Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 - Attached devices gone really wacky

GASkinner
Tutor

RBR50 - Attached devices gone really wacky

I have successfully used the "Attched Devices" capability by managing names and other device info to monitor and manage my WiFi devices. For no apperent or obvious reason this info has gone completely worng (see attached).

Devices from #13 onward now show:

Odd numbers, and devices numbers in the "Device Name" field

"-----device: xx- in place of the IP address

The IP address in place of the MAC address

Connection all show as "Unkown"

What on earth is going on here?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

"Wacky" is a kind way to put it.  There are three tables in the Orbi router which map the device MAP address into an IP, a device "name", and a device "type".  Your tables are messed up.

My first try would be to power off the router and satellites.  Power on the router and wait for the ring light to go off, and then do the same to the satellites.  If this does not work, then:

You have two choices for how to get it back to normal (a) do a "factory reset" and enter the information again, or (b) make up a set of telnet commands to enter the tables in bulk.  I keep a text file with the telnet commands for the next time I have to perform a factory reset.  I am not 100% certain this will work because something has gone terribly wrong and more may be corrupted than just these three tables.

Honestly, since you are starting from scratch, it is probably faster and simpler to just type everything in.

Message 2 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What devices do you have connected? 

What browser are you using? Try a different broswer like IE11, Firefox or Opera...

@GASkinner wrote:

I have successfully used the "Attched Devices" capability by managing names and other device info to monitor and manage my WiFi devices. For no apperent or obvious reason this info has gone completely worng (see attached).

Message 3 of 12
GASkinner
Tutor

Router Firmware Version
V2.3.1.60

Bell HomeHub 3000

Devices (30-35) PC's, Alexa's, Cameras, Phillips Hue, Sonos, Tablets, Printer, WD storage device.

Browsers tried - Chrome, Firefox, Vivaldi, Edge.

Message 4 of 12
GASkinner
Tutor

Thanks for the info.

The power off and back on did not work.

I suppose factory reset is next option.

This really sucks, getting really tired of the Orbi and it's shananigans now. Maybe time for a change. I've had it now for 3 years and it is starting to "break" with random disconnections, poor connections and now this.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP modem already has WiFi and built in router. What mode is the modem working in? Modem or router mode? 

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Might need to factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch if a power OFF of the RBR for 30 seconds doesn't seem to help any.

Message 6 of 12
GASkinner
Tutor

The Bell modem is in bridge mode. It is not providing any WiFi signals.

I had them do this for me when they installed it.

Message 7 of 12
GASkinner
Tutor

WHy does the iOS and Android app show different data for the connected device than the dashboard does?

The 2 apps are still completely current and reflect accurate device info.

Message 8 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@GASkinner wrote:

WHy does the iOS and Android app show different data for the connected device than the dashboard does?

The 2 apps are still completely current and reflect accurate device info.

Just a guess, but the smartphone apps and the Orbi web interface may be done by entirely different programmers who don't talk to each other.  It certainly does not enhance their credibility.

Message 9 of 12
GASkinner
Tutor

Oh man! I just cannot catch a break on this issue.

I used to love Orbi so much... now not so much.

Message 10 of 12
GASkinner
Tutor

Just fyi.... tried the complete reset with a manual flush of the firmware. No luck!

On the plus side I now have a support ticket and they are trying to help, no resolution just yet.

This seems to be a pretty serious problem which makes managing attached device 100% impossible from the Orbi dashboard.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@GASkinner wrote:

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation