Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 - Attached not showing

Knorske
Aspirant

RBR50 - Attached not showing

I have had the RBR50 (and satellite) for a couple of years.  All was going well until the last few days.  I "installed" a new computer when some "challenges" appeared.  I have five Netear NAS on my home network.  When I try to access them, only three of the five are available.  Going to OrbiLogIn.com, all five show as being "attached" devices. I have turned ON "access," as well.  No change.

Any suggestion as to what I should do get all five NAS showing as part of my network?

Thank you.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

If this is the product:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/datasheet/en/RN212-RN214.pdf 

I would probably follow the installation guide:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_Desktop_IG_EN.pdf 

and maybe post a question in the community forum for Ready/Share NAS:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/bd-p/readynas-general 

The first page seems to have a number of posts about the 212 product.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Do other PCs see the NAS? 

Refer you to the PC and Windows support for help and information regarding how to connect to Network Shares. You might hit up the NAS forum for help and information as well. 

Message 2 of 12
Knorske
Aspirant

The two "missing" NAS do show on my laptop computers.

I have tried "reset," "restart" for the RBR50, checked with Dell about computer update, same for Windows 10.  Using Orgilogin, all five NAS show as "allowed" with status as "wired."

Again, on TWO desktop computers, only three of the five NAS show as part of "Network."  All five show on the laptop computers under "Network."  Of course, those NAS NOT showing on "Network" can not be accessed (by the two desktop computers).

Is there some sort of "status" or other option which will result in the two desktop computers having access to the "missing" NAS.

I did just "install" one of the two desktop computers, loaded Windows 10 (and have downloaded all updates), but the effect of NOT seeing the two "missing" NAS is a problem for BOTH desktop computers.  For the existing desktop, I made no changes, no new software, etc., when or after installing the "new" desktop computer.

This is very frustrating!  EVERYTHING seems to be "operating properly," but the two NAS will not appear!!!

Anyone else have some suggestions as to "next steps"?

Thank you.

Message 3 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

There was a similar issue with a NAS last week, and the problem was solved by powering off the entire Orbi network and restarting.

(Not "Factory Reset", just power on again.)

Message 4 of 12
Knorske
Aspirant

Well.  I did try the power-down, power-up, but with no positive results.

Since then, just recently, my laptops now do not show the two NAS as they did before.  Now, all my desktop and laptop computers show only the three NAS (as described in my original message).  I do wonder, too, if there is "something" in Windows 10 keeping these two (somewhat older) NAS from showing as part of my network.  In checking for "storage devices," four of the five NAS are on the list (the oldest of my NAS no longer makes this list, either!!!).  I know Windows 10 has loaded a couple of "upgrades," and I do wonder if they are the cause of the "no-show" NAS!!??

Any further suggestions are most surely welcome!! [The oldest NAS is the one with virtualy all my data files -- which are now "no there"!  Yikes!!]

Help!

Thank you.

Message 5 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

I agree with @FURRYe38 . Orbi recognizes the NAS boxes and shows them connected to the network.  This has something to do with the computer-NAS process. Netgear has a bunch of forums for NAS   at https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear 

(scroll down...and down...and down...)

Are the laptop computers running the same Windows software and applications as the desktops?

Is there enough space on one of the newer NAS that the new computer can see to hold the contentsof that oldest NAS?

Might consider using a laptop that has access to both to duplicate those essential files.

Message 6 of 12
Knorske
Aspirant

Thank you CrimpOn ...

I would like to transfer the data, unfortunately, the one I REALLY need is the one even the laptops can no longer "see."

I will try some of the other links you provided.

Thank you, again.

Message 7 of 12
Knorske
Aspirant

CrimpOn ...

God is good!  He recently allowed my "older" two NAS to show on my laptop (but, still, not on my desktops).  Would you please tell me the "best" way to "move" the files from my "old" ReadyNAS Duo to one of my newly-added ReadyNAS 212?

Thank you!!

Message 8 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@Knorske wrote:

God is good!  He recently allowed my "older" two NAS to show on my laptop (but, still, not on my desktops).  Would you please tell me the "best" way to "move" the files from my "old" ReadyNAS Duo to one of my newly-added ReadyNAS 212?

If the NAS units appear as drives in the Windows File Folder, my first attempt would be to right click on a top level folder on the old drive, select Copy, then right click on the new drive and right click Paste.  The progress bar may not move very quickly as the data is going across the network from the old NAS to your PC and then across the network again to the new NAS.

There is probably a NAS instruction to clone data from one NAS to another, but I have no experience with NAS (yet. Guess it's about time to buy one.)

Message 9 of 12
Knorske
Aspirant

CrimpOn ...

I may have (probably did!!) make an error in setting up two new ReadyNAS 212 units.  All seems to be fine, except there are NO SHARES in the volumns.  As such, I can not move any data files to them.  They otherwise show as attached, and so on.  I can "open" them, but they are blank.  The "book" says about four (or five) shares appear automatically when using "Setup Wizard" for new units.  I started by powering the NAS, then inserting two blank drives.  I was on RAIDar, and was lead to a setup process -- name, e-mail, and so on.  Again, they appear to be "OK," but just empty.  I tried "New Share," and RAIDar said the existing share (which is empty, with the unit not accepting any input) would be elimiated.  I was hesitant to continue -- considering I probably goofed from the beginning.

I was trying to move folders from my "old" ReadyNAS Duo to one of the new ReadyNAS 212 (with larger-capacity drives, by the way).  Many moons back, a contributor suggested using the "old and slow" ReadyNAS Duo as the backup for the faster NAS.  This was my plan.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Message 10 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

If this is the product:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/datasheet/en/RN212-RN214.pdf 

I would probably follow the installation guide:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_Desktop_IG_EN.pdf 

and maybe post a question in the community forum for Ready/Share NAS:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/bd-p/readynas-general 

The first page seems to have a number of posts about the 212 product.

Message 11 of 12
Knorske
Aspirant

CrimpOn ...

Golly.  I just do not know what to say, but thank you.  Every time you respond to one of my "challenges," it gets cleared up!  You must have a magic keyboard, or something.

As it turns out, I did follow the installation as prescribed -- except for one tiny point.  I powered up the NAS before inserting the blank drives.  I did create some new folders, in lieu of those the wizard was to set up, and those new folders showed on my laptop, and I was able to transfer my files to the new NAS from the old.  Whew!  I was beginning to think it would never happen.

Anyway.  Thank you for your time, effort and patience.  I appreciate it all very much.

You do need to get a/some ReadyNAS devices for your own system!!  They are great!

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7