Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 App and web interface don't agree. Which do I trust?

ron111157
Aspirant

RBR50 App and web interface don't agree. Which do I trust?

I have the RBR50, Firmware Version V2.3.5.30 and one satellite RBS50, Firmware Version V2.3.5.30.

I mostly use the web for management. I was in the firmware update screen and noticed the RBS50 always says "Waiting for connection"

It is connected when you look at connected devices,  5G mode, backhaul status good and it provides the ethernet connection for my main computer so it is connected.

However.....

When i look in the app under network map the satellite has a magenta dot and shows as offline and even shows a different IP address than the web page does.   It doesn't show up in the Device manager at all.

So is this normal?  Does the last app Version 2.4.18.6  have a glitch?  Can't remember but am pretty sure the status of the satellite was green and connected before this last app update.

Last, is version V2.3.5.30 the latest version?  The router status in Firmware update says it is.  I have seen on here there is a later version.  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 App and web interface don't agree. Which do I trust?

Message 6 of 10

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, there is new firmware available on the Netgear support site, 2.5.1.8.  Last fall, Netgear released a firmware update that totally messed up device naming and did not fix the SSL Certificate fiasco.  So, they pulled those updates and in (December?) released this one.  Many people have manually updated to it and it appears to be stable.  It did do away with our cute device images (sigh, no more Linux penguin).

If the system is working well, there is no reason to update the firmware, unless you just like "doing computer stuff."  The Release Notes on the download page identify some specific problems that have been fixed.  If those pertain to you, maybe it is worth doing.

As far as the web vs. app. on my Firmware Update page the Satellite says "Please wait a moment" for a LONG time.

And, if devices attached to the satellite are working fine, yet the app says the satellite is not connected.  well, duh!

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I can report that v2.5.1.8 works well for me and others. It does fix the device naming issue seen with v38 and v40. 

Ensure app is up to date. Remove the app, reboot device, then re-install the app to see if this fixes anything. 

@ron111157 wrote:

I have the RBR50, Firmware Version V2.3.5.30 and one satellite RBS50, Firmware Version V2.3.5.30.

I mostly use the web for management. I was in the firmware update screen and noticed the RBS50 always says "Waiting for connection"

It is connected when you look at connected devices,  5G mode, backhaul status good and it provides the ethernet connection for my main computer so it is connected.

However.....

When i look in the app under network map the satellite has a magenta dot and shows as offline and even shows a different IP address than the web page does.   It doesn't show up in the Device manager at all.

So is this normal?  Does the last app Version 2.4.18.6  have a glitch?  Can't remember but am pretty sure the status of the satellite was green and connected before this last app update.

Last, is version V2.3.5.30 the latest version?  The router status in Firmware update says it is.  I have seen on here there is a later version.  

Message 3 of 10
ron111157
Aspirant

Other than the stated problem I am more or less happy with it. Ten years ago I enjoyed "doing computer stuff" .  Now...Not so much!  I checked the 2.5.1.8 info and although I do have Sonos devices I've had no issues with them so I'll leave well enough alone till the next major update.

As for the app yes "duh" One of the main reasons I went with Orbi was they still have a web based interface. Not a fan of most phone apps and only use it as a quick check on the status anyway.  

Thanks. 

Message 4 of 10
ron111157
Aspirant

It was the latest version app. 2.4.18.6  I fact I just updated to it the other day . I actually don't use it that often.

I removed the app, rebooted and reinstalled.  No change!  I'll just go with the Web system.  

Thanks

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

You might post about this in the Orbi app forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app

Message 6 of 10
ron111157
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 

Ok I have reposted in the app forum

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 10
ron111157
Aspirant

Both the Web and the App recommended firmware updates today to V2.5.1.8. I updated the system and now they agree. Satellite on the App now shows Green  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome. Glad it's working now. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7