Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 After Firmware Update Laptop will not connect 5ghz

Svorde
Aspirant

RBR50 After Firmware Update Laptop will not connect 5ghz

After my RBR50 with satellite firmware update,  my Dell Laptop (Qualcomm QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Adapter) does not connect at 5ghz but the 2.4ghz.  The adapter is up to date and supports both bands.

Is there something to check or change to get back to faster band?  I apologize in advance if this is easy, old dog trying to learn new tricks.  I searched but no joy,

Thank you in advance,

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR50 After Firmware Update Laptop will not connect 5ghz

Alas, this is a frequent question on the forum and there does not appear to be a simple solution.  I am nowhere near an expert.  What I gather is that there are various 802.11 standards that govern the process of selecting a WiFi access point.  The device WiFi provides information about capabilities.  The AP provides information about capabilities.  There is negotiation.  And, finally the device decides which AP to connect to and on what channel.  People desparately want the Orbi to "take control" and say, "hey, dummy. you would be better off connecting to this AP (router or satellite) at this speed), so get with the program already!".

There are some recommendations that probably do not apply to your situation.  Such as: make sure the Orbi and satellite(s) are all on and stable before turning on the device.  There is a theory that the router "comes up first" and thus devices that are lying in wait for an SSID to appear will connect to the router before the satellite is even broadcasting.  In my environment, this is just pointless because there is no way I am going to go around and power cycle 35 devices when my Orbi gets rebooted.  In your case, the Orbi is entirely "up" before you turn on the laptop.

There is software at work that may cause devices to change connections after a period of time.  It might be worth doing an experiment.  i.e. connect the laptop and leave it connected for an hour or so.  Maybe it will "switch" to 5G.

Not being much help.  Sorry.

Message 2 of 7
Svorde
Aspirant

Thank you the information.  It is so Odd.  I made sure the drivers for the wireless adapter were up to date.  I am really sorry I updated the Orbi firmware at this point. I have had such solid connections until now.

Of course, you have to pay to call now.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch. 

@Svorde wrote:

After my RBR50 with satellite firmware update,  my Dell Laptop (Qualcomm QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Adapter) does not connect at 5ghz but the 2.4ghz.  The adapter is up to date and supports both bands.

Is there something to check or change to get back to faster band?  I apologize in advance if this is easy, old dog trying to learn new tricks.  I searched but no joy,

Thank you in advance,

Message 4 of 7
Svorde
Aspirant

What Firmware is currently loaded? [v2.3.5.30]
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?
[I am not sure, it says router in network map]

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? [2,700 sf]
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. [28 feet]

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. 

[I apologize, I cannot find manual channel]
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

[1 next door, but i put on ignore]

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

[I do not see those choices in the app]

Try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch. 

[Tried this one, but same]

[I am obviously not well versed in computers, but truly appreciate your reply trying to help me]

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Ah, yes, the "app".  Which causes so many posts that an entire Netgear community forum is devoted to it:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app

Most of these options are present in the "web interface" which came with Orbi from the beginning.  i.e. use a web browser and navigate to orbilogin.com  (I, personally, use the IP address of the router, which shows up in the app.)  My 'guess' is that Netgear believes options such as these are of no interest to the vast majority of customers and so does not offer them in the app.  (Or, maybe they are there and I just do not know where.  That's what the other forum is likely to know.)

What does the app show for the "link rate" on the laptop?

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Please make any of the suggested changes by using a web browser and logging into the RBRs web page. This is where you'll find those features. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7