since I set it up almost 10 months ago. In fact, it was the very login I used to login to update the firmware this morning.

It also does not recognise the defaul login an Orbi router has when one first purchases the router, username: admin password: password.

The router prompts me to enter my security question answers in order to reset my password, but then tells me my answers are incorrect. They aren't. I had stored them. Also, since they were names of my family, I could hardly get them wrong, even if I hadn't stored them.

What a disappointment. Sorry this happened to you.

The short answer is: You're screwed and have to do a Factory Reset and reconfigure the Orbi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMw4ePACgc4 

Factory Reset is what sets the Orbi credentials to "admin" and "password".

Before making any 'serious' changes to the Orbi configuration, I now "Save" the configuration to my PC before the changes and after them.  Doing a factory reset is vastly less work if the entire configuration can be loaded with one click.  Saved me two hours when I wrecked the web interface using telnet and had to reset.

Password Recovery has failed for me (once) and worked for me (once).  I never did figure out what caused the failure.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 28

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 28
vajim
Master

After Firmware Update....?

which one?

Message 3 of 28

Hi and thanks for responding. 

No, it doesn't help, because not only does the interface think my login credentials are wrong, but it also says my security question answers are incorrect. They aren't. They are absolutely correct, but it says they they aren't.

Thus it will not let me reset the login. 

I fear the only fix will end up being a hard reset of the router to factory, which I hope to not have to do.

Message 4 of 28

The latest one. Sorry, I can't get into the admin interface to verify it now, but when I initiated the update, I think it stated that the one available was 1.7xxxxx... I didn't know I was not going to be able to access my admin interface after I updated the firmware, so I didn't think to note the newest firmware version for my router.

Message 5 of 28
vajim
Master

after you verify and it is  V2.7.2.104 you may want to roll it back.  Lots of problems with  V2.7.2.104

otherwise see if these works for the password:

https://kb.netgear.com/31016/How-do-I-recover-my-Orbi-admin-password

Message 6 of 28
CrimpOn
Guru

@OcarinaMaker wrote:

What a disappointment. Sorry this happened to you.

The short answer is: You're screwed and have to do a Factory Reset and reconfigure the Orbi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMw4ePACgc4 

Factory Reset is what sets the Orbi credentials to "admin" and "password".

Before making any 'serious' changes to the Orbi configuration, I now "Save" the configuration to my PC before the changes and after them.  Doing a factory reset is vastly less work if the entire configuration can be loaded with one click.  Saved me two hours when I wrecked the web interface using telnet and had to reset.

Password Recovery has failed for me (once) and worked for me (once).  I never did figure out what caused the failure.

Message 7 of 28
vajim
Master

and don't forget to check your firmware.  it's for the best.

cheers

Message 8 of 28

Thank you for your reply. 

Again, as I said before, the password reset does not recognize my security answers as correct, though I KNOW they are the exact ones I entered when I set the router up. 

Not only did I record them in my notes, but the answers are for near relatives first and middle names, which I could in no way get wrong. 

Thus, I cannot reset my password.

Message 9 of 28

Attached are the screen shots from me trying to login and then trying to reset my password. 

Message 10 of 28

Thank  you for your reply. Though it was not what I hoped to hear, it is what I feared would be true.

I actually thought I had saved the settings, but I can't find the back up now. 

Can you tell me what the file extension would be in the name of a Netgear router backup settings file? 

Message 11 of 28
vajim
Master

@OcarinaMaker wrote:

Attached are the screen shots from me trying to login and then trying to reset my password. 

you may need to perfrom a factory reset

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

that may also address you firmware issue

Message 12 of 28
vajim
Master

@OcarinaMaker wrote:

Thank  you for your reply. Though it was not what I hoped to hear, it is what I feared would be true.

Can you tell me what the file extension would be in the name of a Netgear router backup settings file? 

maybe this will help

https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 13 of 28

Yes, I know how to back  up the configuration settings. I don't know how I forgot to do this on this setup. All I can find are the config backups for the router this one replaced. 😕 

That was a mistake I regret. 

Message 14 of 28
vajim
Master

Message 15 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the reset and setup from scratch as suggested by @CrimpOn No need to revert FW. V104 works well in my experience. 

Once you get the RBR setup again, be sure to save off a backup configuration to feil for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

@OcarinaMaker wrote:

The latest one. Sorry, I can't get into the admin interface to verify it now, but when I initiated the update, I think it stated that the one available was 1.7xxxxx... I didn't know I was not going to be able to access my admin interface after I updated the firmware, so I didn't think to note the newest firmware version for my router.

Message 16 of 28
vajim
Master

IF you use Google Chrome, perhaps this will help:

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95606?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

Message 17 of 28
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try the reset and setup from scratch as suggested by @CrimpOn No need to revert FW. V104 works well in my experience. 

Once you get the RBR setup again, be sure to save off a backup configuration to feil for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

@OcarinaMaker wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try the reset and setup from scratch as suggested by @CrimpOn and @vajim 

the @FURRYe38 experience may not work in your case.  Too bad.

Message 18 of 28
alokeprasad
Mentor

@OcarinaMaker wrote:

it has the extension

.cfg

Message 19 of 28
vajim
Master

@alokeprasad wrote:

@OcarinaMaker wrote:

it has the extension

.cfg

nice...proceed with caution for there lots of .cfg files on the typical pc unless you know the exact file name and location

Message 20 of 28

Yes, I found the config files for my backups of my previous router, an ASUS, settings, but apparently I never backed up the settings from my Orbi router. I'm pretty bummed. I know better than to run updates without backing up settings. I am kicking myself now.

Message 21 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Once you reset and setup from scratch, write down all log in info for safe keeping, then after the RBR and RBS are all setup again, besure to run a back up configuration on the RBR. Keep these on hand. Saves time if resets are needed. 

Good Luck. 

Message 22 of 28
vajim
Master

@OcarinaMaker wrote:

Yes, I found the config files for my backups of my previous router, an ASUS, settings, but apparently I never backed up the settings from my Orbi router. I'm pretty bummed. I know better than to run updates without backing up settings. I am kicking myself now.

Do we even know where the orbi saves this mysterious file?  When looking at the pc login area for the backup procedure it doesn't really say or makes it leaves it totally up to the user.

Another aspect of backup files for your router, keep your settings at default.  Simple, then if you need to perform a factory you just do it.  I've never made any changes to the orbi settings. Why, no need.  For me the orbi runs fine as it.  In this case simple is better than living on the edge.  Enjoy.  

Message 23 of 28

Update: 

So, I ended up resetting my router and satellites, setting the most important settings the way I want them to be, and backing up my settings. 

I have a couple of questions:

1. I have an Orbi outdoor satellite, which the auto updater, from the beginning of all this, when I initiated the updates through the admin interface, said there was no firmware update for that particular satellite.  I think there must be one, but I can't find a list of compatible devices for the firmware updates available and I sure don't want to use the auto updater again. I'm inclined to do any future firmware updates manually.

The router and indoor satellite both have firmware version: V2.7.2.104

The outdoor satellite is still at: V2.3.5.32

I could use some advise for ensuring the correct, up-to-date firmware for that satellite.

2. The other question I  have is if that Netgear Armour is recommened by any of you. I skipped it and said no during setup, but maybe I should use the trial? 

There seems to be no way to access it through my admin interface when accessed via Chrome browser.

Netgear seems to want folks to use their app on a smartphone, but that app doesn't allow me to log into it . I mean, I choose the "sign in" option, and it never loads.

In fact, just to troubleshoot it, I also tried "Create a new account." and that results in the same thing...nothing loads. 

So far, I am pretty unimpressed with Netgears customer support and their Google Play Store app.

ASUS gave me a year of support. Netgear gives 90 days from purchase? 😕

I would have purchased ASUS again, but they had no mesh gear for outdoor use. 

Thank you, everybody, for the help and advice.

Barbara

Message 24 of 28
CrimpOn
Guru

The Orbi cfg file is stored wherever the browser puts downloaded files.  In my case, this is my "Downloads" folder.

The most recent firmware for the outdoor RBS50Y is 2.6.2.104

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBS50Y.aspx#download 

When I was first offered a "free trial" of Armor, my reaction was, "another thing to pay every year." and I thought, "no thanks."

People who participate in the Armor community forum may have formed a conclusion on whether it is worth the money.

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7